LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-06-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathcoreFranky View Post
Do u think that theres anyway i could slightly alter it to make a different word or for that matter a word
Wow...I think you should think about a tattoo eraser and a small claims suit.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-06-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Do u think that theres anyway i could slightly alter it to make a different word or for that matter a word
I strongly agree with MMM.

I don't see how you can modify is cos I can't think of any and to be honest with you, there aren't any that is close to it.

It's only $25 to file for a small claim so that is your best luck.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-06-2008, 04:26 AM

I agree. But file the suit before you have it erased. And get some good quotes for the removal from the best dermatologist you can find so you know what sort of damages to sue for. The artist should have declined to do it.

Makes me very glad that I research my "Silver Bear" in several languages before giving the kanji to the tattoo artist.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
NickVelvet (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to NickVelvet
05-06-2008, 05:42 AM

This is the perfect example of why you should always make sure you know what you are getting inked on your body. Always do your research and then do some more. The artist may have just pulled it out of a book he had, or flash off the wall regardless if its right or not.

I recall a couple years ago of a tattoo artist in the Boston who was tired of people not doing thier research. On a number of occasions he tattooed something other than what the customer requested. One woman wanted "princess", however he tattood something like "slut". She was unaware until one day she was in a food court and some girls were giggling behind her since they knew what it really meant.

You can try taking them to small claims, but I dont know how far you will get. The artist should have allowed you to preview it once it was placed from a stencil or his drawing to ok it. Also you more than likely signed a release releasing the shop and its employees from all liability.

It will cost you more to have it removed than the cost of the original tattoo. You could have a coverup done. Good luck.

"Play a song on one deck, now play one on the other deck. Push the buttons and play with the slidey things, and turn the knobs. Do this for 3 hours...now your a DJ"

"Photography is 10% knowledge and 90%
witchcraft" - A. Taussig

Women are like the bus...another will be along in 10 mintues.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
DeathcoreFranky (Offline)
New to JF

05-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVelvet View Post
This is the perfect example of why you should always make sure you know what you are getting inked on your body. Always do your research and then do some more. The artist may have just pulled it out of a book he had, or flash off the wall regardless if its right or not.

I recall a couple years ago of a tattoo artist in the Boston who was tired of people not doing thier research. On a number of occasions he tattooed something other than what the customer requested. One woman wanted "princess", however he tattood something like "slut". She was unaware until one day she was in a food court and some girls were giggling behind her since they knew what it really meant.

You can try taking them to small claims, but I dont know how far you will get. The artist should have allowed you to preview it once it was placed from a stencil or his drawing to ok it. Also you more than likely signed a release releasing the shop and its employees from all liability.

It will cost you more to have it removed than the cost of the original tattoo. You could have a coverup done. Good luck.
ya it would cost atleast 6 times what i paid for removal im just gonna get it covered up its not really a big deal since im getting most of my neck tattooed already i could easily get it covered up and get the correct one behind the other ear this time ill do my research and bring the kanji 2 my artist i should probly also inform him that the kanji in his book is fake to prevent it from happening to someone else i wouldnt file a claim in the first place i dont think he even knew that it was fake considering hes only been at the shop for a couple months he probly assumed it was real it was my stupidity i should have known, anyways thnx for the help

Last edited by DeathcoreFranky : 05-06-2008 at 07:50 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-06-2008, 07:48 PM

rethinking this a bit....

If this was a fairly new artist, yes I would cut him some slack and definitely let him know about the mistake. He might even be able to cover it with something acceptable himself.

Most of the artists I know around here are old timers and know better, but at least one or two are not above being flippant about the customer's intent. Those I would fight, even if I knew it was a lost cause.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-06-2008, 08:15 PM

At the very least you should let them know thier book is wrong. They should do something to make it up to you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
NickVelvet (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to NickVelvet
05-07-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
ya it would cost atleast 6 times what i paid for removal im just gonna get it covered up its not really a big deal since im getting most of my neck tattooed already i could easily get it covered up and get the correct one behind the other ear this time ill do my research and bring the kanji 2 my artist i should probly also inform him that the kanji in his book is fake to prevent it from happening to someone else i wouldnt file a claim in the first place i dont think he even knew that it was fake considering hes only been at the shop for a couple months he probly assumed it was real it was my stupidity i should have known, anyways thnx for the help
Chalk it up to lesson learned. Its hard to find good artists. Ive been fortuate that alot of my friends are tattoo artist. In fact im hoping in the next year or so I will be learning to do them myself. Ive had about 6 different artists tattoo me. The most interesting being one that I got while in Tahiti by a guy who barely spoke English. He drew what I wanted freehand, but I had to keep checking to make sure he was doing what I wanted.

Like MMM said if your not happy he may make it up to you. Most artists are very particular, and their work is thier calling card. Granted in your case if its out of a book or flash off the wall its a bit different. Most will want to make you happy as they want the repeat business, and most of all "word of mouth" is worth its weight in gold.

"Play a song on one deck, now play one on the other deck. Push the buttons and play with the slidey things, and turn the knobs. Do this for 3 hours...now your a DJ"

"Photography is 10% knowledge and 90%
witchcraft" - A. Taussig

Women are like the bus...another will be along in 10 mintues.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
05-07-2008, 09:22 AM

honestly i think there should be a lil thought or meaning behind tattoos..

why get Demon?

r u evil? or a demon?

either way, kanjis bit off.

Also my ex gf got Demon on her back.. i dunno why, but the meaning of the kanji has Changed to Charmed... not demon.

In japan, some kanjis can change.

i've seen cases where peoples Kanji is reversed or upside down even.

just dont go walking around Tokyo with random stuff written on ya.

if your gona get kanji done get it done in japan =P.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
05-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
rethinking this a bit....

If this was a fairly new artist, yes I would cut him some slack and definitely let him know about the mistake. He might even be able to cover it with something acceptable himself.

Most of the artists I know around here are old timers and know better, but at least one or two are not above being flippant about the customer's intent. Those I would fight, even if I knew it was a lost cause.
no..
you don cut "new" tattoo artists any slack. even on first day of work.

If they went thru the right channels and worked as a apprentice, he should know to make a rookie mistake.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan