JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

Geisha and Fashion. . . ( Image Heavy ) - 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM

This is the only forum section I could think would be most applicable. During the 1890s - 1930's Geisha were considered the most Chic women of the time. Basically, Geisha set fashion trends, and the way they wore their kimono often inspired how normal women wore Kimono of that time.

What do you people think about Geisha and Kimono? The two subjects are something I am very much interested in. I actually run a little forum that specializes in Geisha and Kimono ( specifically how to dress and the intricacies of it. ). I'm really looking to spread some information on kimono to people who are interested, as, to be honest, there's really not a lot of information out there.

I'm actually a proficient kimono dresser for not having gone to a school, though I am far better in dressing someone else.

Recently, there has been a surge of new attention brought to Kimono, and Geisha-styled Kimono and vintage styles, which also has its draws on wa-loli and fruits. It's called Kimono-hime.

This is how Geisha wear kimono, at least Maiko-san.

Here's a 1920's Geisha. Not what one would expect of a Geisha, some Geisha communities were fairly modern. This lady has adopted a rather flapper-esque hair do called a finger wave, which, over in the US was very popular during the 20's and 30's.

Below I will post some scans from a Kimono Hime Magazine.

I think it's quite interesting that vintage fashion trends are coming back into fashion, yet at the same time, there's been tweaks made. Lace is popular in kimono, especially around the collars, sleeves and such, in a way that is quite similar to Wa-Loli. There hair do's are anything but traditional, and notice a lot of the shoes are more ballet cut, or boots, not Geta and Zori sandals.

What do you guys and gals think??? : )
(#2 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
06-14-2008, 12:26 AM

One of my favorite things to do is to combined styles from difference time periods ( especially the 80's ) and cultures into a modern day outfit.

What aspects about geisha style do you think would fit best into a modern outfit? ( That isn't to lolita-ish because that's really not the type of clothing I feel myself in. )

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-14-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
One of my favorite things to do is to combined styles from difference time periods ( especially the 80's ) and cultures into a modern day outfit.

What aspects about geisha style do you think would fit best into a modern outfit? ( That isn't to lolita-ish because that's really not the type of clothing I feel myself in. )
There's a lot of things one can integrate into an outfit that is Geisha-esque or authentic Japanese Wear.

One of my favorite things to spice up an outfit is Kanzashi. Kanzashi are traditional Japanese Hair ornaments, and they really go good with anything.
There's multiple types:
http://www.patsjapanesethings.com/im...anzashi045.JPG

Geta and Zori, which are traditional Japanese footwear, are also easily added to any wear. I find Geta look quite tasteful with Jeans. : )

Haori, which are Kimono jackets, can also be worn, and are fun with jeans.

You can also use vintage kimono silk in a variety of crafts for clothing. I like to patch my ripped up jeans and jackets with kimono silk to give it a unique, one of a kind look. : )
(#4 (permalink))
Old
IonFortuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to IonFortuna Send a message via Skype™ to IonFortuna
06-14-2008, 01:29 AM

I have always wanted to wear a kimono and geta!!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Motoko (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Motoko Send a message via Yahoo to Motoko
06-14-2008, 02:22 AM

I would love to wear a kimono, the way its supposed to be worn. I saw a girl get dressed in one at the japanese festival the have every year in st.louios and it looks like it takes a long time but its beautiful.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-14-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoko View Post
I would love to wear a kimono, the way its supposed to be worn. I saw a girl get dressed in one at the japanese festival the have every year in st.louios and it looks like it takes a long time but its beautiful.
At first, it does take a long time to dress. When I first began dressing, it would take me an hour or more, but now, it only takes about fifteen minutes, if even. It's a learned skill like any othere. If you drop by my forum ( in my sig ) I'll be soon working on a kimono dressing tut, as well as information on seasons, style and formality.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
VisualLace (Offline)
New to JF

06-14-2008, 03:45 AM

Those are so pretty; makes me want to drag my yukata out... too hot for anything heavier right now (not that I have anything heavier yet, mind you).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

06-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Those are some very nice photographs.

What about the obi? Has that changed and become modernized as well? Or do they still use more of a traditional look?

A lot of the time the way the obi looked and all the colors it had, attracted my eye more then the kimono they wore.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
06-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuruko View Post
There's a lot of things one can integrate into an outfit that is Geisha-esque or authentic Japanese Wear.

One of my favorite things to spice up an outfit is Kanzashi. Kanzashi are traditional Japanese Hair ornaments, and they really go good with anything.
There's multiple types:

Geta and Zori, which are traditional Japanese footwear, are also easily added to any wear. I find Geta look quite tasteful with Jeans. : )

Haori, which are Kimono jackets, can also be worn, and are fun with jeans.

You can also use vintage kimono silk in a variety of crafts for clothing. I like to patch my ripped up jeans and jackets with kimono silk to give it a unique, one of a kind look. : )
Those are genius.
Thank you so much for the help.

I really like the vintage kimono's those will be really easy to mix into my regular style.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-14-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Those are some very nice photographs.

What about the obi? Has that changed and become modernized as well? Or do they still use more of a traditional look?

A lot of the time the way the obi looked and all the colors it had, attracted my eye more then the kimono they wore.
Nah, the Obi really hasn't changed, there isn't much to change, though there are a variety of them. Obi are basically rectangular in shape ranging from 6 - 12 inches wide and varying to about 112 inches long to 160 inches long. However, the ones that the Maiko san wear are about twice that length.

Ironically, the obi is more expensive then the kimono when purchased brand new when one is talking about formal obi. Very expensive and very finely woven.