JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Calligraphy books recommendations - 10-15-2011, 01:13 AM

Most likely this is a thread where only Ryuurui will answer, and perhaps scold me because I am not doing things in the traditional way ( I swear it, if I could I would, but it was so hard to get the materials in the first place).

In short, is there any calligraphy book you would recommend as an introduction to the shodo, (mostly about learning the art itself, but any others regarding the history are ok).

I am asking this, because I am still a neophyte in this, thus I cannot really discern the information very well (yet).

I will still try to find a local teacher, but if that fails, I'll resort to the books... (as a note, I was expecting to find resouces on the internet, but there are none, or they are just introductory...).

If the books are on japanese, that is fine, ( it will force me to study more, so, that is good).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-15-2011, 03:59 AM

I would never scold anyone who is willing to study. The way of studying can be revised, but someone's will to better himself cannot, as it comes from within. So, I am happy to hear that you are studying.

In regards to the books. Well, the books about the art itself, I could advise you numerous titles, from a light read to a serious in-depth positions. However, if it comes to the method of writing, I know none, as I do not use them. Nonetheless, all is not lost, and you can learn a lot from you tube, if you know where to look.

Look up videos of Joshua (art-virtue)

artvirtue's Channel - YouTube

also, videos by 001Asoer, they are all in Chinese, but it doesn't matter.

and also videos by by sf108com

To start off, look for videos posted by those 3 users and search for 永字八法, which are the 8 principles of the character 永, i.e. the basic strokes of the standard script, which is a script that you should be learning at first.

Hope that helps. 頑張ってね!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
I would never scold anyone who is willing to study. The way of studying can be revised, but someone's will to better himself cannot, as it comes from within. So, I am happy to hear that you are studying.

In regards to the books. Well, the books about the art itself, I could advise you numerous titles, from a light read to a serious in-depth positions. However, if it comes to the method of writing, I know none, as I do not use them. Nonetheless, all is not lost, and you can learn a lot from you tube, if you know where to look.

Look up videos of Joshua (art-virtue)

artvirtue's Channel - YouTube

I swear I searched several times, the only decent videos I found were

also, videos by 001Asoer, they are all in Chinese, but it doesn't matter.

and also videos by by sf108com

To start off, look for videos posted by those 3 users and search for 永字八法, which are the 8 principles of the character 永, i.e. the basic strokes of the standard script, which is a script that you should be learning at first.

Hope that helps. 頑張ってね!
I swear it, I found just like three channels, which had like 5 videos, I googled several times the terms: " Japanese calligraphy" "Chinese calligraphy" "Shufa" "Shodo" and so On... most of the resources were:
Too limited
Chinese only
Taking an approach on the History of it, rather than the techniques

That is why I believe the book approach was the only way out.

I'll have to contact the local language school, yet again, now to beg them to open a calligraphy class...

[weaboo] This is what I get for not living in japan [/weaboo]
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-15-2011, 11:35 AM

I just gave you three really good shodou channels...

Have a look at this entire series:

Radicals in Chinese Kaishu Calligraphy: 亠. 楷書偏旁部首講解:亠 (1/2) - YouTube

Books are not good, as they don't teach the proper way of operating the brush tip.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
I just gave you three really good shodou channels...

Have a look at this entire series:

Radicals in Chinese Kaishu Calligraphy: 亠. 楷書偏旁部首講解:亠 (1/2) - YouTube

Books are not good, as they don't teach the proper way of operating the brush tip.
Yes, I will use those, thanks.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-15-2011, 05:43 PM

I have a book about shodo calligraphy. with many examples. It does depend on how keen one is to study really.

I did have a few lessons from a Chinese gentleman-- teaching the basic shapes and how to achieve them-- but that was straightforward, he suggested I practise on old telephone books. I do have some books of Katakana where one copies each syllable until they become decent copies.

Of course the SHODO is a different ballgame.

As no doubt Ryruui would tell you. One does need to see how to hold the brush correctly which is difficult from a book. There is nothing to touch watching an expert.

PS thanks for those webs\ites Ryruui-- really excellent.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 10-16-2011 at 03:03 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-15-2011, 06:41 PM

You're welcome Babs!

You can virtually practice on anything. Huai Su was so poor that he practiced on palm leaves. He turned out to be one of the most brilliant cursive script masters of all time.

The accounts I suggested show the proper Chinese classical method, and they also point out fraud videos with incorrect and misleading information in them, such as this one:

Japanese Kanji: Power & Courage - YouTube

There is one more on youtube, where one guy is "explaining" the origins of Chinese characters. I cannot find it now, but despite the cleaver setting (kimono, Japanese style room, 100 million brushes, etc.) everything in that vid. is wrong. So, be careful when you browse.

Last edited by ryuurui : 10-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-16-2011, 03:01 PM

HI ryuruui

the only setback with the sites is they are speaking chinese?

thanks also for the warning.

Ps one of these days I will learn how to spell your name correctly-- I always get it wrong.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-16-2011, 03:11 PM

It doesn't matter. The most important is the brush operating method. This is what he needs to observe. Calligraphy is written with the brush tip. To know how to operate the tip means to know how to write. There are no, or VERY few, English videos on the subject (except the ones in which people have no clue what they are doing). So, the Chinese videos must do for now. If he watches some of the 001Asoer vids., he is adding English subs. to them gradually.

Don't worry about the name spelling. It is so unimportant.