JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   anyone wanna be a manga artist (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/12153-anyone-wanna-manga-artist.html)

Kajitsu 02-09-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lycheegirl (Post 387757)
Hi so you like drawing manga so do I. What would you say is your best drawing? Mine is one of Inyusha. Hope that we can keep in contact

I hope to be a manga artist, too. My best drawing is one of, well, Kajitsu. As I say: Crossroad, read it sometime!

KudoSan 02-10-2008 01:19 AM

I sure do. Im making one now though... with my friends, we have a company called Nerd Comix Ink. and its going smoothly...I think Im on like...page 56 so far. :/

auran 02-10-2008 01:24 AM

me I Do Me Over Here Look At Me Plz

Shidash 02-10-2008 05:38 PM

I would like to be an American manga author someday, also known as a gensaku-sha. The key is that I do not want to move to Japan, I want to write American manga despite the fact that I am learning Japanese already. It is fine to want to write Japanese manga, but it seems as if many of the people here are chasing unrealistic dreams without a set path. In order to achieve your goals you need to have steps. To be a manga artist they may be:

1. Learn about art, comics, and manga. Read a lot and make mental notes of things that you want to focus on. Read how to draw books, buy the tools that you will need to draw manga and practice. Take classes in art.

2. Get an account at a place like deviantART and practice. Listen to critique, change things, draw some short comics.

3. Get art published at least five times before moving any further.

4. Evaluate whether or not you are able to do the writing, toning, inking, and lettering for a graphic novel. Practice whatever you decide to do alone, and practice with any partners you have (see next step for that)

5. Find partner(s) to work with if needed

6. Enter competitions such as Tokyopop's Rising Stars of Manga competition. If that fails, practice. Enter again. Send work (NOT THE WORK THAT YOU ARE ENTERING) off to publishers. Show professionals your work and ask for critique.

7. Once you have a few footholds in the industry you should start trying to find a publisher or self publish your work. The easiest way to do this is to win or place highly in Tokyopop's RSoM contest, though there are many other ways.

8. Work, and continue to practice. Continue to seek critique and advice. You will not become better without this.

For me my steps are:

1. Read a lot of both normal books and manga. Make mental notes about the story and plot. Find online guides to writing manga. Read sample raw scrips. Continue to write short stories and poems. Read writing books and how to draw manga books (these really do come in handy)!

2. Join deviantART and look for critique for my writing.

3. Write a synopsis some stories, practice writing some scrips, creating characters, settings, and plots.

4. Get published at least 5 times and talk to professional authors, including manga writers.

5. Find an artist to enter the RSoM competition with, continue other work to try to become well known.

6. Get longer work published.

7. Work on manga as a side job while holding a main job in virtual reality programming.

Call me the evil planner if you like, but it helps. I have my life planned out through age 40, and I am 13 now.

steve88 02-12-2008 06:56 AM

Anybody knows how much is the salary of an average manga artist in Japan?

MMM 02-12-2008 07:25 AM

There are no "average" manga artists. There are ones that sell and ones that don't. Popular writers like Umezu do very well. But it's like any creative industry...the top 5% make most of the money and everyone else clammors for what is left over...

steve88 02-12-2008 01:25 PM

As most of the potential manga artists will likely belong to the 95% bracket. I just want to know what is the likely annual earning in US dollar for these artists, say with 2 years experience.

xYinniex 02-12-2008 05:06 PM

if you get die hard manga fans, once they see your 'english' name on the anime book, they'll ignore it straight away. no offence.

Being a manga artist in the western countries has MASSIVE MASSIVE risks, and potential losses

shoana 02-13-2008 02:32 AM

id love to be a manga artist im studing grapics (still cant spell it lol) atm

Sinner 02-14-2008 06:16 PM

I think you've right.