JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shad219 (Offline)
New to JF

please help me to identify these drawings - 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM

I have these drawing that i really want to know who did them and where/what time period they are from. Please if anyone can help me out with them, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese art #1.jpg (95.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg japanese art #2.jpg (94.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg japanese art #3.jpg (98.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg japanese art #1 001.jpg (69.0 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by shad219 : 12-23-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
(#2 (permalink))
Old
shad219 (Offline)
New to JF

01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

no one can help me out with these? What about a name to somebody who might be able to? Anything will be greatly appreciated.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
CityofTrees (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Any larger scans of the signatures possible? I could probably tell you if I could see them better. (Also, the last one is upside down, as a note).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Might also help if you explained where/how you got hold of them or if you know where they originated from.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
angrygodzilla (Offline)
New to JF

My educated guess - 01-07-2010, 02:52 AM

These what my best guesses are. The top picture looks like a Kabuki costume of demon or tengu. I am not really sure what the middle one is. The bottom picture looks an actor wearing a Noh theater costume and mask. If you can get close ups of the writing I can get my Japanese friends to decipher them. I hope this helps.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Dzunku (Offline)
New to JF

Possibly by Yamaguchi Ryoushuu - 01-08-2010, 02:47 AM

He could be Yamaguchi Ryoushuu (山口蓼洲), who was a Kyougen-shi (Kyougen actor) and a Japanese painter born in Kyouto and deceased in 1966 at age of 80. His true name was Yoshizawa Keizou (古沢慶三) (family name first).

http://www.shibunkaku.co.jp/biograph...p?number=35121

Kyōgen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The subjects are actors in Kyougen costumes, I guess. The play they are acting could be Benkei.

Saitō Musashibō Benkei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could be wrong. I just read the signature on the painting, just wriiten as "Ryoushuu made" and researched.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
shad219 (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2010, 04:39 PM

thanks for the help so far. I will try and get some larger scans asap. I got these from an auction so i know nothing as far as the origin of them. My next question is are they worth anything?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

01-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad219 View Post
thanks for the help so far. I will try and get some larger scans asap. I got these from an auction so i know nothing as far as the origin of them. My next question is are they worth anything?
Larger scans no longer needed. Dzunku above gave you the artist's name correctly.

You posted the last pic upside down, though, making this old Japanese man somewhat sad.

As for what these are worth, you must be a very wealthy man if they are genuine. If they are not originals, you can buy 50 of them for 98,000 yen (about 20 green bucks a piece) at one website:

WEB (See #25 in middle of page)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
shad219 (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2010, 04:17 PM

well, like i said, i came across these in a storage auction. I do know that the owner of the items in this bin was an actor in the early 50's and loved Japanese art and opera b/c she had a lot of both. There were also some old photos of her in japan as well which leads me to believe that she had got these while she was there. They had came in an old box with some other Japanese art as well. I have some pencil drawings too that are very nice, but again I dont know who the artist is and for some reason i cant upload them in this forum. I tried to put more scans on here and it keeps saying upload failed. How can i tell if they are original? btw, i appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited by shad219 : 01-13-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
(#10 (permalink))
Old
shad219 (Offline)
New to JF

01-18-2010, 06:34 PM

They are not prints. They are hand painted, i know that doesn't mean they are originals, im just saying in case that will help anyone identify if they are originals or not. Probably just copies, but i dont know. Just curious more than anything i guess. I wouldn't know how much they are worth if they are originals, does anyone know??