LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-03-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
With the way American comics are becoming so Japanese influenced now, not really.
Really? I think American comics are still pretty much American comics. I think it would be a stretch to say American comics are going through a "Japanese wave" or anything like that.

Quote:
Besides, surely it's possible to work as a comic book artist in Japan even if you're a foreigner. I heard the mangaka for Cutie Honey were Gaijin.
I have never heard of that. You might be thinking of an American version of The Dirty Pair that came out, but those artists lived in the US.

Quote:
Though surely at least twice as hard to be a comic artist in Japanese if you're Japanese right?
I am not sure what this sentence means. Are you saying it would be easier for an foreigner to make manga in Japan than a Japanese to make comics in America? Considering the trade deficit of American comics to Japan VS manga to America, I think that would be a hard argument to make.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

02-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Really? I think American comics are still pretty much American comics. I think it would be a stretch to say American comics are going through a "Japanese wave" or anything like that.
Umm er..last time I looked at a comic department, all the American ones looked Japanese styled. Even Spiderman was looking a bit Japanese styled.

Quote:
I have never heard of that. You might be thinking of an American version of The Dirty Pair that came out, but those artists lived in the US.
Umm er...perhaps. Eh-heh. ^^;
I don't really remember that for sure. But I remember reading something one time about Americans who became Japanese mangaka. And I thought it was Cutie Honey. Though maybe it was Dirty Pair.

Quote:
I am not sure what this sentence means. Are you saying it would be easier for an foreigner to make manga in Japan than a Japanese to make comics in America? Considering the trade deficit of American comics to Japan VS manga to America, I think that would be a hard argument to make.
Ummmm...what? I guess I'm not good at wording things well.

I just figure the easiest job for a foreigner to get in Japan would be English teacher. And so being foreign would make it twice as difficult to make it in Japan as a comic maker than it would be in one's native country.

As in...an American would have an easier time getting in Marvel than they would getting into Kodansha.

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
lycheegirl (Offline)
New to JF

02-03-2008, 07:58 PM

Hi so you like drawing manga so do I. What would you say is your best drawing? Mine is one of Inyusha. Hope that we can keep in contact
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Faggotry (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Faggotry Send a message via MSN to Faggotry Send a message via Skype™ to Faggotry
02-05-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light0yagami View Post
i was just wondering how many other people like me want to be a manga artist someday
No. mainly because, drawing people with increasingly sad looking faces, isn't that fun.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
NatsuNatsu (Offline)
The ultimate manga-ka <3

Send a message via Skype™ to NatsuNatsu
02-05-2008, 07:07 PM

I'd very much love to be a mnga artist....It's my lifelong dream ;-;

I think I may have a real chance once I get manga studio ^3^

I love emo bois C:

(#26 (permalink))
Old
VisualKei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to VisualKei Send a message via Yahoo to VisualKei
02-06-2008, 08:05 PM

It would be fun... but I can't really draw.

Besides... I'm not saying it's impossible, but you rarely hear of authentic manga from Japan being drawn by someone who was born elsewhere.

OFFICIAL OWNER OF HIZAKI AND JASMINE YOU
(#27 (permalink))
Old
XsuicideXkittyX (Offline)
New to JF

02-06-2008, 08:47 PM

yeh i wanna be a manga artist but i dont think im good enought some ppl say i am a good drawer but when i look at the pro stuff im like i'll never be like that *sobs*

this is my first time postin just joined
(#28 (permalink))
Old
NatsuNatsu (Offline)
The ultimate manga-ka <3

Send a message via Skype™ to NatsuNatsu
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Hello! Welcome to da forums!

Yeah, I totally knw how ya feel ;-;

I love emo bois C:

(#29 (permalink))
Old
Hyrolle (Offline)
New to JF

02-09-2008, 08:34 AM

One day I hope to become a Manga artist. Im 13 atm and Everyone comments me on how well I draw and I won the Art award at my school... Perhaps I should post images of my work?

But the one thing I'm wondering about is does anyone know the salary of a Manga artist?
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Umm er..last time I looked at a comic department, all the American ones looked Japanese styled. Even Spiderman was looking a bit Japanese styled.
I don't know what "Japanese-styled" means, but please ask a Japanese person if they think the latest Spiderman looks like it is from Japan.

Quote:
Umm er...perhaps. Eh-heh. ^^;
I don't really remember that for sure. But I remember reading something one time about Americans who became Japanese mangaka. And I thought it was Cutie Honey. Though maybe it was Dirty Pair.
The Dirty Pair authors don't live in Japan. Maybe you were thinking of "MegaTokyo" which is an OEL manga that will (or is) being released in Japanese.

Ummmm...what? I guess I'm not good at wording things well.

Quote:
I just figure the easiest job for a foreigner to get in Japan would be English teacher. And so being foreign would make it twice as difficult to make it in Japan as a comic maker than it would be in one's native country.

As in...an American would have an easier time getting in Marvel than they would getting into Kodansha.

I see know...and I think you are correct in this assumption.