Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
11-19-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
We call it "trolley rage".
That phrase sounds oxymoronic for one reason or another.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
In England people just barge past each other and exchange insults.. We call it "trolley rage".

Manners is definately something we brittish are getting less of.. I'm gonna feel much more at home when i go shopping in Japan.
Ironically, Shadow, it was my very proper British nanny from Holywell, St. Ives, Huntingdon that taught me that. But that was a long time ago, and she also said that if George III could live without electricity, so could she. So not all the changes in England are for the worse.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

11-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ironically, Shadow, it was my very proper British nanny from Holywell, St. Ives, Huntingdon that taught me that. But that was a long time ago, and she also said that if George III could live without electricity, so could she. So not all the changes in England are for the worse.
To be honest it's the young teenagers that I find the worst, the tweens. Around 12-13 year olds who think they're god's gift and manners don't apply to them. People my age are normally quite pleasant, and it's not just the young un's either. I let a man pass through the door before me, and he took it as an insult to his age and started ranting about how I didn't have to wait, he wasn't old nor senile, blah blah. I didn't even consider his age, and I was actually quite shocked that he swore and chuntered on like what people associate with 'chavvy' teenagers.

It just depends on the person, I've learnt to expect anything.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

11-19-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
hehe >.<''

quite frankly, my attitude changes w/ my attire....
like... when i'm dressed 'casual' i act casual.. and am very laid back...
when i dress in a lot of dark themes (some what of a matrixy feel i guess)
i tend to become arrogant and act as if "i'm too cool for you " kinda thing xD

when i dress formal (dress pants/shirt/shoes etc.) i act professional

>.>''

haha...
anyone else do this?
or does everyone else just act themselves regardless of their attire?
For the most part I act myself regardless of clothing, but when I wear all black I just have that gothic thing going on, complete with a "I don't really give a shit" face.

And when I wear my shades, the gothic thing changes to that Matrix complex.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
11-19-2008, 11:06 PM

I'm glad so many others agree with me. It heartens me to know that there are those out there who value good manners and proper etiquette when it comes to social interactions. Simple acts such as holding doors open and using phrases like 'excuse me' and 'thank you,' or even just saying 'hi' to complete strangers passing by, really brings out a certain warm feeling ¦3 ...even if they give me strange looks because I dress "funny" hahaha

And yes, the coat flourishing really IS a good idea...I'm gonna try it XD

Thanks everybody!

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
11-20-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
when i dress in a lot of dark themes (some what of a matrixy feel i guess)
i tend to become arrogant and act as if "i'm too cool for you " kinda thing xD
Gah, how often have I done this before?

Whoa.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

11-20-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
haha...
anyone else do this?
or does everyone else just act themselves regardless of their attire?
I hate to admit it, but I do that - sometimes to an extreme. Several studies have show that attire does affect how people present themselve and act, but the effect seems to be quite variable.

I was once given a nickname because friends noticed a severe personality change whenever I had to wear "corporate drag". Apparently when dressed in darker knee length skirts and high heels I shift into a decidedly alpha-male, mode. I thought the guys were just teasing me until the bartender starting saying "Yes, sir!" to me while we shooting pool. That was more than 10 years ago, and I have tried to tone "Max" down, but he still kicks in when the stilletos come out of the closet.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
11-21-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I hate to admit it, but I do that - sometimes to an extreme. Several studies have show that attire does affect how people present themselve and act, but the effect seems to be quite variable.

I was once given a nickname because friends noticed a severe personality change whenever I had to wear "corporate drag". Apparently when dressed in darker knee length skirts and high heels I shift into a decidedly alpha-male, mode. I thought the guys were just teasing me until the bartender starting saying "Yes, sir!" to me while we shooting pool. That was more than 10 years ago, and I have tried to tone "Max" down, but he still kicks in when the stilletos come out of the closet.
Here comes statistics to save the day XD As long as the sample size wasn't like 100 or something, then I'd be suspicious still...but that's not the point. I do notice that people act differently when they dress certain ways, and not just on purpose like dressing cute and acting cute to look even cuter. Those who dress in business attire tend to be more on the serious, no-nonsense side than the casual look, which pretty much let's you become more playful and do whatever you want. Not that I'm saying this applies to everybody. of course.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
11-21-2008, 01:48 AM

I'm not really sure how I act...I know I'm the complete opposite of my mom. Which is a good thing. But that's it. My mom will be like 'Say excuse me!' blah blah blah. to my siblings...I always walk off by myself and I get weird looks when I say pardon me and stuff.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

11-24-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
Here comes statistics to save the day XD As long as the sample size wasn't like 100 or something, then I'd be suspicious still...but that's not the point. I do notice that people act differently when they dress certain ways, and not just on purpose like dressing cute and acting cute to look even cuter. Those who dress in business attire tend to be more on the serious, no-nonsense side than the casual look, which pretty much let's you become more playful and do whatever you want. Not that I'm saying this applies to everybody. of course.

Exactly. That is why some American companies are getting away from business casual attire and "Casusal Fridays". Those of us whose production does not slack off because of our attire are losing out to those that think because they can dress more casually, its ok to act more casually when it comes to their work. (BTW it's had mutliple studies and millions of people & back by companies on both sides of the dress code issues.)