LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I feel I could manufacture a story-- not so muc from the REAL meaning of them-- but what they remind me of-- if thats okay with you.
wishing you all the best., Babs.
You have actually pointed out an interesting thing there. This is exactly what calligraphy is about and exactly what Westerners do not get. They seek the explicit meaning of kanji in the text when in fact it is not so. This is also why standard and semi cursive styles are the most popular, when here in Japan we consider them (usually) not that exciting.

For example calligraphy of 水 (water) should not look like water but resemble its flexibility, power, persistent nature, life giving, vigor, etc. This is why a lot of people do not understand abstractness of calligraphy. But you have got it perfectly!

Calligraphy is like poetry, personal and intimate, soothing or stimulating and very imaginative. What one does with it in his mind it is completely up to the viewer. So enjoy!
(#92 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
You have actually pointed out an interesting thing there. This is exactly what calligraphy is about and exactly what Westerners do not get. They seek the explicit meaning of kanji in the text when in fact it is not so. This is also why standard and semi cursive styles are the most popular, when here in Japan we consider them (usually) not that exciting.

For example calligraphy of 水 (water) should not look like water but resemble its flexibility, power, persistent nature, life giving, vigor, etc. This is why a lot of people do not understand abstractness of calligraphy. But you have got it perfectly!

Calligraphy is like poetry, personal and intimate, soothing or stimulating and very imaginative. What one does with it in his mind it is completely up to the viewer. So enjoy!
Oh really ryuurui-- I was worried that I was offensive and disrespectful.

Your last line puts me at ease and I definitely Will work on it when I have the proper amount of time.

YOu are a treasure. I admire you intensely--
(#93 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-09-2010, 12:51 PM

Well, I just like to write

永生 immortality (style: oracle bone script)

秋 (style: cursive script)
(#94 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-11-2010, 08:58 PM

works do not have seals, as I am having new carved.

幽 calm, deep, secluded

Last edited by ryuurui : 12-11-2010 at 11:09 PM.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
12-11-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
愛 love
Expresses very well what love is.

Begins from a small, but strong mark that continuously grows, becoming something very visible, hard to avoid by looking another way. When reaching points of turnover, you wish at times to turn around, like wishing to try again, but you already reached faint lines where you feel like you almost loose it. Nevertheless you continue to believe in it and at last it ends exactly as it began, with a strong "footprint".

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#96 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Nicely worded Protheus, I am really happy my humble works can be so stimulating. Thanks!

日新 every day brings something new

玄妙 mysterious

(#97 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-14-2010, 10:28 AM

長楽  great fun / joy

清風 breath of fresh air, clear breeze

真 truth (as I have said, temporarily my works bear no seals till I have new ones made)
(#98 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-16-2010, 10:14 AM

心身一如  body and mind as one

想像 imagination

養心  nurturing pure feelings

意  an idea, feelings, thoughts
(#99 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-16-2010, 01:01 PM

I recently sent a couple of your examples to my friend-- she likes them very much although not always agreeing with your interpretation.

tomorrow-- weather permitting-- she is returning to JAPAN for a few weeks.

Mostly to care for her sick brother but I am praying she also has time to relax amongst her friends and family.

She needs a good rest really.
(#100 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-16-2010, 01:28 PM

Calligraphy is an art. One person likes abstract painting and another likes heavy metal. I would not call it the latter an art, but then again some people call an avant-garde calligraphy an " ink stained paper".

The good thing is that sho has many styles, thus everyone can find something he or she likes. Even I do not like every single piece of calligraphy I see. My teacher has hanged recently a very intriguing piece of work in his studio. For me it is still artistically undecipherable. Simply, I am not yet "calligraphically" mature to appreciate it. He told me: "I will show it to you in 10 years times. You will be ready then."

Coming to Japan to rest is like going to Germany during 1940 to spread Jewish religion. It is not happening.