LinkBack Thread Tools
(#281 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-18-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Yeah I saw the trailer, but somehow I can't get myself to watch it. Could you tell me about it in three sentences, how does it approach the art of 書? I am a bit worried that those girls are too young to understand and appreciate this art, aslo, Japan is so commercialized that this movie may be a complete waste of time. However, I might be wrong... So, tell me, why did you enjoy it?
A group of school girls in a calligraphy class use their art to bring attention to their paper-making town which is in dire need of business. They decide to create a calligraphy/music contest and invite other schools to attend. The social dynamics of the group of girls is the main drive of the film.

I don't see too many Japanese films, so I really can't give a good review on it. After spending 11 days in Japan with no subtitled television, the JAL flight home at least had subtitles. I watched this movie, along with A Boy And His Samurai and Rail Man (I think that was the title). This film is mainly about the drama between the girls of the calligraphy club, with the backdrop being the town's debacle and the aforementioned contest.

I enjoyed it because I could understand it and it wasn't the typical American film. On a long flight home, it was surprisingly engrossing.

I know, I know....it's certainly not a ringing endorsement....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 06-18-2011 at 03:47 AM.
(#282 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-18-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
A group of school girls in a calligraphy class use their art to bring attention to their paper-making town which is in dire need of business. They decide to create a calligraphy/music contest and invite other schools to attend. The social dynamics of the group of girls is the main drive of the film.

I don't see too many Japanese films, so I really can't give a good review on it. After spending 11 days in Japan with no subtitled television, the JAL flight home at least had subtitles. I watched this movie, along with A Boy And His Samurai and Rail Man (I think that was the title). This film is mainly about the drama between the girls of the calligraphy club, with the backdrop being the town's debacle and the aforementioned contest.

I enjoyed it because I could understand it and it wasn't the typical American film. On a long flight home, it was surprisingly engrossing.

I know, I know....it's certainly not a ringing endorsement....
Well, I may actually watch it. The good thing about that movie (from what you are saying) is that calligraphy is utilised for helping other people (in this case the town community), which in fact is what calligraphy is all about - to soothe and heal, or stimulate and inspire. I guess the modern approach is necessary, due to the times we live in ... sadly. Also, the movie is promoting the art of calligraphy (in its own way), which is very important, as this ancient art is slowly dying. The number of those who study it, especially the younger generation, is really low.

Last edited by ryuurui : 06-18-2011 at 04:27 AM.
(#283 (permalink))
Old
p47koji (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Hi Koji-san. What you said (especially the part marked in bold) made my day. , as those who are able to feel it, are worth writing for. I am not Japanese, though my calligraphy teacher is laughing that I am more Japanese than some Japanese.

If you click the link below, I am the 4th person from the top.

calligraphy organization
Ryuurui-san... You are. Your calligraphy is stellar without qualification and I congratulate you.
(#284 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-03-2011, 07:20 AM

一鳥啼山更幽 (secluded place deep in the mountains so peaceful and tranquil, that even a single bird's cry does not break the absolute silence).

I scanned it and converted into a negative. It's a small scale calligraphy, characters do not exceed 4cm in height, written with a small brush that is normally used for cpying sutras (写経).

the same phrase, in a slightly different mood

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-03-2011 at 07:41 AM.
(#285 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2011, 03:52 AM

I thought I would write something seasonal. Enjoy the summer while it lasts!

夏陽 summer sun

(#286 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-25-2011, 11:53 PM

薫 かおり sweet smell, fragrance, aroma

(#287 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-27-2011, 04:00 AM

Your calligraphy is very beautiful, I wish I could write like this..not being able to has put me at a bit of a shameful disadvantage since Japanese value hand-written letters more than Westerners.
Hell even my English writing is chicken scratch haha

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)
(#288 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Thanks Lonthego. Trust me, my writing in roman alphabet is terrible. Perhaps because letters are dull and lifeless. Chinese characters and Japanese kana have a soul, so it is easy for me to express emotions through writing.
(#289 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-09-2011, 01:28 AM

清如光月 pure as shiny moon

silver ink on blue paper

(#290 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-31-2011, 12:32 AM