JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   Elegant not only in dress (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/20969-elegant-not-only-dress.html)

Arikado 11-19-2008 08:13 AM

Elegant not only in dress

Personally, I believe that the essence of elegant victorian styles lies not only within the form of dress, but also as a piece of mind which you must dedicate to the part. I feel that dressing elegant alone doesn't completely fulfill the role, and that adorning a new set of "chivalries," if you will, fills in the missing accessory, for lack of a better word... Ok, this probably sounds weird, but I'm basically trying to say that you should take on the gentleman/lady role, but not totally over-do it, like speak with an accent, or kneel to kiss hands, or flourish your coat and laugh like "hah hah hah." (That last one was a joke...but save it if you're REALLY roleplaying, it's too good XD.) That's pretty much the idea. Hope this enlightens someone...

Asukachan 11-19-2008 12:16 PM

I agree totally ^.^ But if I really saw someone act like your (jokish) description I'd probably like it XD lol

gloomth 11-19-2008 04:50 PM

I believe that no matter what style you dress in that you ought to behave like a gentleman/lady. That manners, decency, respect, and kindness are too rare in this society and often overlooked as valuable traits.

Though looking all Aristocrat certainly helps ;)

ThirdSight 11-19-2008 05:10 PM

The aristotilian style of being a gentleman are a bit outdated, but there are still some ways to do it in modern culture. It's mainly just being creative, considerate, and polite, which are three qualities that are usually in lack in your modern man and/or woman.

MissMisa 11-19-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloomth (Post 629762)
I believe that no matter what style you dress in that you ought to behave like a gentleman/lady. That manners, decency, respect, and kindness are too rare in this society and often overlooked as valuable traits.

Though looking all Aristocrat certainly helps ;)

Completely agree.

I can't believe the lack of manners these days [haha, I sound like I'm 50!] But some people are so rude. No please's, thankyou's or excuse me's. Some people in the corridor really push into you, so I say haven't you ever heard of 'excuse me,' and they seriously look at me in utter bewilderment. I hold the door open for people, always thank people - I really can't understand the mentality of people who don't. Even if they haven't been brought up with it, surely it's just common sense and/or common knowledge.

So yeah ~ I think the whole Aristocrat/Lolita values are really good ones to have.

SHAD0W 11-19-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMisa (Post 629780)
Completely agree.

I can't believe the lack of manners these days [haha, I sound like I'm 50!] But some people are so rude. No please's, thankyou's or excuse me's. Some people in the corridor really push into you, so I say haven't you ever heard of 'excuse me,' and they seriously look at me in utter bewilderment. I hold the door open for people, always thank people - I really can't understand the mentality of people who don't. Even if they haven't been brought up with it, surely it's just common sense and/or common knowledge.

So yeah ~ I think the whole Aristocrat/Lolita values are really good ones to have.

やっぱり。 サリーちゃんはほんとに50才ですよ!  :p

じょうだんだよー 

I agree totally :)

yuujirou 11-19-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 629796)
やっぱり。 サリーちゃんはほんとに50才ですよ!  :p

じょうだんだよー 

I agree totally :)

lol :rolleyes:

TalnSG 11-19-2008 07:12 PM

Long ago I was taught that good manners are best accessory one can have in a wardrobe. It should not take effort or planning, but should be second nature.

Unfortunately, that attitude seems to have waned severly over the past few years. But it sure makes shopping in the local Asian markets a distinct pleasure, because without exception, everyone is instinctively courteous to those around them. The only confusion is when two people meet at the opeing to an aisle and both stop, bow and apologise - no one wants to proceed down the aisle first. Such a refreshing dilema!:) Nothing like Walmart or the local Kroger.

SHAD0W 11-19-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 629847)
The only confusion is when two people meet at the opeing to an aisle and both stop, bow and apologise - no one wants to proceed down the aisle first. Such a refreshing dilema!:) Nothing like Walmart or the local Kroger.

In England people just barge past each other and exchange insults.. We call it "trolley rage".

Manners is definately something we brittish are getting less of.. I'm gonna feel much more at home when i go shopping in Japan.

" いらっしゃいませ! どぞ!"

Cannot wait!

yuujirou 11-19-2008 08:15 PM

hehe >.<''

quite frankly, my attitude changes w/ my attire....
like... when i'm dressed 'casual' i act casual.. and am very laid back...
when i dress in a lot of dark themes (some what of a matrixy feel i guess)
i tend to become arrogant and act as if "i'm too cool for you " kinda thing xD

when i dress formal (dress pants/shirt/shoes etc.) i act professional

>.>''

haha...
anyone else do this?
or does everyone else just act themselves regardless of their attire?