JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japanese Contemporary Art Books - 05-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Can anyone recommend any good books of artwork by contemporary Japanese Artists?

I've already got "The Japanese Experience: Inevitable" with works by Takashi Murakami, Yoshitomo Nara and Mr. as well as "Warriors Of Art" which features the destruction of Tokyo pics by Hisaharu Motoda and works by Sako Kojima which I particularly like.

So any other good books out there?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
nihonga (Offline)
JF Regular

Japanese Art Books - 05-22-2007, 02:49 AM

I have read those books too!

If you are interested in Japanese contemporary art, you might want to read the following books:

Superflat by Murakami. The book is older, so you've probably already seen most of the art, but the book explains his theory on the "Superflat" movement in Japanese contemporary art.

The Age of Micropop catalog to the Door Into Summer: Micropop where Midori Matsui explains her theory on the Japanese art she calls "Micropop".

The catalog to the current Aida Makoto and Akira Yamaguchi show at the Ueno Royal Museum is interesting.

Also, if you like Aya Takano and her contemporaries, you might check out the Tokyo Girls Bravo book.

One problem with these suggestions is that most of them are catalogs to Japanese art group shows, so maybe they are a little hard to find outside of Japan. I will think about other possible books and try to post more suggestions later.

"Youths of Japan, scrawl your graffiti in kanji!" -Tenmyouya
(#3 (permalink))
Old
timo (Offline)
JF Regular

Thumbs up 05-31-2007, 05:34 PM

do not forget contemporary manga art. get a copy of: robot super color comic, edited by range murata. there are 8 in the series, so far, only #1 has been translated to english, not that you need any translation.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Mom3n7uM00 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Mom3n7uM00 Send a message via MSN to Mom3n7uM00
07-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Read Superflat like mentioned above, read little boy also Murakami related, Lullaby supermarket (Yoshitomo Nara related), those "Japanese experience" books (they are a collective of articles on several japanese artists), and try to get your hands on Mizuno Junko's books if your into that (I think they are kinda cute).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Mom3n7uM00 (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2008, 02:15 PM

+Read Superflat like mentioned above, read little boy also Murakami related, Lullaby supermarket (Yoshitomo Nara related), those "Japanese experience" books (they are a collective of articles on several japanese artists), and try to get your hands on Mizuno Junko's books if your into that (I think they are kinda cute).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Mom3n7uM00 (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2008, 02:16 PM

+I just realized you said you already owned "TJE", srry about that.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Mom3n7uM00 (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2008, 02:20 PM

+Also Im big into Eastern/Western figures and they have a couple of books on those, it may not be all japanese but there are some designers from japan,
check out "I am plastic" and magazines like "beautiful decay/Clutter"
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks for all the responses. There's quite a few Murakami books out there. Since this thread started they released this one...

This is a beast at 330 pages, however most of it seemed to be text, and it didn't look like there were many new pictures in it. Still if the text is interesting enough it would be worth it. Anyone got a copy?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Yohitaka Amano books are pretty incredible and several published in the US.