JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Yuzuka (Offline)
New to JF

Post Japanese Tattoo Advise - 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM

Hello fellow Japan lovers

First off, my English isnt perfect, this is because im from the Netherlands so please excuse me for that

Ok so ill explain my situation:

4 months ago my sister passed away due uncureable cancer, we were very close especially the last few months.
Now that i've come over it a bit i decided to show my gratitude in a tattoo form.
Im a big fan of japanese tattoo's so i decided im going for a japanese/asian one.
Now im not a expert on this kind of art so im not quite sure how i want the tattoo, i was thinking of a angel wing with the date of her birth and the day she passed away with the word: 損失 wich means "Loss" as far i know.

Is this a good idea or do you people have a japanese tattoo form wich shows the loss of someone?
Some advise is welcome

Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Not a good idea.

損失

can mean "loss", but it also means "hemorrhage", "deficit", "cost" and is often used in a financial context. Not a good idea for a tattoo.

If you know real Japanese tattoos, you will know words rarely appear in them.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-03-2010, 07:56 PM

I think appropriate word is name+命.For example,洋子命.I don't know John Lennon did so.
Not necessary means the loss of someone.It means love or loyalty for some one.
But I don't think foreigner's names are fit.
Using simply 愛(means love) is not strange in meaning.
But,as MMM said, words rarely appear in japanese tatoo.In addition,japanese people usually think of japanese tatoo as symbol of yakuza now.

English speakers sometimes laugh at Japangrish or Engrish.If you use 損失,Japanese speakers feel the same.
I think a angel wing with the date of her birth and the day she passed away with NO japanese word is good.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2010, 12:24 AM

MMM is right. The kanji you gave do not express the meaning of "loss of a loved one" at all, and a Japanese person would be quite surprised to see that word as a tattoo, especially with an angel wing above it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Expressing your loss in this way is not the Japanese thing to do.
You would be better off investing in a Butsuma or the plain shinto version.

A Japanese would never get a tattoo to remember their dead family, Wherever the Tattoo was would be considered unclean and you would essentially be carrying around the spirit of a dead soul on your arm. Never a good thing.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
discoiskinky (Offline)
JF Regular

03-12-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
A Japanese would never get a tattoo to remember their dead family, .
I have a Japanese friend who did just this so i think that 'never' is certainly untrue.

Perhaps you meant traditionally?

A tattoo can draw inspiration from a range of different cultures etc to gain a personal meaning.

If I was you (original poster) I would purchase some japanese tattoo magazines/books and contact some local tattoo artists - a lot of non japanese specialize in japanese art. Do you have any tattoo conventions/expo's in your area? I just visited one in sydney and there would have been about 10 japanese tatoo artists there as well as 140 from other places.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Traditionally, culturally, dirtyrobo is right. Japanese don't even name their children after deceased relatives, as it is considered a sort of death wish, from what I understand.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ermelinda (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2010, 04:39 PM

A Japanese would never get a tattoo to remember their dead family, Wherever the Tattoo was would be considered unclean and you would essentially be carrying around the spirit of a dead soul on your arm.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Yuzuka (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2010, 12:46 AM

So how do Japanese people moarn then?

After all i decided to go for a angel wing on my shoulder with above the wing the date of her birth and under the wing the date she passed away.

Im getting the tattoo april 3th, ill post a picture of it if someone is interested

Thanks for your help guys
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-19-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzuka View Post
So how do Japanese people moarn then?
I understand tattoos are a part of remembering those who have passed away in some cultures. Japan isn't one of them.

Memorial services occur at certain anniversaries of a loved one's death. I think this is an interesting way to remember and honor those who have passed.