JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dreb (Offline)
New to JF

Scroll painting help - 12-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Hello,

some time ago, I found a beautyfull Japanese scroll painting. I bought it and start searching info about it. I couldn't find anything, I used google, wikipedia etc. ... So, now I am here and need your help.

The most strange thing for me is, that there are 11 (eleven) red marks on it. What is that supposed to mean, that it is made by eleven different artists ? Who are they ?

Could someone help me ? I don't even know what is written on it ( I can see that there are kanji symbols, but I am not able to read it or to translate it).

Thank you in advance !

(#2 (permalink))
Old
rizu (Offline)
New to JF

12-23-2011, 04:46 AM

okay, so i may be wrong, but for some reason i remember hearing this in an art history class.

scroll paintings were given as gifts to others. and every time it was re-gifted, the giver would write a message, and then sign the message with their stamp.

i am not 100% on this. just what i remember hearing somewhere...

だらだらが一番!

mochigashi.blogspot.com
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizu View Post
okay, so i may be wrong, but for some reason i remember hearing this in an art history class.

scroll paintings were given as gifts to others. and every time it was re-gifted, the giver would write a message, and then sign the message with their stamp.

i am not 100% on this. just what i remember hearing somewhere...
デタラメ言ってんじゃねーよ!!!!!

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
デタラメ言ってんじゃねーよ!!!!!
hahaha i laughed so hard when I read it. I was waiting for some native to get pissed at that cock'n' bull story.

Multiple seals (more than main 3, max. 4 (including footer seal)) are pressed by collectors, or those who owned the scroll. Some masterpieces may have as many as 60 or more seals. Depending on who presses them, but for instance emperors' seals, or famous calligraphers seals significantly increase value of works.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-26-2011, 05:26 PM

HI Piotr, Will you join the new forum-- where hopefully there will not be so much SPAM. You are an important and knowledgeable person on calligraphy etc, so I hope you will be able to register over at japanlogic forum