JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Joly (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2008, 04:49 PM

The traditional architecture is just so soothing to be in.^^ Once I took my two-year-old brother to a Japanese garden, and even he recognized the beauty of the tea house and said, "This nice place! This good place!"

I have a question concerning Japanese architecture...I've noticed it in movie sets/etc., and I don't know what it is. Often in some of the shoji screens, one square of paper has a reddish cross on it. Does anyone know what that's about? I put Paint on these pics to show what I'm talking about:

Sorry I can't find online pics that show the whole thing.><

Mono no aware
Murasaki iro no hana
Haru no hana
To fuyu no koyuki
Harahara
(#12 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
I have a question concerning Japanese architecture...I've noticed it in movie sets/etc., and I don't know what it is. Often in some of the shoji screens, one square of paper has a reddish cross on it. Does anyone know what that's about?
Very observant. I never noticed them before and I can only make a guess from having not had them on sliding screens in theatrical productions. It cold be a corss piece to reinforce the panel providing a safe handle for sliding the screen. Just my guess, and I would really like know the real sue for it too.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-23-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
The traditional architecture is just so soothing to be in.^^ Once I took my two-year-old brother to a Japanese garden, and even he recognized the beauty of the tea house and said, "This nice place! This good place!"

I have a question concerning Japanese architecture...I've noticed it in movie sets/etc., and I don't know what it is. Often in some of the shoji screens, one square of paper has a reddish cross on it. Does anyone know what that's about? I put Paint on these pics to show what I'm talking about:
Sorry I can't find online pics that show the whole thing.><
Whoa, I watched Shinsengumi at least twice and several other taiga drama and didn't notice that.. very observant...

I don't recall seeing these cross mark at physical location. As TalnSG pointed out, it could be a form of reinforcement. I have seen tape on one or two of them at my Uncle's place last year, but that is because my niece ripped it and they didn't want to change the paper yet at the time