JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chess (Offline)
JF Regular

So, what's the meaning behind those tattoos? - 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM

I need your help guys, I am accumulating as much research as possible regarding the tattoos from the Land of the Rising Sun. Telling me the tattoos and their respective meaning will be highly appreciated.

My sole purpose for this research is due to the fact that I'm considering of getting a tattoo done. But I would love it if it will be a Japanese-themed one.

I'm planning of getting a Japanese-style tattoo which revolves on Cherry Blossoms and Sparrows. So, what's the meaning of Cherry Blossoms on their art? Internet-based answers are confusing me.

And, is the tattoo mentioned above only applicable to women, considering that the art itself is effeminate?

Tattoos are forever carved unto their respectful owners. And they tell much about the individual who wears it. So knowing what are the meanings behind the art is more than better. Thanks.

Last edited by Chess : 09-26-2012 at 09:33 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Someone23 (Offline)
New to JF

Tattoo is a bad symbol in Japan - 10-02-2012, 02:10 PM

In Japan, tattoo is the symbol of Japanese mafia (yakuza).
Decent people never try to make tattoo in Japan.
And police would not allow people with tattoo to swim in a pool or bathe in a spring.
The mayor of Osaka city doesn't allow people with tattoo to word at the city office.

Old days, a round tattoo in one's arm was the proof that he has a criminal record.

Now in younger generations think not much about tattoo, but old Japanese decent people hate to see tattoo.

You may do tattoo, but I strongly advise you not to show it to Japanese people.

Hope this helps.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jackkie (Offline)
Banned

02-17-2017, 01:06 PM

I think all tattoos have their own meaning.. For example i found a new tattoo for me. It is all seeing eye tattoo. The Eye of Providence that forms the base of the All Seeing Eye tattoo is basically an ancient symbol which has been used as a symbol of omniscience. It depicts the sun that looks upon the earth from the sky. The image of the eye that is confined within a triangle represents the triune godhead. I read this in this nice article, with many images of this tattoos..