JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Film "hero" - 09-04-2010, 04:27 PM

I watched part of the film "HERO" last night. Did not see all but most impressed by it-- and the part calligraphy seemed to play in it.

Maybe I am way out of time and knowledge but as it involved martial art and calligraphy has anyone here seen the film or have views about it?

So much reminded me of the opening of the Olympic Games in Beijing.

That was fantastic--- I hope to be able to purchase a dvd of HERO. So clever.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

09-22-2010, 12:01 AM

My favourite scene is the battle in minds to the sound of "Flowing Water" played on guqin during the rain, and of course all the calligraphy bits. The whole movie is amazing and very symbolic. Definitely one of my favourite movies. Try also watching Hiden Dragon Crouching Tiger. I think you might like it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2010, 06:20 AM

The director Yimou Zhang has done a lot of films with a gorgeous visual style but the cinematographer for Hero, Chris Doyle, was really doing his signature look and feel for that film. Yimou Zhang also directed House of the Flying Daggers which has a similar feel that still uses a lush visual style but is missing the Chris Doyle finesse.

I really like some of the director's older films like Raise the Red Lantern and Shanghai Triad. I saw his recent film which was a Chinese period remake of the Coen Brother's Blood Simple last week which was fun.

Doyle as Cinematographer has shot a lot of other gorgeous movies but the only one with a similar theme/time period is the Wong Kar Wai directed Ashes of Time. I love Ashes of time - it has some of the same actors as Hero too like Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung! Doyle also worked on Infernal Affairs which is another great film with Tony Leung - he is one of my favorite actors working in the world. I think my favorite film of Doyle's was one of his Wong Kar Wai collaborations called In the Mood For Love. Though his Australian directed film called Rabbit Proof Fence is good too. He also shot Neil Jordan's most recent film Ondine.

Yep, I am a big fan of Hero.

Last edited by edelweiss : 09-22-2010 at 06:25 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-22-2010, 10:28 AM

thanks for the information. Very interesting. I have seen "Rabbit Proof Fence" re the way aboriginal children were stolen from their families and forced to stay in white Homes-- marry white men. That was British Colonialism-- very disgusting too.

Many white children were also sent to Australia from UK-- and other places in order to bring British white stock to Australia. Many had very bad experiences there. Now Britain has apologised-- such as that means anything.

I helped some of them to find their original families here in UK after many years of never knowing their roots.

I shall look out for those other films. directors also. I have the Cd of the music for Hero. Love it.

I must say I would love to see how these films such as HERO are made. There must be alot of technical skills-- Computer--maybe. ALL amazing. I have seen Hidden dragon-- some time ago. I might have another look.

It was the calligraphy that grabbed me and the way the army was so dramatically portrayed.

When I think about Beeijing games and the calligraphy painted on the floor by the movements of the artists. That was fantastic. I think it will take alot of beating for our country to come anywhere CLOSE to that opening to the Games. Get all those people moving totaly in unison-- must have taken many years of practising. Superb and mind blowing.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ayumiyuu (Offline)
Satan's Bitch

09-22-2010, 05:25 PM

ahh wow..HERO is one of my fave movies...this topic made me want to watch it again ...XDD thank you ^^

"..but the trouble is, the world is peopled with poor idiots." /Marquis de Sade/