JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Interesting Japanese Table - 07-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Heyup!

I picked up this interesting little number today from a Second Hand Shop for a fiver.

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify the scene that has been carved into the tabletop (covered with glass) and the markings around the edges? I can see a woman with tea and another playing the koto, not sure what else is in the background though? I'm sure I recognise the face on the legs. Is it a god? Or is it the dog that's always atop the statues?

I don't know what colour it's supposed to be but somebody has badly repainted it with the colour you can see and they have accidently gone over the gold painted detail in lots of places. What colour would furniture of this type have been traditionally in Japan?

I'm thinking of sanding and repainting it myself, maybe black with silver details? If you were to repaint this table, what colours would you use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.jpg (191.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0034.jpg (105.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (111.6 KB, 56 views)

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2011, 11:57 PM

I think that it is a desk in China.
Because the coating is dirty, I think that you should peel off.
Van Dyke brown and the black might be suited.

caution : It is often said by the friend, "Have poor taste".

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-11-2011, 06:52 PM

What makes you say that it is Chinese?

Other questions still stand...

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM

screams chinese to me too mate.. but, i'm far from an expert

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
The color scheme. The design of the scene. The figures in traditional Chinese dress. The design of the table itself (feet, shape). The fact that it is a high table to begin with.

There isn`t much that doesn`t scream Chinese about it, to be quite honest.

To hit the other questions though;

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone can help me identify the scene that has been carved into the tabletop (covered with glass) and the markings around the edges?
It`s a pretty common, almost stereotypical scene (poorly carved at that) that appears in Chinese art.

Quote:
I can see a woman with tea and another playing the koto, not sure what else is in the background though?
Tea in a very Chinese pot. I would guess it`s not a koto, but the Chinese equivalent. The koto is depicted as being much closer to the ground.

Quote:
I'm sure I recognise the face on the legs. Is it a god? Or is it the dog that's always atop the statues?
I can`t say for sure, but it looks like a dragon face or Chinese style qilin.

Quote:
I don't know what colour it's supposed to be but somebody has badly repainted it with the colour you can see and they have accidently gone over the gold painted detail in lots of places.
It looks more like the gold detail has worn off. I would guess that the gold on red is the original color scheme.

Quote:
What colour would furniture of this type have been traditionally in Japan?
In China, gold on red sounds about right. There isn`t really anything comparable to this in Japan. If I were to going to repaint it though, a dark lacquer only would look best. My opinion only, of course.

It makes me think of a very cheap mass produced "Chinese-ish" accent table from some inexpensive "ethnic" furniture place. The red and gold painting is more than likely the original, as the quality of the carving is so poor.

If you like it though, what does it matter?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
For me it is the huge curve on the corner of the roof.
I mean, of course those kind of small curves exist in Japanese architecture but for some reason I get the feeling that I have seen much bigger curves on some Chinese buildings than I have on Japanese buildings.

Also the shape of that teapot doesn't seem to fit in with my image of the Japanese teapot (Please note I am not a teapot expert so this is all just gut feeling)

The curved legs on the table make me think Chinese more than Japanese (Again, I'm not a table expert either)

And that stringed instrument which is on the table could be a similar Chinese instrument.
Also, I know it doesn't have much detail in it, but if it were a koto I would have wanted to see the bridges under the strings... Although maybe it wasn't possible to carve that kind of detail in...

The dragons on the side of the table make me think of China rather than Japan.

And lastly, what are those things hanging down by the legs of the 2 standing people?
I keep on thinking they are some kind of swords but I just can't work it out.

Well, anyway, whether those reasons are correct or not, that is what makes me think Chinese more than Japanese for this table.

Edit: Seems Nyororin beat me with a much better explanation
(#7 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
The dragons on the side of the table make me think of China rather than Japan.
I also thought of that
Also the dragon on the edge of the table (first picture) looks very... well... Chinese :O