JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks. I have seen some vids, where sumi-e artists dip their brush few times back and forth in water and ink. I need start doing it. You are right I should go and have a look at nearest bamboo once again ;-p.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Eat Japan! - 12-18-2010, 02:32 PM

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been painting much. I have, however, been working on this monster since October! In RL it's an A1 water-colour piece (each 'season' is the size of an A3 page) so scanning it was difficult, hence why the resolution is a little low. It's kind of a ready-reckoner for things you can eat in Japan, sorted by season. For those who don't read Kanji, from the top-left it goes: Spring, Autumn (fall), Summer and Winter. There's a couple of mistakes too, see if you can spot them!
Hosted elsewhere as the file is too large for JF- click to view!

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ec-d3540q2.jpg
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Good God, those details must have taken you ages! Your work makes me really hungry! Very unique ink painting, first time i see one like this. It is also great for learning Japanese.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

12-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Good God, those details must have taken you ages! Your work makes me really hungry! Very unique ink painting, first time i see one like this. It is also great for learning Japanese.
That's what it was originally for I did a big poster in black & white in uni so I could learn food vocab, and I really liked the look of it, so I decided to do this colour version.

I didn't tally up the hours on this. I know the initial sketch took me about 5-6 hours, but that was fast as I was able to just copy a lot off the B&V version. Inking the outline took about the same or a bit longer, and painting...I've been working on that since the start of November on and off. So I guess it's probably around about the 90-100 hours mark, including the searching for colour photo references, and checking the writing. It was fun though; I enjoyed combining my sumi-e skills with ordinary water-colour and cartooning. I've done an A3 copy of it for my sister for Xmas, and now my mum wants one too!

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Hello columbine that is a wonderful work of art. Your time has been more than well spent.

Beautiful
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

12-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hello columbine that is a wonderful work of art. Your time has been more than well spent.

Beautiful
Thank you Dogsbody, I'm glad you like it!