JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KitsuneFr (Offline)
Mori kara kimashita...

Location: Versailles, France (not Hellmouth, Sunnydale, lol!)
Send a message via MSN to KitsuneFr Send a message via Yahoo to KitsuneFr
Japanese incenses - 07-25-2008, 07:09 PM

Hi!
I'm kinda fond of japanese incenses sticks. I often use Shoyeido brand from Kyôto, that I could find in bio stores, and they have many choices in sticks aroms (if I could mean that ). They are usually big great stuff, with a very nice quality of smellings, and they do 30 mn to 1 hour lasting sticks. I use them from more than 4 years now I guess...

Do someone here know this brand (or other japanese kaori sticks?)? And if so (or another brand), what are your favourites smellings? (I really enjoy the "autumn leaves" one )

Qu'est ce qui pourrait être plus beau que les fleurs de cerisier?
さくらのはなが だいすきですよ!
(Sakura no hana ga daisuki desu yo!)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Clutch
07-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Nippon Kodo makes some great incense, and its fairly easy to get your hands on their stuff here in the states. I love their Morning Star and Herb & Earth brands.

I've seen Morning Star sold in big boxes of 100 or so sticks, or just smaller boxes of roughly... 50, I think? My favorite scent in that line is Sandalwood. The big boxes run around $7, and the smaller around $3.

Herb & Earth is a very strong line of fragrance set on bamboo sticks, so the incense doesn't smell too... earthy? I suppose that's the term. One package of 20 runs around $3.

I want to give their powdered incense a try, but I'm waiting out until my B-day when I can afford to buy the supplies needed to burn powder incense. Here's Nippon Kodo's site.

I also burn Indian incense when I can't afford to shell out the $$$ for Japanese. Satya's "Super Hit" and "Nagchampa" are my favorites.

I burn incense for practical and religious reasons. Practical reason, because the folks have three dogs and they smoke cigarettes, and I don't like anything in my space to smell like cigarettes or dogs.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KitsuneFr (Offline)
Mori kara kimashita...

Location: Versailles, France (not Hellmouth, Sunnydale, lol!)
Send a message via MSN to KitsuneFr Send a message via Yahoo to KitsuneFr
07-25-2008, 08:53 PM

I really enjoy incenses based on sandalwood too!
We also found by the Kyôto brand some cherry tree smells, or another one very spicy called as "golden pavillon" (you know, the famous Kinkaku!), some others that could be used in winter, ...

I never tried the powder incenses stuff too, for the same reason as not having the stuff.
I use to burn this when I'm in a calm mood and wanted nothing but just sit on the tatamis drinking sencha or fresh beer, while thinking about nothing else. I sometimes use them while reading too, it's too nice stuff!

We pay here at about the same prices than you (but converted in Euros, naturally, so it is not so much expensive for the quality). We also have the 30 to 50 sticks cylindric paper cases.

Qu'est ce qui pourrait être plus beau que les fleurs de cerisier?
さくらのはなが だいすきですよ!
(Sakura no hana ga daisuki desu yo!)