JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#161 (permalink))
Old
Adriana (Offline)
New to JF

12-18-2009, 07:13 PM

I've always wanted to be a manga artist, but the weeaboos killed it for me. Plus I can't seem to finish the manga & doujins I make...

Can I have some salad, plz?
(#162 (permalink))
Old
Impmon51 (Offline)
New to JF

01-09-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Don't you need to be Japanese to be a manga artist?
Na, you simply have to know the basic style <w<
I've seen manga/anime from other countries X3
(#163 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-09-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impmon51 View Post
Na, you simply have to know the basic style <w<
I've seen manga/anime from other countries X3
I see. What's the basic style?
(#164 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
01-09-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Don't you need to be Japanese to be a manga artist?
You have a good point, however I personally think manga is more of a style rather than a name. Anyone and everyone could bake the same French cake, but each one would have a slightly different flavor. I think the same can go for art, particularly manga.
(#165 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
01-09-2010, 04:36 AM

I am trying to learn how to draw manga, but I would never do it as a job. It's just a hobby.
(#166 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-09-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superabbytcs View Post
You have a good point, however I personally think manga is more of a style rather than a name. Anyone and everyone could bake the same French cake, but each one would have a slightly different flavor. I think the same can go for art, particularly manga.
So you could also be a manhua or a manhwa artist?

Manga isn't a style, it is the Japanese word for "comics".

Every manga artist has his or her own style, and I am sure the Japanese artists don't appreciate being lumped into one single group as a single style.
(#167 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

01-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
So you could also be a manhua or a manhwa artist?

Manga isn't a style, it is the Japanese word for "comics".

Every manga artist has his or her own style, and I am sure the Japanese artists don't appreciate being lumped into one single group as a single style.
Sorry I didn't mean to word it that way. Bad example I guess.

Manga refers to the Japanese style of comics books. If you told someone here in the U.S. that you liked "comics" they would think of like Superman. If you told them you liked manga they would think of some sort of generic manga character, like a young woman in a school uniform or something.

I've never lived or been in Japan so I have no idea what Japanese people think of if you say "manga", but here in the U.S. it's more of a style than a word.
(#168 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

01-09-2010, 07:51 PM

Manga is used for japanese style comics while we use comics for western style drawings. if you look at the two there's differences in how we draw them. Japanese tend to focus a little more on daily life and focus on more than one type of audience and the artwork is mostly in black and white.

American (or European) comics are usually made for super heroes, though i don't read many American comics so i wouldn't really know. They do focus on the characters daily life but not as much as manga.

think of them as martial arts , there's different style like karate , jujitsu, and muay thai, but many people just tend to call it karate.

this is just what i think, i don't read alot of american comics so im not exposed to the different genres that exist in it.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#169 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superabbytcs View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to word it that way. Bad example I guess.

Manga refers to the Japanese style of comics books. If you told someone here in the U.S. that you liked "comics" they would think of like Superman. If you told them you liked manga they would think of some sort of generic manga character, like a young woman in a school uniform or something.

I've never lived or been in Japan so I have no idea what Japanese people think of if you say "manga", but here in the U.S. it's more of a style than a word.
If you told someone in the US you like comics, they might think superheros, and told them you like manga, they might think of comics from Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke View Post
Manga is used for japanese style comics while we use comics for western style drawings. if you look at the two there's differences in how we draw them. Japanese tend to focus a little more on daily life and focus on more than one type of audience and the artwork is mostly in black and white.

American (or European) comics are usually made for super heroes, though i don't read many American comics so i wouldn't really know. They do focus on the characters daily life but not as much as manga.

think of them as martial arts , there's different style like karate , jujitsu, and muay thai, but many people just tend to call it karate.

this is just what i think, i don't read alot of american comics so im not exposed to the different genres that exist in it.
You both keep saying "style" but not what it is.

I do agree, if you look at the two there are differences in the ways they are drawn, which is why I have yet to be fooled by an "OEL manga".

If you wanted to say "I want to draw comics in the style of Osamu Tezuka or Kazuo Umezu" then I would understand what you are saying. But just saying "I want to draw in manga style" is meaningless, as within manga there are as many different styles and techniques, from the artwork to the storytelling as there are creators.

And those many people are wrong. The people that actually study and practice jujitsu and muay thai don't call their martial art "karate" only people too ignorant to know better.
(#170 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

01-10-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
If you told someone in the US you like comics, they might think superheros, and told them you like manga, they might think of comics from Japan.

You both keep saying "style" but not what it is.

I do agree, if you look at the two there are differences in the ways they are drawn, which is why I have yet to be fooled by an "OEL manga".

If you wanted to say "I want to draw comics in the style of Osamu Tezuka or Kazuo Umezu" then I would understand what you are saying. But just saying "I want to draw in manga style" is meaningless, as within manga there are as many different styles and techniques, from the artwork to the storytelling as there are creators.

And those many people are wrong. The people that actually study and practice jujitsu and muay thai don't call their martial art "karate" only people too ignorant to know better.
point i was making. It's sounds so much better when it's in my head but when i write it out it sounds like crap. meant to say dont group them together but most people already know the difference between the two. also i wasn't calling Manga a style, i meant the type of drawing techniques they use. Everybody starts from somewhere. it varies from artist to artist like Ken Akamatsu creator of Love Hina and Kentaro Yabuki creator of To Love Ru. they're both completely different from each other but they started off learning how to draw from a basic foundation and molded their work into their own unique way. but your right MMM. Ken Akamatsu started drawing after reading Sailor Moon. I would like to draw in the style of Ken. He's the reason i started drawing again, it's simple but adds detail to his work that i like.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders