JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   Frustrating Things About Drawing Manga (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/16419-frustrating-things-about-drawing-manga.html)

greenteajunkie 06-16-2008 05:47 AM

Frustrating Things About Drawing Manga

There seems to be so many things that get on my nerves and i loathe to draw! Please complain and give reccomendations everyone!

Backgrounds: I either don't know where to put the characters, or have to draw backgrounds after drawing the characters and they somehow get in the way! Also, drawing characters sitting down on chairs at tables and such is really annoying and difficult.
Eyes: Sometimes i'll draw one eye and i'll go to do the next one and it will be either a. totally different looking, or, b. totally different size.
Hair: OK, this is just plain out HARD!

sakari09 06-21-2008 05:50 PM

:coldbear: I will agree on the backgrounds. (*totally) Hair I have gotten used to tho. I have problems with the eyes sometimes too don't worry!

kamikazee 06-21-2008 07:05 PM

drawing the hands for me is really hard.:pinkcry:
it took a while but got better at the eyes.:pompoms
:crykitty:still don't know how to draw really good hair.
i don't even know how to draw a backround.crykitty:

:rheart::phgirl::rheart:

Kiyuge 06-21-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimanofff (Post 519229)
Hi everyone! I'm new on Your forum.
I'm 28 yo guy from Fiji. Hoping i'm welcome here:)

So go to introduce yourself :3 There you can make yourself known there. This is the wrong thread for introductions.

Hands, clothes and hair frustrate me.... But Im getting better.

eleKtrickpenguin 06-23-2008 02:33 AM

i have a really hard time getting hands and bare feet to look right, and doing the angles properly.

zachart 06-23-2008 02:34 AM

i have a hard time with hands, feet, hair, but have never tried backgrounds...

sakari09 06-23-2008 03:40 PM

my hands on characters are horrible! I try to hide them under sleeves but I do a lot of shojo manga charis and it's guy holding a chick's hand! I just can't win! Ahh!

Diryavi 06-24-2008 08:34 AM

Hey I have a hard time drawing...

I have a hard time drawing hands, feet , Full length bodies,etc. And once I finish with a drawing I'm Happy with I can't make multiple copies!:mad: Arrrg! I need some art classes! For me to draw really good I need to be listening to Dance music, upbeat fast songs, heavy droning beats and Heavy rock songs,. With out it my drawings looks bad and I get mad a I tear the page out I do that when the drawing is not going my way!:mad: Arrrg again!:ywave: :vsign: :D bye have a nice summer you guys! Take care!

Diryavi 06-24-2008 08:44 AM

Hey Fiji Your welcommed by me! LoL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimanofff (Post 519229)
Hi everyone! I'm new on Your forum.
I'm 28 yo guy from Fiji. Hoping i'm welcome here:)

Maybe we can chat My email is yashayuki@yahoo.com! I'm 27 year old girl from U.S.A In New Hampshire. So how is Fiji? Right now where I live, it's raining and thundering birds are chirping and It's 4:40 Am and I need to go to bed hope to hear from you sometime.:) Take care and have a wonderful night/day!:ywave: :vsign: :D

KikiBunny23 06-24-2008 08:47 AM

I don't draw but my friend does and this is what she complains about to me
•Hands---she can never get them right
•Eyes---One will be really good and the other horrible
•Hair---It always looks weird
•Certain clothes---just because

VampireGirl1314 06-24-2008 09:13 AM

[quote=greenteajunkie;515401]There seems to be so many things that get on my nerves and i loathe to draw! Please complain and give reccomendations everyone!

Backgrounds: backgrounds are kinda hard to draw but i can manage
working with.
Eyes: I can draw eyes very well.
Hair: I can draw most hair just not curly hair.>^_^<

Hip 06-25-2008 08:47 AM

XD well,

In my opinion in most styles of art, the background is simply to take up space and add texture. nothing more. So detail in teh background or worrying about if its on the scale of the character doesn't matter too much.

As far as drawing one character and the other looking different...You should ALWAYS sketch out the entire still-scene. Every character and object..That way you can go back in later and do hard lines.

Also, use the pencil length method. Draw one head and size it with your pencil, using your thumb to hold the size..then copy the size for the next character. A lot of artists will use the tip of their pencil for their lengthening, but i like to take a knife and knick my pencil somewhere for my starting marker and use my thumb for the second. Using the tip of your pencil will make it slightly innaccurate due to lead wearing down as you go to draw. Unles you draw very lightly.

And for objects it's all depth so i hope you use that dot we were all taught to use back in middle school for depth.

It takes a lot of time x.x But what doesn't. You'll get it.

Hip 06-25-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikiBunny23 (Post 521105)
I don't draw but my friend does and this is what she complains about to me
•Hands---she can never get them right
•Eyes---One will be really good and the other horrible
•Hair---It always looks weird
•Certain clothes---just because

Is she using models or guessing? Guessing is a horrible way to draw ANYTHING when you aren't confident with your style...We all know what a leather jacket looks like in our minds...But can you really go through and mark off every detail and calculate how far away the collar is from the chest pocket? Nope.

She should feel really lose and relaxed when she draws...She might be holding the pencil extremely hard causing her drawing style to be really hard and stressed. It's true, not making it up.

Tell her to always use models of what she wants to draw. Hands, google a pic..same with hair and clothes. It'll make a big difference until she is 100% ready to break free of picture models.

KikiBunny23 06-25-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip (Post 522038)
Is she using models or guessing? Guessing is a horrible way to draw ANYTHING when you aren't confident with your style...We all know what a leather jacket looks like in our minds...But can you really go through and mark off every detail and calculate how far away the collar is from the chest pocket? Nope.

She should feel really lose and relaxed when she draws...She might be holding the pencil extremely hard causing her drawing style to be really hard and stressed. It's true, not making it up.

Tell her to always use models of what she wants to draw. Hands, google a pic..same with hair and clothes. It'll make a big difference until she is 100% ready to break free of picture models.

she si usually drawing something off the internet but every now and then she'll get something in her mind she wants to draw and she takes about an hour or so just to finish it. Her last drawing was of how she wanted to her cosplay outfit to look like and it was really good. She great with free style but she doesn't think so. I'll try and get one of her drawings....ill see if she is still up. maybe she'll send me one

Hip 06-25-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikiBunny23 (Post 522055)
she si usually drawing something off the internet but every now and then she'll get something in her mind she wants to draw and she takes about an hour or so just to finish it. Her last drawing was of how she wanted to her cosplay outfit to look like and it was really good. She great with free style but she doesn't think so. I'll try and get one of her drawings....ill see if she is still up. maybe she'll send me one

^_^ oooh goody. I would love to see one. I love looking at peoples art..By art I mean drawings, sketches and cool stuff like that...pictures of apples and paint splatter bore me x.x

BUT GET A PIC!!

KikiBunny23 06-25-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip (Post 522056)
^_^ oooh goody. I would love to see one. I love looking at peoples art..By art I mean drawings, sketches and cool stuff like that...pictures of apples and paint splatter bore me x.x

BUT GET A PIC!!

I am sending her a text right now ^-^

Hip 06-25-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikiBunny23 (Post 522058)
I am sending her a text right now ^-^

lol I signed up for that Gaia thing..

Cute whatever...it ...is... and I got lost x.x I think i killed a butterfly and kicked a bush and it gave me money..

KikiBunny23 06-25-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip (Post 522074)
lol I signed up for that Gaia thing..

Cute whatever...it ...is... and I got lost x.x I think i killed a butterfly and kicked a bush and it gave me money..

she's asleep

and you just caught the butterfly, and you get money from trees and bushes....and snowmen come christmas and jack-o-lanterns for halloween. what is your user and ill send you a message

Hip 06-25-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikiBunny23 (Post 522076)
she's asleep

and you just caught the butterfly, and you get money from trees and bushes....and snowmen come christmas and jack-o-lanterns for halloween. what is your user and ill send you a message

>.> well it's an furi curi tribute...My username is Medical Meccanica

KikiBunny23 06-25-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip (Post 522105)
>.> well it's an furi curi tribute...My username is Medical Meccanica

she should be sending a picture and okies, I'll send ya a message

sakari09 06-26-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip (Post 522034)
XD well,

In my opinion in most styles of art, the background is simply to take up space and add texture. nothing more. So detail in teh background or worrying about if its on the scale of the character doesn't matter too much.

As far as drawing one character and the other looking different...You should ALWAYS sketch out the entire still-scene. Every character and object..That way you can go back in later and do hard lines.

Also, use the pencil length method. Draw one head and size it with your pencil, using your thumb to hold the size..then copy the size for the next character. A lot of artists will use the tip of their pencil for their lengthening, but i like to take a knife and knick my pencil somewhere for my starting marker and use my thumb for the second. Using the tip of your pencil will make it slightly innaccurate due to lead wearing down as you go to draw. Unles you draw very lightly.

And for objects it's all depth so i hope you use that dot we were all taught to use back in middle school for depth.

It takes a lot of time x.x But what doesn't. You'll get it.

I do occasionally use the pencil method..but instead of a pencil I have an old paint brush that I nick with a knife.

Ven 06-27-2008 05:24 PM

i have the most trouble on arms, hands, legs, and feet. for the hair i just draw large spikes and put them together

MomoXMomo 06-27-2008 05:27 PM

I think most people have a hard time drawing hands and feet. I know I do. But it's also hard for me to draw a character from the side.

allie2590 06-27-2008 06:00 PM

I have a tough time with hair, hands and proportions. I can never seem to get it right.

sakari09 06-30-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomoXMomo (Post 523796)
I think most people have a hard time drawing hands and feet. I know I do. But it's also hard for me to draw a character from the side.

I've had some trouble with that in the past...With different views and all. For the most part I have it pretty much down..:phgirl:

sakari09 06-30-2008 05:08 PM

I get that too don't worry...

ThuMpeR 07-02-2008 12:08 AM

I have problems with background. It's hard to pack details on A4 paper lol.

Amnell 07-02-2008 12:28 AM

I've only just started drawing at all, and so far have been most frustrated by shadows and eyes. I haven't even tried to do hands and feet yet o_o; . I tried hair for the first time a couple nights ago... that didn't come out so well...

After my dismal failure on hair, I looked around on deviantArt for tips and found this: Drawing Anime Hair: Bangs by ~Crysa on deviantART . It's more specific to bangs, but I imagine that's the most important part of hair, what with its being in full view all the time.

Also try deviantART Search: anime hair tutorial , which is the search results page where the first link comes from.

agikito 07-04-2008 11:45 PM

well i draw manga all the time so i could give u a few tips like for eyes you could line up the places where the eyes r going to go.-for the hair you could try to fit the hair style with the characters personality

VampireGirl1314 07-05-2008 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hate how you always end up messing up the whole thing and have to start over.>^_^<

Fire_Girl625 07-06-2008 05:14 PM

I have one problem, but this pertains to all styles of drawing-Forshortening. I have so much trouble with it, which sucks when I want to do an action pose.

Kyousuke 07-06-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenteajunkie (Post 515401)
There seems to be so many things that get on my nerves and i loathe to draw! Please complain and give reccomendations everyone!

Backgrounds: I either don't know where to put the characters, or have to draw backgrounds after drawing the characters and they somehow get in the way! Also, drawing characters sitting down on chairs at tables and such is really annoying and difficult.
Eyes: Sometimes i'll draw one eye and i'll go to do the next one and it will be either a. totally different looking, or, b. totally different size.
Hair: OK, this is just plain out HARD!

ok

1. when your drawing in each panel think of it like a movie. lets say your character is sitting down in a chair and the other one is standing. when you draw it think ok hes sitting here and the chair is here and he's talking in this scene. if you dont have any room inside the panel for word bubbles, then draw it over the panel.

2. i used to do the same thing with the eyes. it takes practice to get it down the way you want it. but when you draw a face use the cross technique + to align the eyes do 2 lines instead of one to align the top and bottom part of the eyes. but be sure not to put the eyes to close together or far apart. leave a small gap between the ears and the eyes and a large space from the center.

hair is a pretty simple thing to do once you understand its science. the hair wont stick straight up but slope downwards (gravity).short hair will stick up thought because the weight of it is lighter. when drawing hair be sure the head isnt to long and oval and measure the forehead so that when you draw the hair it doesnt look like the characters forehead is too high or low. when drawing the hair use the area where the hair grows from as a marker. this part is harder to explain without a visual. but look at manga to see how the hair is drawn.

Hip 07-06-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agikito (Post 528316)
well i draw manga all the time so i could give u a few tips like for eyes you could line up the places where the eyes r going to go.-for the hair you could try to fit the hair style with the characters personality

advice like this means nothing to people who have no clue what the hell you mean.

That's like handing someone a pencil and saying "make stuff with it"

yes..of course...i'll make "stuff"..but what size..color...how curvey...how soft how gentle how smooth...and where do i start.
-.-

Kyousuke 07-07-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip (Post 529608)
advice like this means nothing to people who have no clue what the hell you mean.

That's like handing someone a pencil and saying "make stuff with it"

yes..of course...i'll make "stuff"..but what size..color...how curvey...how soft how gentle how smooth...and where do i start.
-.-

im making a little how to draw for anyone who wants to take a look, ill put it up later this week when i have time.

sakari09 07-08-2008 04:34 PM

That would be great...most of the how to draw manga books around here are really baby-fied...it's rather annoying..

Kyousuke 07-10-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakari09 (Post 530944)
That would be great...most of the how to draw manga books around here are really baby-fied...it's rather annoying..

know what you mean. they do help but for me they just spend too much time explaining something that can be done pretty simple. anyways i finished it just have to scan it and put it up when i have time

kokunin 07-11-2008 09:34 PM

i hate how when you try and take some relaity of the object at hand you have to make it bigger to draw the effct of that objects existence. Like an nose, to actually draw the thing that might perk your interest alittle more the nose becoes bigger by the end of the face, then you have to resize it, cutting out information...or when you try and draw a freakin bird it never stays still...or how when i draw something that has a TON of landscape in it, i can't get everything...I can't match reality...uuuh mukatsuku...

greenteajunkie 07-13-2008 01:18 AM

I'm actually getting musch better with the hair and eyes, yay! but backgrounds still intimidate me... i mean, really, wtfudge am i supposed to put in the background, i'm much too lazy to draw buildings, trees, etc. Also coloring finished art... grrrrrrrr:mad: I'm stuck with rose art colored pencils (me=cheap :( ) and have trouble making it look clean and crisp with them. I need copic or phtoshop... but, again, soooo pricey.

SamuraiAlchemistNinja 07-14-2008 06:48 PM

I'm good with hair, and usually with eyes.
Hands, I have so much trouble with, only because I want them to pe perfect! [I have a real-life obsession with hands]
Bodies, I'm good at...backgrounds I'm okay with, but I usually just keep them simple, or just don't draw them at all. Sideviews of faces are difficult for me...I don't know why. I guess I've just gotta practice them :vsign:

sakari09 07-16-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenteajunkie (Post 534997)
I'm actually getting musch better with the hair and eyes, yay! but backgrounds still intimidate me... i mean, really, wtfudge am i supposed to put in the background, i'm much too lazy to draw buildings, trees, etc. Also coloring finished art... grrrrrrrr:mad: I'm stuck with rose art colored pencils (me=cheap :( ) and have trouble making it look clean and crisp with them. I need copic or phtoshop... but, again, soooo pricey.

I've got the same prob w/ the whole money thingy...I did find a manga software...but it was over $100! I was like, "This sucks..."