JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jellyKing123 (Offline)
New to JF

Graffiti in Japan - 02-05-2009, 05:50 AM

There are many species of calligraphy and painting in Japan, including almost every variety and cultural type; but it struck me that I had never seen Japanese graffiti, and how it was appreciated by, or embodied in, their culture - if at all. I emphasize that I am not endorsing vandalism or crime, but having never visited I’m curious.

If you have visited Japan, did you see much graffiti? If you have a photo, post it. Was it tasteful, legal, or was it more a case of petty vandalism?

Is modern Japanese graffiti anything more than a blatant imitation of American culture, if so, how is it different? If it’s not part of the counterculture, what if anything is its substitute?

It has been said that ‘beauty is everywhere a welcome guest’. I question, if graffiti is a welcome guest in Japan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 06:16 AM

I happen to be a fan myself, and I was really keen to see some Japanese graffiti! In Tokyo it's fairly common to see small pieces and little names tagged- and I have a picture of some little butterfly's tagged on a wall, which were pretty cool. Also I saw a few murals, though I'm sure they had permission to paint it... not necessarily 'graffiti' in the criminal sense.

What I saw was generally tasteful and refreshing considering I had something to relate to. Ill try and upload pics!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 06:19 AM

And to answer the question 'if graff belongs in Japan'... Yes. Graffiti is clearly an art form- and considering the Japanese are experts at calligraphy, it's only second-nature! Just my opinion
(#4 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

02-05-2009, 10:56 AM

I saw almost no graffiti in japan.. I can only remember in America city this painting on a wall but it was more like art than graffiti:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 445.jpg (77.6 KB, 72 views)

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ivyart (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese graffiti, Bubble letters or Latin King Angular anyone? - 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Japan has a long tradition of "piss"-marking places they have visited too. Traditionally it is done with a name or clan tag printed and then affixed to temple eaves and places like that with an extending pole. Nowadays they are condemned to the same 4 font families that taggers are over using in the west. As to the art question it is always a funny debate, although it can not be held with the same graffitist and questioner, at least not in succession. From my experience in discussions with many at Max Fish in L.E.S. try calling graffiti not Art and let the fireworks begin. Come back the next day and try to evaluate it on the criteria that art gets questioned and hammered, and then they say you criticize it as art because it is different. So which is it?
If it is art then it must be held to the same standards, ne? If it is a replication of four basic fonts then what is it really doing? Let's hear some defense, and be clear in your terms.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chiyomusic4 (Offline)
New to JF

03-25-2009, 10:18 PM

thats kind of cool, i really like this one
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-26-2009, 12:34 AM

Graffiti is common in Japan, and you'll find it in many places if you look hard enough. Near my local train station there is plenty of graffiti to be found on and under the bridge. If any of you visit Tokyo and go to Roppongi, just follow the main street (Roppongi-Dori) toward Akasaka; there is a place were Roppongi-Dori passes beneath another road. The walls of the tunnel near the entrance and exit are covered with graffiti. For those of you who go to Harajuku, there is a small amphitheater across the street from Yoyogi park which can be reached by a small bridge, the underside of this bridge is well known for it's artistic graffiti.

Graffiti is not well-tolerated in Japan. The areas where you find it tend to be older, dirtier, and have more crime. Late last year a murder was committed in my town, and many reporters from around the country came to the crime scene. One of the things they commented about was the graffiti in the area, and they stated that the abundance of graffiti was linked to the laziness of the police.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
nenn (Offline)
New to JF

03-28-2009, 06:42 PM

i saw tons of graffiti when i was in Tokyo, artists from around the world that i admire have ups there. The artist i noticed most was ( a local i think ) "after you" and many many ups by "Miss 17" and "Neckface". I caught a few tags myself