JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

01-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Hi Niikura. I was working on the calligraphy for your tattoo recently and I am posting here two fragments.

Text will be written in two kana styles: 分かち書き (broken writing) and 散らし書き (scattered writing). First one means that there will be an open space between 6 lines of text. Such blank space symbolizes "the void" (空) which is the highest element in Japanese theory of five elements. It also will leave a nice opening for the character 水 that you have already had tattooed.

Second method refers to lines beginning from different heights on the paper. It introduces a lot of rhythm, life and emphasizes emotions. Scattered writing symbolizes natural irregularity of a landscape. This is most likely because first poems in kana were capturing beauty of nature.

I am gonna send you a high res. pictures to your email.

first fragment: 窓辺に一人きり (...) 見つめてる君を(...)硝子越(...)

second fragment: (...)口付けして。。。 ねぇ (...) 泣かないで ここ(...)ずっと(...)
(#22 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Gorgeous calligraphy there, and it almost looks like water trickling down the back which I guess would go with the water thing, but I can't help but notice it doesn't match the style the 水 was written in.

I know nothing of art, is the contrast a good thing?

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

01-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
Gorgeous calligraphy there, and it almost looks like water trickling down the back which I guess would go with the water thing, but I can't help but notice it doesn't match the style the 水 was written in.

I know nothing of art, is the contrast a good thing?
it can never match the water as the water was a computer font (in my opinion). water can be treated as an image, and the calligraphy will wrap it.

I have prepared the text written on red paper with gold ink, it came out quite nicely.

second half of the text. gold ink allows to see more details, though since the line is very delicate everything cannot be caught on the camera.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Niikura91 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Niikura91
:d - 01-03-2011, 09:47 PM

I'm very pleased with the calligraphy, it's simply stunning! I love the style and how it seems dynamic, flowing and elegant at the same time, brilliant.
As for the contrast and difference, I really don't mind at all. It is something I knew I would have to decide and I do not regret it either. Since both tattoos represent different things, it's really okay for me to have them look differently as well. But when I decided to cover my back in these kanji, I at least wanted it done properly. There's no way I would cover my back completely in these "computer fonts" to this extent.

Anyway, wonderful work. I come home from Egypt tomorrow so I'll write you an email tomorrow evening.

"The answer is dreams. Dreaming on and on. Entering the world of dreams and never coming out. Living in dreams for the rest of time."

- Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

01-04-2011, 02:41 AM

Thank you Niikura, I am really happy it agrees with your personality and aesthetics. I really enjoyed writing it too, thus there is a lot of positive energy locked within those lines.