JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yoneko (Offline)
New to JF

Kimonos,Ikebanas,Tea ceremony .... - 03-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Anybody interested in talking about these arts?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
annelie82 (Offline)
Zzzz...zzz.....zz...

03-06-2007, 06:11 PM

I just posted a thread in the Food forum about the origins of Japanese tea-drinking, so yeah, I'm interested. ^^ Don't know much about them though, except that the Japanese word for tea ("o-cha") may derive from the Portuguese word for tea ("cha").

EDIT: Nyororin just informed me that tea-drinking was brought into Japan from China and then *exported to Portugal*. Apparently tea has been consumed in Asia since the 9th Century.

Thanks, Nyororin!

~annelie

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -from the film Coach Carter

Last edited by annelie82 : 03-06-2007 at 06:28 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
maitrekong (Offline)
New to JF

03-06-2007, 07:21 PM

yeah these items are very interesting i would be have more informations to

maitre kong
http://kingkongdesiles.skyblog.com
correct me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
yoneko (Offline)
New to JF

The Divine Japanese Tea - 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM

About Japanese Green Tea

Complementary and Alternative Medicine Index (CAM)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
virago (Offline)
New to JF

04-29-2007, 12:15 PM

I'm fascinated by kimono's, I actually went to a kimono fashion show that was put up in Norway sometime last year. They looked simply amazing.

Really starting to like green tea more and more as well, although the usual stuff you can get here in Norway is really old and not very well kept (they keep the leaves in a big barrel, not vacuum packed, for a LONG time). Hoping to buy some at o-cha.com soon, I just don't know which yet
(#6 (permalink))
Old
glaylover (Offline)
Nan de?

04-29-2007, 01:12 PM

When I was living in Kyoto I took traditional dance lessons and got to perform onstage it was an amazing experience.
My JApanese 'grandmother' was a kimono collector and professional dresser. I had many opportunities to wear an learn about kimono.
I even got to dress in the traditional wedding outfit once wig and all.....so heavy!
I love the traditional arts, it's just such a pitty that most young japanese people today don't study them as often, or that's what I found in our town. I was the only person in my dance class under the age of about 55!!! But they made me feel so welcome and they her helpful...plus they used to bring me sweets every lesson to have with tea so I loved them even more!

Glaylover

zutto futari de..........
(#7 (permalink))
Old
virago (Offline)
New to JF

04-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Yeah, it's a shame.. The show I went to was by a group from Japan who are trying to encourage people to learn more about Japanese tradition, they travel all over the world. It was really nice, they had people ranging in age from 5 to 80-something.. Wouldn't mind seeing more of those kinda things..

They did some traditional dances and showed some traditional ways of celebrating various holidays etc, it was great
(#8 (permalink))
Old
glaylover (Offline)
Nan de?

04-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Yeah what I found also which was really fun was the Obon festival. Getting dressed up in Yukata(sweltering in the kansai heat and humidity of summer) and dancing through the streets with the rest of the town. So much fun!

Glaylover

zutto futari de..........
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

05-11-2007, 03:35 AM

What certain events go on in "Tea ceremonies"? What are they for?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tolbarizhei (Offline)
is lost without you!

Send a message via ICQ to Tolbarizhei Send a message via AIM to Tolbarizhei Send a message via MSN to Tolbarizhei Send a message via Yahoo to Tolbarizhei
Talking 05-11-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
What certain events go on in "Tea ceremonies"? What are they for?
definetely interested, and if anyone has time to do a little research on the history of kimonos id definetely be interested in knowing more

there is one true love in my life.. and sadly it will be fate that will have to hold us together
the light will continue to shine for all..
Fratello, may the angels bless you on the way throughout eternity