JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
citydreamer (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese tattoos - 10-02-2010, 04:34 AM

Hi,

Firstly, forgive me if I'm not posting in the right place. I'm just looking for good insight, which I have had trouble finding.

I have been thinking about getting a Japanese-style tattoo for many years now. I love the Japanese-style art; it's classic, timeless, and, most importantly--beautiful. I've always loved the culture, and Japan is probably where I will be living after a few more years here in the US.

I have been having trouble deciding on what imagery to use. I want the tattoo to symbolize being a professional in life -- in the sense that I'll always remain open to all of life's possibilities, that I will never let it go to waste. When I say imagery, I mean for example: dragon, tiger, samurai, etc.

I have several native Japanese friends that have not been able to offer too much insight in regards to symbolic Japanese art imagery. I am wondering if anyone on these forums can grant some insight?

Thank you for any help, and again, if I am not posting in the right place, I apologize -- I'd be glad to remove this thread.

Thanks,

T
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Are you looking for one character or an idiomatic phrase?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
citydreamer (Offline)
New to JF

10-04-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Are you looking for one character or an idiomatic phrase?
Hi Ryuurui,

Thanks for responding.

Not looking for characters or phrases -- I'm thinking of visual art.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find too much information on symbolism in traditional Japanese art -- surprisingly. I've even bought a well-reviewed book which presented a wealth of amazing visuals but unfortunately doesn't reveal meaning behind them.

Would love to gain more insight!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

10-04-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydreamer View Post
I have been having trouble deciding on what imagery to use. I want the tattoo to symbolize being a professional in life -- in the sense that I'll always remain open to all of life's possibilities, that I will never let it go to waste. When I say imagery, I mean for example: dragon, tiger, samurai, etc.
Something in me tells me that would be the carp.

Quote:
I've always loved the culture, and Japan is probably where I will be living after a few more years here in the US.
I hope that you are aware that Japan is exactly the place where you will be prohibited to enter certain places because of your beautiful Japanese tattoo.
Those places include hot springs, swimming pools, saunas, etc.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-04-2010, 04:07 AM

Well, if you are actually planning to live in Japan, getting a tattoo, especially the Japanese style one, isn't a good idea. It is still considered a taboo, and traditional Japanese tattoo has been for Yakuzas. Yeah, people will understand you are from another culture and it is different from a Yakuza guy getting tattooed to intimidate people and to show loyalty to their "family", but still, I don't know how it'll come across. You will be technically banned from public baths and Onsen too (Though I went to an Onsen with my American friend with a tattoo once without any problem).

Last edited by cranks : 10-04-2010 at 04:10 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
citydreamer (Offline)
New to JF

10-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
I hope that you are aware that Japan is exactly the place where you will be prohibited to enter certain places because of your beautiful Japanese tattoo.
Those places include hot springs, swimming pools, saunas, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Well, if you are actually planning to live in Japan, getting a tattoo, especially the Japanese style one, isn't a good idea. It is still considered a taboo, and traditional Japanese tattoo has been for Yakuzas. Yeah, people will understand you are from another culture and it is different from a Yakuza guy getting tattooed to intimidate people and to show loyalty to their "family", but still, I don't know how it'll come across. You will be technically banned from public baths and Onsen too (Though I went to an Onsen with my American friend with a tattoo once without any problem).
Hi guys,

Thanks for the heads up! -- I forgot about the taboo aspect of the tattoo in Japan. Some mistake me for Japanese too -- Maybe this is a bad idea? I recently saw a documentary on Japanese tattoo artists and hobbyists (living in Japan), and they spoke about trying to eliminate the taboo aspect of tattooing and promoting more embrace and acceptance.

Anyway, while this does prompt me to contemplate more about the tattoo, I'm certainly still interested in researching symbolism surrounding Japanese art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Something in me tells me that would be the carp.
Thanks for your response Sashimister!

Carp definitely matches the description (and would make a beautiful piece), but I wonder if there's more imagery out there that I can explore. I'm so hard-pressed to find more beyond the tiger, dragon, koi, samurai, etc -- if not for a tattoo, then for my own enlightenment when it comes to symbolism in Japanese art. Maybe I'll ask a professor I had once who was passionate about different types of art in the world.

Last edited by citydreamer : 10-04-2010 at 08:25 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-04-2010, 08:56 AM

True that, I cant get into many pools with my tattoo, even though its 入墨 and not 刺青. Then again, recently, there is a lot of young people (even on TV!) with fashion 入墨. Perhaps there will be a distinction soon between those two.

Onsen - it also depends, some will let you in some will not. With irezumi is a fat chance, but tattoo (even though mine is in kanji) its usually OK, especially when I explain that it is my 書道雅号. Sometimes I have to write it on a paper, cause older people do not comprehend gaijin+shodou+gagou. It fries their CPU.

I could not show my tattoo in Gold's Gym...or any gym, but i told them to get lost and get over it, or change their ridiculous manual.

As to the imagery, there is no way I am tattooing a carp on my body, despite its meaning. It's just gay, especially in color. If you are white, color tattoo will look bad, as artificial gold on a hairy and fat drug dealer.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kei0000 (Offline)
New to JF

10-04-2010, 01:17 PM

If you live in the U.S. now,you should wait to have tattoos until you come to Japan and learn more about Japanese culture.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei0000 View Post
If you live in the U.S. now,you should wait to have tattoos until you come to Japan and learn more about Japanese culture.
well if he does not intend to live in Japan I reckon he can just read about it. This forum has plenty of information on it. If not, it can be found in the internet / books, etc.

Coming to Japan only to make sure you are getting a right tattoo is like going to space to get away from your family for few days. Bit of an overkill and god damn expensive.

I have a friend in Tokyo, an American guy, he has a full body tattoo of a dragon and other motives. Looks amazing, though he spent on it 10.000$ (traditional irezumi). I am not sure about carps though, I mean we eat them on Christmas Eve in Europe. Though they really have a very symbolic meaning here in Japan (as Sashimister has indirectly pointed out).

Last edited by ryuurui : 10-04-2010 at 02:19 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
citydreamer (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei0000 View Post
Thanks for your suggestion, kei.

I actually have a trip to Osaka coming up early next year, so I'll have a chance to further deliberate the tattoo while actually being immersed in the culture. I'm looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
well if he does not intend to live in Japan I reckon he can just read about it. This forum has plenty of information on it. If not, it can be found in the internet / books, etc.

Coming to Japan only to make sure you are getting a right tattoo is like going to space to get away from your family for few days. Bit of an overkill and god damn expensive.

I have a friend in Tokyo, an American guy, he has a full body tattoo of a dragon and other motives. Looks amazing, though he spent on it 10.000$ (traditional irezumi). I am not sure about carps though, I mean we eat them on Christmas Eve in Europe. Though they really have a very symbolic meaning here in Japan (as Sashimister has indirectly pointed out).
Ryuurui,

Thanks for the wealth of valuable insight you've offered. I really appreciate it.

Are mainly just Japanese tattoos regarded as taboo or frowned upon in Japan? Or are generally all tattoos looked at in the same way?