JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Well, the Koi fish is a very common symbol to use. If you really wanna be creative and original, you can mix up some symbolic images.. Like make a samurai koi fish with tiger stripes - rough idea, but you get what I mean..

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
Well, the Koi fish is a very common symbol to use. If you really wanna be creative and original, you can mix up some symbolic images.. Like make a samurai koi fish with tiger stripes - rough idea, but you get what I mean..
ya and it will be a killer fish lol
(#13 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydreamer View Post
Are mainly just Japanese tattoos regarded as taboo or frowned upon in Japan? Or are generally all tattoos looked at in the same way?
What westerners think of and admire as the traditional Japanese style tattoo is what's frowned upon in Japan because of the associated social meanings related to gang membership. If you decided to get Russian mafia prison tattoos because they appealed to you it would cause you some social trouble in Moscow too, tattoos have very specific social meanings depending on motif all over the world.

What seems to be more accepted in Japan are "fashion" tattoos which would be tattoos done in a western style or with imagery not related to what is found in the tattoos of Japanese gang members. So a girl with a tattoo of a unicorn on her ankle would provoke less apprehension than a guy with a back covered in samurai.

Still, you are not living in Japan so you don't have to live under those social constraints.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
citydreamer (Offline)
New to JF

10-06-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
What westerners think of and admire as the traditional Japanese style tattoo is what's frowned upon in Japan because of the associated social meanings related to gang membership. If you decided to get Russian mafia prison tattoos because they appealed to you it would cause you some social trouble in Moscow too, tattoos have very specific social meanings depending on motif all over the world.

What seems to be more accepted in Japan are "fashion" tattoos which would be tattoos done in a western style or with imagery not related to what is found in the tattoos of Japanese gang members. So a girl with a tattoo of a unicorn on her ankle would provoke less apprehension than a guy with a back covered in samurai.

Still, you are not living in Japan so you don't have to live under those social constraints.
Thanks for the great explanation, edelweiss.

P.S. Beautiful weather today in SF, eh? (I moved here last summer)
(#15 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydreamer View Post
Thanks for the great explanation, edelweiss.

P.S. Beautiful weather today in SF, eh? (I moved here last summer)
Yes! The best weather is always found at this time of the year unless we get one of our random sunny weeks in February or March! But this year has been strangely cold.

If you are looking for an artist to do Japanese style tattoos here in San Francisco I have a GREAT recommendation for you - Yutaro Sakai at Skull & Sword. He is very popular and can be hard to get an appointment with but he is extremely talented. He's nearly done doing sleeves for a friend of mine right now, Koi fish in water with autumn leaves on her right and sparrows flying in wind with cherry blossoms on her left arm.

He doesn't post a lot of his work on line but here's a link to some of his stuff.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-07-2010, 07:14 PM

http://www.theskullandsword.com/yuta...ia2_large.html

some people require immediate medical attention

his tattoos are impressive (technically, as artistically they do not appeal to me at all), although the Chinese characters are weak, he is not a calligrapher. So if you want kanji to go with your tattoo, find a calligrapher, and then let the guy tattoo them.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2010, 07:26 PM

In traditional Japanese tattoos you usually don't see any written characters, only images.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In traditional Japanese tattoos you usually don't see any written characters, only images.
i was referring to the one, that has them
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-10-2010, 12:56 PM

MMM, you may want to kick this bot's arse out of here, it is becoming irritating.