JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shodo (Offline)
New to JF

Calligraphy: It's not as easy as it looks - 05-28-2009, 11:22 PM

Japanese calligraphy as well as Chinese calligraphy is not just about putting down strokes on paper...

Some things that separate "good" from "bad":

- balance + composition
- line quality
・ strokes should in areas be bold, thin, dark, and light
・ In general NO "BLAND" STROKES ← this is crucial...

Here is a gallery of some of my pieces for those interested in seeing some pretty "good" calligraphy, or at least I think it's pretty good: 書Calligraphyofjapan道

Last edited by shodo : 07-03-2009 at 07:12 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-30-2009, 06:45 AM

Calligraphy (also writing in western fountain pens) is very hard because the center of gravity to make a mark is on your hand and fingers. This is very opposite from writing beautifully in ballpoint pen and pencils.

I have learn calligraphy when I was a kid and forgot most of how I write them. The younger you are exposed to practicing calligraphy, the better you've become if you keep practicing.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Scoob94P (Offline)
JF Regular

05-30-2009, 09:29 AM

They are beautiful, I remember when I was younger I practiced calligraphy (with English letters like this: http://image.linotype.com/samples/text/257097.gif

but sometimes even like this: http://www.militarysabers.com/images...lish-large.jpg )

But it really hurt my wrist and took a lot of work to get even reasonably good at it. I could imagine with kanji it would be even harder, some of them look incredibly intricate!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
shodo (Offline)
New to JF

05-30-2009, 05:30 PM

I do not have any experience when it comes to that sort of calligraphy but I would imagine it is extremely difficult to master. The practice needed for such art would be tremendous, I think. Any experience with Japanese calligraphy?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

05-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodo View Post
Any experience with Japanese calligraphy?
There is no huge difference between Japanese and Chinese calligraphy if you think about it. Anybody who is used to practice Chinese or Japanese styles can practice calligraphy in Korean alphabets without too much hassle.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

05-30-2009, 08:14 PM

I think that as long as you practice and put your all in your calligraphy it'll come out beautiful.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
shodo (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
There is no huge difference between Japanese and Chinese calligraphy if you think about it.
Very true. There is definitely a very strong connection between the two.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
shodo (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
I think that as long as you practice and put your all in your calligraphy it'll come out beautiful.
Yes, Practice is crucial when it comes to calligraphy. And after loads of practice, I sometimes feel that the thing most important is to follow your instincts rather than think too much before every stroke.

Last edited by shodo : 05-31-2009 at 03:43 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

05-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodo View Post
Very true. There is definitely a very strong connection between the two.
Three, actually: calligraphy in China, Korea, and Japan have a strong affinity among themselves.

It's like this traditional arts: you need to know Korean traditional art to understand Japanese traditional arts; vice versa. There is a huge common ground between them. But then, you REALLY need to understand Chinese traditional art to understand Korean and Japanese traditional art; vice versa.

If you want to get the gist of traditional art, don't focus on a tiny limited region; think bigger to understand things bigger.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
shodo (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
If you want to get the gist of traditional art, don't focus on a tiny limited region; think bigger to understand things bigger.
In a way, art has almost always been a series of worldwide influences/connections. Ukiyo-e (Japanese prints) if I remember correctly, had a great influence on Van Gogh and his art.