JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Favourite Japanese Camera Brand?
Canon 13 48.15%
Nikon 9 33.33%
Sony/Minolta 1 3.70%
Pentax 1 3.70%
Konica 0 0%
Yashica 0 0%
Mamiya 0 0%
Fujifilm 1 3.70%
Olympus 1 3.70%
Panasonic 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Please suggest a thread that would be more appropriate other than General Discussion.
There is none. General discussion is the right place. You generally inquire on Japanese camera brands. It is not a question of how to use one in order to make artistic pictures, etc. If it was so, that would be closer to art (although still not Japanese one).

On a side note. It's a tough choice between SONY with Minolta glass, and NIKKON, which I reckon has the best engine. I still would go with NIKKON.

Last edited by ryuurui : 11-17-2010 at 04:49 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
There is none. General discussion is the right place. You generally inquire on Japanese camera brands. It is not a question of how to use one in order to make artistic pictures, etc. If it was so, that would be closer to art (although still not Japanese one).
What would you say if she/he was asking about Japanese paintbrushes and ink?

Anyway I voted for fujifilm because I have one and although it wasn't as expensive as the cannons and nikons, it's colors are beautiful and realistic (in daylight it's better than anything) and I generally satisfied with it.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by File0 View Post
What would you say if she/he was asking about Japanese paintbrushes and ink?
best brushes are Chinese so I would probably not ask that question
(#14 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post
(I'm pretty sure photography belongs in the art section!)

Okay, I'm sure that many of you love taking pictures, and also many of the camera brands are Japanese (I guess the Japanese love their cameras ;D!).

So I'm just wondering what's your favourite Japanese camera brand and why? (you can even tell us about your specific camera.)

It can be any camera, whether it is film or digital.

I'm going to start this off, I love my Pentax cameras (both film and digital).
Pentax made some really nice products, but I recently switch to Canon, only because they have one of the best cheap full frame camera. I currently shoot with a 5D MKII, and the quality is amazing, especially at high ISO. I think i have a love/hate thing going on with Canon though. You can't get a decent lens for a good price with Canon, its either you pay an arm/leg for a L series lens or you have to stick with something that produces sub-standard quality pictures. Non L lens that is sharp and clear is very rare with Canon

Nikon on the other hand, has great lens even if you don't go with its pro line, the issue i have with Nikon is that everything cost a fortune, and the interface is definitely not user friendly (just my personal subjective view).

5D MKII and the 24-105 F4L is my current favorite travel companion. We will be going to Japan again next June, hope to bring this baby with me to take some more shots
(#15 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
best brushes are Chinese so I would probably not ask that question
Well, the best camera is Panavision as I know and it's American!!!
If you gonna say that is not for singe sots, think it over, though that's true it's not for regular customers.
And it's not that only Japan provide good cameras.

I'd like to ask if Japanese only use Chinese brushes(because they are the bests), but that would be a dumb question...
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Well, the best camera is Panavision as I know and it's
I'd like to ask if Japanese only use Chinese brushes(because they are the bests), but that would be a dumb question...
Your sarcasm has failed. Chinese brushes may be of the same quality, technically, but since the price is much lower, they are better. One simply needs to know where to buy. Majority of Japanese masters use Chinese supplies. But how would you know that...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Your sarcasm has failed. Chinese brushes may be of the same quality, technically, but since the price is much lower, they are better. One simply needs to know where to buy. Majority of Japanese masters use Chinese supplies. But how would you know that...
Ehh. Sarcasm is for fail so I don't mind! Sorry for that.
But I also used my logic, and you haven't answered to my first question so I rephrase it. I asked if it would fit in this thread to speak about brushes and ink.
I accidentally picked the wrong example. It was unintentional, course I don't know nothing about Japanese artwork.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
11-17-2010, 07:32 PM

My camera is Panasonic, FZ38, before it, FZ28. Very good, but still a bit slow in focal speed and lacks a bit at exposure in multiple light condition.
Had before a few Fujifilm, but it was a high collector of noise even in very good light, not to speak in normal lighting in a house. At focal speed, and accuracy it was pretty good (almost same as the Panasonic), but they need better chips at they're mid range of cameras.

Quote:
Majority of Japanese...use Chinese supplies...
Majority of people all around use Chinese supplies nowadays.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Ehh. Sarcasm is for fail so I don't mind! Sorry for that.
But I also used my logic, and you haven't answered to my first question so I rephrase it. I asked if it would fit in this thread to speak about brushes and ink.
I accidentally picked the wrong example. It was unintentional, course I don't know nothing about Japanese artwork.
lol but your point about brushes and cameras was pretty good, i must admit , i was only teasing. Though really, imagine that japanese ink stones can cost 17.000 USD, and brushes can go up as high as 11.000. So even though the quality is comparable, Chine is the place to get stuff. Just need to be aware of scams.

@protheus - that is correct, but it doesn:t necessary mean that everything there is better than anywhere else. Usually, it is the oposite. With brushes is different. They use them for (at lesast) 6000-7000 years. Items unearthed in Yangshao were decorated with brush woork.
I:d say thats a pretty well founded craft.

Last edited by ryuurui : 11-17-2010 at 08:18 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-18-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Pentax made some really nice products, but I recently switch to Canon, only because they have one of the best cheap full frame camera. I currently shoot with a 5D MKII, and the quality is amazing, especially at high ISO. I think i have a love/hate thing going on with Canon though. You can't get a decent lens for a good price with Canon, its either you pay an arm/leg for a L series lens or you have to stick with something that produces sub-standard quality pictures. Non L lens that is sharp and clear is very rare with Canon

Nikon on the other hand, has great lens even if you don't go with its pro line, the issue i have with Nikon is that everything cost a fortune, and the interface is definitely not user friendly (just my personal subjective view).

5D MKII and the 24-105 F4L is my current favorite travel companion. We will be going to Japan again next June, hope to bring this baby with me to take some more shots
If Pentax died, I would have went with Nikon instead. Hehe, hope to see some photos from Japan ! The closest shots I have of Japan so far is the Narita airport haha!

Thanks for the insight about Canon... I know they are popular... but I didn't know too much about them.