JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   Graffiti in Japan ? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/32937-graffiti-japan.html)

xRusskij 07-21-2010 08:52 PM

Graffiti in Japan ?

Hey Folks. :vsign:

First of all, that is my first post in this forum.

The reason why i join this forum is easy. I love Japan. Everything 'bout it.
Honestly i've never been there. But a trip to Japan is my dream.

Well, lets talk 'bout my first thread. ^^

I wanna know: Is there graffiti(-artists) in Japan ? I drew graffitis when I was younger. And becouse of that, i wanna know, if Japan is a clean city ?
And if there are graffiti's (maybe in Tokyo), how do they look like ?
Of course I looked in google if there are any, but i didn't found anything.

PS: I wanna sorry 'bout my english. ^^

EDIT: I found some pictures. :D But more Informations would be nice. :)

willgoestocollege 07-21-2010 09:18 PM

I don't know any famous Japanese graffiti artists in Japan but I would think that there are a few within the cities.

xRusskij 07-21-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willgoestocollege (Post 820891)
I don't know any famous Japanese graffiti artists in Japan but I would think that there are a few within the cities.

Yeah, that would be logical. ^^

MMM 07-21-2010 10:07 PM

Graffiti exists in Japan, but I have never seen anything to the scale I see in major cities in the US. I have never heard of a "graffiti artist" in Japan. I don't think it is seen as an art form like some see it in the West.

edelweiss 07-21-2010 11:03 PM

I usually photograph incidental street art when I travel. In the parts of Japan I have been in I haven't seen very much but I am probably not hanging out in the right places to see most of it. What I have seen seems to be pre-approved murals done in a graffiti style rather than done like an illegal street art project and lots of small scale stuff, lots of sticker tagging.

There are two books I can think of one called Graffiti Japan and another called Rackgaki: Japanese Graffiti that comes with a dvd. Both are pretty recent and have interviews with known artists. I have only seen Rackgaki myself. Worth looking into if you are interested.

xRusskij 07-22-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edelweiss (Post 820916)
There are two books I can think of one called Graffiti Japan and another called Rackgaki: Japanese Graffiti that comes with a dvd. Both are pretty recent and have interviews with known artists. I have only seen Rackgaki myself. Worth looking into if you are interested.

Yeah, that sounds nice. I'll take a look, if I'll be in a library maybe.

Thank you. Btw, realy friendly forum here. :)

GoNative 07-23-2010 12:09 AM

Thankfully vandalism in any form is rare in Japan including defacing other peoples property with unwanted graffiti. As a form of artwork it certainly does exist and I've seen some good stuff up here in Hokkaido on some cafes and restaurants where they have actually commissioned the artwork.

RickOShay 07-23-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRusskij (Post 820890)
Hey Folks. :vsign:

First of all, that is my first post in this forum.

The reason why i join this forum is easy. I love Japan. Everything 'bout it.
Honestly i've never been there. But a trip to Japan is my dream.

Well, lets talk 'bout my first thread. ^^

I wanna know: Is there graffiti(-artists) in Japan ? I drew graffitis when I was younger. And becouse of that, i wanna know, if Japan is a clean city ?
And if there are graffiti's (maybe in Tokyo), how do they look like ?
Of course I looked in google if there are any, but i didn't found anything.

PS: I wanna sorry 'bout my english. ^^

EDIT: I found some pictures. :D But more Informations would be nice. :)

The short answer is no.. graffiti is not abundant in Japan... well unless you go into the public restrooms of some big parks in big cities.... I have seen some choice body parts very well drawn in black marker in and around the stalls, and the drunk bum you might see passed out in front of the place lies there so still he could almost be considered a statue.. artsy huh?

xRusskij 07-23-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickOShay (Post 821092)
I have seen some choice body parts very well drawn in black marker in and around the stalls, and the drunk bum you might see passed out in front of the place lies there so still he could almost be considered a statue.. artsy huh?

Irony, right ? ^^

xRusskij 07-23-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 821085)
Thankfully vandalism in any form is rare in Japan including defacing other peoples property with unwanted graffiti. As a form of artwork it certainly does exist and I've seen some good stuff up here in Hokkaido on some cafes and restaurants where they have actually commissioned the artwork.

Yeah thats my opinion, too.
I like the clean and hygienic style of Japan. But graffiti is also a art and can be realy beautifull. :)