JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niikura91 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Niikura91
Red face Japanese Kanji tattoo help - 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM

I'm not really sure if this post qualifies for this section but I give it a shot anyway. I am planning on doing several more tattoos on my back in addition to the one I have already, and I need a little help to ensure I get it right. I have one kanji tattooed on my back already, however it is rather large and also very important and meaningful to me (mizu). What I want to do is to continue further below it with smaller text in three sections, aligned underneath to balance it out.

The tricky part for me here is to ensure both that I get the kanji's and meaning right, while also make sure they are correctly placed above/under each other. I have the lyrics I would like to tattoo, yet need to make sure they are correct and need help putting them vertical rather than horizontally. To give you an idea of what I'm aiming for, I have made a simple image.

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...tiontattoo.jpg

This is a image of me and the mizu tattoo I already have. What I would like to do is pretty much what I doodled underneath it with the random kanjis (ignore the meaning, I did not put any effort into making it right, I just needed something for comparison to see if I wanted it that way)
The lyrics I would like is:

kanji:

窓辺に一人きりで只雪を見つめてる君を思い出しながら
硝子越しに君を浮かべ最後の口付けして

ねぇ 笑ってよ もう泣かないで
ここからずっと貴方を見ているわ

romaji:
(Note: Some sources say the correct word is madohen and not madobe, but I'm not sure which one is right)

Madobe ni hitori kiride tada yuki wo mitsumeteru
kimi wo omoidashi nagara garasu goshi ni kimi wo
ukabe saigo no kuchitsuke shite

Nee waratteyo mou nakanaide
koko kara zutto anata wo mite iru wa

english:
(there are many and varying exact translations for these lyrics, so I just picked one of them as they basically mean the same thing)

All alone by the window, just staring at the snow
While remembering you, seeing you in the glass
I give you a final kiss

Come on, smile, don't cry anymore
From here on, I'll always be watching you

I hope this isn't too much to ask for and that someone out there will try to help me out with this or direct me to someone who can. These lyrics and their meaning are really important to me and I really want to get this right. Send me a personal message or a reply here if you're interested or have any questions/comments
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-19-2010, 05:58 PM

what i want to ask you is where do you get the style of writing from? I mean the style kanji/text will be written in. Don't tell me it will be a computerized font.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Niikura91 (Offline)
New to JF

12-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
what i want to ask you is where do you get the style of writing from? I mean the style kanji/text will be written in. Don't tell me it will be a computerized font.
Of course not xD I was thinking of getting it done by a calligrapher decently when I obtain the text I want. I just want to make sure that this is correct and see if anyone can help me align it decently so I can make his/her work a bit easier. Since I have to pay to get it done, I might as well do the research myself I figured. Of course, other suggestions are welcome, as figuring out how to do this is pretty much the reason for this post

Last edited by Niikura91 : 12-19-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot section
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-19-2010, 07:38 PM

if you need a calligrapher let me know, i can write it for you. I am sure we can come to some arrangement.

Text is correct:
窓辺に一人きりで只雪を見つめてる君を思い出しながら 硝子越しに君を浮かべ最後の口付けして。。。 ねぇ 笑ってよ もう泣かないで ここからずっと貴方を見ているわ

This would look really beautiful in cursive style, with elements of kana.

Last edited by ryuurui : 12-19-2010 at 07:47 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Niikura91 (Offline)
New to JF

12-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
if you need a calligrapher let me know, i can write it for you. I am sure we can come to some arrangement.

Text is correct:
窓辺に一人きりで只雪を見つめてる君を思い出しながら 硝子越しに君を浮かべ最後の口付けして。。。 ねぇ 笑ってよ もう泣かないで ここからずっと貴方を見ているわ

This would look really beautiful in cursive style, with elements of kana.
Thank you ^^ That was what I feared the most, if I had managed to get it wrong. I am indeed looking for a calligrapher and would love to work with you if you're interested. It seems you really know the ropes, I saw some of your work on a previous thread. You're really talented.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Please send me an email to ryurui75@gmail.com and we can take it from there. There is few things I need to know before I even start thinking about writing. The style needs to go with your life philosophy, personality, etc. I also wish to know more about your choice of 水 character. I reckon it is crucial.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Just curious, why did you choose water as a character for a tattoo? It makes me think of 水商売.

I will reserve my opinion of sentences or song lyrics in Japanese as tattoos, but at the very least I wouldn't get it written in a different style that the one you already have.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Niikura91 (Offline)
New to JF

12-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Just curious, why did you choose water as a character for a tattoo? It makes me think of 水商売.

I will reserve my opinion of sentences or song lyrics in Japanese as tattoos, but at the very least I wouldn't get it written in a different style that the one you already have.
Actually, the answer is both very simple and quite complex at the same time, because for me it's somewhat hard to put the feelings into words.
It's been a nickname (mizu) following me for a very long time, ever since I was a little girl. I grew up by the sea in a small port city and have always been fond of water and it's cousins; ice and snow. I always felt more at ease by water or sea. In many ways, I feel the element completes me and defines my character, so eventually I decided to honor that part of myself through the tattoo and the kanji. It's really very simple, while at the same time defines the complexity that is my character at the same time. Understandable to some, yet incomprehensible to others. My fondness of kanji and Japanese speaks for itself through it.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Water has a deep meaning in Asia. To be like water means flexible, persistent, clear, thus pure, adjustable but powerful if needed, etc. Also it is one of the 5 elements in theory of 5 elements, be it Chinese or Japanese. Water nourishes life, and lack of it takes it away. It is the beginning and end of all things. The list goes on.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Niikura91 (Offline)
New to JF

12-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Water has a deep meaning in Asia. To be like water means flexible, persistent, clear, thus pure, adjustable but powerful if needed, etc. Also it is one of the 5 elements in theory of 5 elements, be it Chinese or Japanese. Water nourishes life, and lack of it takes it away. It is the beginning and end of all things. The list goes on.
Indeed. It's really amazing that such a simple thing can be so crucial, versatile, beautiful and life-sustaining all at the same time. It certainly shows how the simplest of things can be the most important, which is knowledge I also carry with me at all times in life.

By the way, I shall be mailing you soon regarding the calligraphy. I really look forward to chat with you, despite the initial difficulty I have when it comes to describing what even this simple character I already have means to me. I really appreciate it.