JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TheHazardous1 (Offline)
New to JF

Forms of martial arts - 02-16-2009, 03:51 PM

I wasn't sure which thread a martial arts related subject should be placed in, but I decided put it in this thread versus the sports section since it has the word "art" in it. lol

Anyways, I've been learning kenpo karate for about five years and have recently become interested in other forms. I'm already learning boxing and iaido in the same dojo, but I'd like to learn other unique forms in addition. Preferable well-known ones so I can look up specific moves and katas with ease. I'm especially interested in learning a form that will aid my sparring. I've already considered Taekwondo with it's strong fast kicks. But are there any other unique forms someone knows of?

I've also been interested in learning a new weapon besides katakana, nunchaku, kama, jo, and bo. I think something along the lines of the Guan Dao and Naginata would be preferable, but anything exceptionally unique would be fine.

As you can see I'm looking for uniqueness. :P So, could anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

02-16-2009, 08:54 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you consider unique.
I know there are many Chinese martial arts forms. Quite a few of them involve the use of elaborate weapons. However, some of them may be very difficult to find and be accepted into.

Are you familiar with Muay Thai and Escrima/Kali?
I think they fit your description. They are practical, dynamic, well-known, and less complicated to locate and learn.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TheHazardous1 (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you consider unique.
I know there are many Chinese martial arts forms. Quite a few of them involve the use of elaborate weapons. However, some of them may be very difficult to find and be accepted into.

Are you familiar with Muay Thai and Escrima/Kali?
I think they fit your description. They are practical, dynamic, well-known, and less complicated to locate and learn.
What I mean by "unique" is something that's much different from kenpo and something that will give me an unexpected edge in sparring. (Just to help anyone else with ideas.)

Yes, I've actually been learning a little Muay Thai for my boxing. It's pretty cool. I've actually seen Escrima on Fight Quest (TV show) before. It looked really awsome but extremely difficult to learn- especially without an partner.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kir0 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-22-2009, 03:24 AM

I love Taekwondo and Muay Thai, I've been doing Taekwondo for four and a half years and Muay Thai almost just as long. I should hopefully have my 2nd Dan before the end of this year, TKD.

Taekwondo has helped me with my Muay Thai because of the extreme emphasis on kicks. I love sparring in both styles but I prefer Muay Thai sparring because I just incorporate my TKD into the Muay Thai, but I can also use my hands and knees.

I used to take grappling/ju jitsu but quit because it was costing me more money, but I always enjoyed that aswell. My instructor with sometimes add some ground fighting into black belt class though so I do get some ground time in.

I've tried one class on Ninjitsu while I was in Japan, and I really wasn't too impressed. I actually went to Japan with a group of ninjas from a Bujinkan Ninjitsu school here, they go to Japan every year to train with Hatsume Soke and a couple other high rated ninja masters. I can't remember the name of the man I saw however.

Visited Japan in 2007.

I am female.