JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
krusades (Offline)
New to JF

Are there large sizes in Japan? - 03-31-2008, 07:00 AM

Hi I am going to be in Japan for about 6 months teaching English in January 2009 and I enjoy japanese fashion a good bit(not too big on the gothloli stuff, I prefer junya watanabe and yohji yamamoto type stuff). I am 6 foot 1(186cm) with a little muscle and no fat. I wear a size 32 inch waist and 34 inch leg and I usually wear size medium or large shirts. Will I be able to find clothing in my size?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-31-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusades View Post
Hi I am going to be in Japan for about 6 months teaching English in January 2009 and I enjoy japanese fashion a good bit(not too big on the gothloli stuff, I prefer junya watanabe and yohji yamamoto type stuff). I am 6 foot 1(186cm) with a little muscle and no fat. I wear a size 32 inch waist and 34 inch leg and I usually wear size medium or large shirts. Will I be able to find clothing in my size?
I don't think you'll have too much of a problem. Shoes might be hard to find, but pants should be OK. I noticed UNIQLO started releasing XL sizes (usually LL in Japan) and hopefully other companies will follow suit. The Japanese XL is probably closer to an American L than XL.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
krusades (Offline)
New to JF

04-01-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Shoes might be hard to find
I have size 12-13 foot so its even hard to find my size sometimes here in North America..I guess that just means I need to invest in a few pairs of shoes before I go :S
(#4 (permalink))
Old
hypekstatic (Offline)
The Zainichi

04-01-2008, 04:29 AM

Yeah, MMM is right!
Shoes are made TINY in Japan...especially for women!
otherwise you seem fit, so why would you worry?

on another note, if girls wear Large in America,
they'll never survive in CHINA. I swear, in China if you arent
skinny, you can only wear jerseys and sweats...all the fashionable
stuff is made for sizes Small and beyond small -_-

"hey souljah boy, can i.... YAHH TRICK YAHHH!!!!!"
(#5 (permalink))
Old
seomax (Offline)
Banned

04-01-2008, 04:37 AM

is japan culture keep women to wear a tiny shoes
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-01-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seomax View Post
1) No.

2) Your signature messes with the page settings. Maybe cut out a few of the websites.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-01-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
No. Women`s feet are naturally small.

Back on the original topic though - I would just bring clothes with you. Yes, it is indeed possible to get clothing in larger sizes in Japan - but the emphasis there is on the possible... It doesn`t mean it`s going to be easy. You`ll likely have quite a bit of trouble, and your choices will be severely limited. It will also not be cheap. The further you go from the "norm" of S,M,L (which maps to something like a US XS,S,M. No, probably not even a real M. In the US I can buy Ms in some brands, but end up needing to buy 3L in Japan... But that`s more related to bust, a problem you won`t encounter.) the more expensive things become. A lot of times, you`ll find that the large sizes carried are just majorly marked up stuff imported from elsewhere.

Shoes are a literal nightmare. My husband is 28cm, something like a US size 10. He can hardly ever find shoes that are made in that size, for order - let alone that are just in the store.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
seomax (Offline)
Banned

04-01-2008, 04:58 AM

u believe that japanies sumo is only built in japan not elsewhere, i could see them only in japan frm ancient history, and history told me that japanies were more inteligent than other people
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-01-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
No. Women`s feet are naturally small.

Back on the original topic though - I would just bring clothes with you. Yes, it is indeed possible to get clothing in larger sizes in Japan - but the emphasis there is on the possible... It doesn`t mean it`s going to be easy. You`ll likely have quite a bit of trouble, and your choices will be severely limited. It will also not be cheap. The further you go from the "norm" of S,M,L (which maps to something like a US XS,S,M. No, probably not even a real M. In the US I can buy Ms in some brands, but end up needing to buy 3L in Japan... But that`s more related to bust, a problem you won`t encounter.) the more expensive things become. A lot of times, you`ll find that the large sizes carried are just majorly marked up stuff imported from elsewhere.

Shoes are a literal nightmare. My husband is 28cm, something like a US size 10. He can hardly ever find shoes that are made in that size, for order - let alone that are just in the store.

I just visited a "Large and Tall" store for men in Osaka, and it took me several minutes to realize that it was actually a Large and Tall store. It seemed more like a normal men's store to me.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Katchan6 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-01-2008, 05:55 AM

*nods* my uncle (who's japanese) is much taller than my dad (who's not). so i dont think sizes in men are that different in japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
1) No.

2) Your signature messes with the page settings. Maybe cut out a few of the websites.
uhh i thought they used to bind feet...? or was that only in china?

「えっ、知らないの? ずくだんずんぶんぐんゲーム。」