(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-19-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzuka View Post
So how do Japanese people moarn then?

After all i decided to go for a angel wing on my shoulder with above the wing the date of her birth and under the wing the date she passed away.

Im getting the tattoo april 3th, ill post a picture of it if someone is interested

Thanks for your help guys
Japanese mourn their relatives by having regular memorial services, and also by keeping a small shrine with a photo of their loved one/ones. My girlfriend's grandmother keeps such a shrine for her late husband, and puts a bowl of rice and a cup of tea in front of it every day.

Keeping a person's memory alive in your heart is much better than wearing a memory on your skin. If you want to keep your sister's memory alive, keep a picture of her on your desk and another one in your wallet, don't deface your body.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-19-2010, 02:04 PM

There is also the Obon and Ohigan festival. These are the only times it is belived that the dead can eat.
At these times, many Japanese place food and drink infont of their home shrines in the hope that their starving lost ones can enjoy, once again, the foods from their life.

Having a shrine in a Japanese house is a good way for the Japanese family to always be reminded of the ones who came before, that helped them to be alive now. Many of these shrines are handed down over many generations and can contain many ancestors.

A tattoo will only ever exist on your skin and be lost on your death. If you are getting it for yourself then fine. If it is for your sister, then I would think she would have told you not to get it. You would only be changing the way she saw you, before she became a buddha.

Last edited by dirtyroboto : 03-19-2010 at 02:08 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Beautifully expressed, dirtyroboto.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
craftscn (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to craftscn
Tantoo is one way to show your will - 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Tantoo is one way to show your will, but you need think twice before tantoo.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzuka View Post
Hello fellow Japan lovers

First off, my English isnt perfect, this is because im from the Netherlands so please excuse me for that

Ok so ill explain my situation:

4 months ago my sister passed away due uncureable cancer, we were very close especially the last few months.
Now that i've come over it a bit i decided to show my gratitude in a tattoo form.
Im a big fan of japanese tattoo's so i decided im going for a japanese/asian one.
Now im not a expert on this kind of art so im not quite sure how i want the tattoo, i was thinking of a angel wing with the date of her birth and the day she passed away with the word: 損失 wich means "Loss" as far i know.

Is this a good idea or do you people have a japanese tattoo form wich shows the loss of someone?
Some advise is welcome

Thanks in advance!
I am very sorry to hear about your sister.

As many people said, tattoo bearing a negative meaning (objectively, your personal motives aside) is maybe not the best idea. Perhaps you could express your feeling of loss in a positive way, if that is possible. For instance a tattoo meaning unity of your spirits such as 一心 (いっしん one heart / in here unity of both of you in one heart). It would show that you are still connected with your sister even though she passed away.

Or 以心伝心 いしんでんしん (telepathy, understanding without words, surreal ethereal connection of souls and minds)

It all depends on how many characters you need.
If you really want one, I could help you design the calligraphy for your tattoo.

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-22-2010 at 12:41 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftscn View Post
Tantoo is one way to show your will, but you need think twice before tantoo.
Or simply feel what you want.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
There is also the Obon and Ohigan festival. A tattoo will only ever exist on your skin and be lost on your death. If you are getting it for yourself then fine. If it is for your sister, then I would think she would have told you not to get it. You would only be changing the way she saw you, before she became a buddha.
Beautifully said.