JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
hyuga666 (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese symbol against fear - 11-10-2010, 09:22 PM

Hi there, I am looking for a visual symbol against fear in japanese art and culture. It may either be against a specific anxiety, like the fear of death, or a general symbol against fear, like a jinx. thank you for your help!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuga666 View Post
Hi there, I am looking for a visual symbol against fear in japanese art and culture. It may either be against a specific anxiety, like the fear of death, or a general symbol against fear, like a jinx. thank you for your help!
I don't understand the question. Can you give an example in Western culture?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
hyuga666 (Offline)
New to JF

11-10-2010, 11:18 PM

well, for example an animal or a diety that stands for protection from fear, or just for overcoming fear. unfortunately I don't exactly know a good example from western culture either...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuga666 View Post
well, for example an animal or a diety that stands for protection from fear, or just for overcoming fear. unfortunately I don't exactly know a good example from western culture either...
Try putting it the other way around for your search- you can't protect yourself from fear; if something is scary, it's scary. But you might find symbols/charms/gods that promote courage.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-11-2010, 01:43 PM

In China, calligraphy of a characters like: tiger, or dragon and phoenix is considered to guard one's home. They often are hanged together with longevity symbols. They are not however protecting from fears, rather than promote good energy and positive thinking.

In Japan overtime work is a remedy for any fear as it drains people to extend they have no power left to worry. The effect spreads on social phobia and Meeting Foreigners Panic Syndrome.

Jokes aside, I do not think there is any character or symbol protecting from fear in general. Columbine has a good point here. See the Chinese example. Those characters promote courage and long life in harmony. You protect yourself not from fears but you encourage yourself to feel none. There is no cross waving to banish the demons in Asian culture.