JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mutiny1190 (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I live just north of downtown Pittsburgh, PA in Glenshaw.
Send a message via AIM to mutiny1190
hair length (yes im a guy) - 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Ok. So I am a YFU Japan hopeful. I have pretty thick hair down to my shoulder blades (I am about 5'8"). Is is common for Japanese high school guys (Im in 11th grade) to have long hair? Should i get it shaped up if i do go? I usually keep it pulled back in a ponytail.

I also have a pretty impressive beard for a kid my age and mad amounts of chest hair. I know facial and body hair aren't common in Japan but is it improper to not be clean shaven?

Sorry for such an akward question, but hey what can you do?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-01-2008, 09:06 PM

I don't know what YFU is, but I don't think long hair is a problem. I'd probably shave, though.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
d34thp0odle (Offline)
=o long time not here

Send a message via ICQ to d34thp0odle Send a message via AIM to d34thp0odle Send a message via MSN to d34thp0odle Send a message via Skype™ to d34thp0odle
05-01-2008, 09:08 PM

nothing !
just let it be how it is ^^!?

i got thick, long hair myself and i wouldnt cut it only because i go to japan
show tham your style =P
(tho i would probably take care of that chest of yours .. in that age its probably not so .. u know .. but since im a guy dont let me hold you back from keeping ur chest hair .. probably im totally wrong and japanese girls like it...)

poodle

The Gods made Heavy Metal, and they saw it was good.

>>> W:O:A 2009 - 20th Anniversary "Louder than Hell"<<<
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Pjok (Offline)
is a 17 yr old now xD¨

Send a message via MSN to Pjok Send a message via Yahoo to Pjok
05-01-2008, 09:15 PM

I think you should do what you wanna do your self.. not what other recommend you to.. because you might end up regretting it, . but then again it could be the other way around.. I think it's more... what do you want to do ?? ;D

JF Family
SØPPEL
Proud member of the Vampire Clan
Claimed by me:
Ban (Lolita23q)
My adorable family knows who they are, <33

Koaku. Koaku. I'm never gonna admit such a big fat and ugly lie and you can't make me do it no matter what you say or what you write in your sig. Sry but i'm kinda really stubborn... ^^v
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjok View Post
I think you should do what you wanna do your self.. not what other recommend you to.. because you might end up regretting it, . but then again it could be the other way around.. I think it's more... what do you want to do ?? ;D

He asked, that's why.

Japanese high schools have rules about appearance.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mutiny1190 (Offline)
New to JF

05-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
He asked, that's why.

Japanese high schools have rules about appearance.
see thats what i ment. the schools and society and all. is it sociably acceptable to go over there with a full beard and really long hair? i wouldn't offend my host family?

and YFU is an exchange program. it stands for Youth For Understanding. they send a bunch of people all over the world to different countries. like my parents are going to host next school year and i might be going to japan this summer.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-02-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny1190 View Post
see thats what i ment. the schools and society and all. is it sociably acceptable to go over there with a full beard and really long hair? i wouldn't offend my host family?

and YFU is an exchange program. it stands for Youth For Understanding. they send a bunch of people all over the world to different countries. like my parents are going to host next school year and i might be going to japan this summer.
I don't think long hair is a big deal, as long as it isn't halfway down your back, but, like I said, I'd shave the beard. In general, Japanese men don't wear facial hair nearly as much as in the west, and I have never seen or even heard of a high school student with facial hair. There may not be a rule, as boys that age usually can't grow a beard anyway, but anything that is considered distracting is discouraged. At many schools, students aren't allowed to color thier hair.

Just being a foreigner will be distracting enough, but facial hair is seen as "dirty" and a sign of poor hygiene by some people. I wouldn't call it "offensive" but I would assume my host family will 1) be surprised and 2) probably not think it was so cool.

I could be wrong, though.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dere (Offline)
New to JF

05-02-2008, 04:32 AM

I agree with the poster above, your hair lenght will present no problems, but it would be recommended to get rid of the beard.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
mutiny1190 (Offline)
New to JF

05-02-2008, 07:14 PM

ok those last two sumed it up. thank you very much.

still no word on the scholarships.