JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   Is Lolita "O.K." For a middle school setting? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/21467-lolita-%22o-k-%22-middle-school-setting.html)

MyuMyuBeriinoni 12-10-2008 05:07 AM

Is Lolita "O.K." For a middle school setting?

I've tried once. I didn't get in any real trouble, really, at least not with the teachers.... But It was pretty hard to deal with everyone saying "OH-EMM-GEE, You're liek, so emo!" And all those sort of LOVELY comments. *sigh* So, after failing at Gothic Lolita, and not really wanting to try with Sweet Lolita... I figured I'd ask you guys. Do you think Lolita (Specifically Gothic, but any type is fine) is O.K. for a Middle School Setting?

To be honest, the Emo comment also wasn't the only... rude comment. There where many more, calling me a whore, etc. Yeah. That's another reason I wanted to ask you guys.... What do you think? Should I ignore them and try again? Or should I drop it at this? And over all, Is Lolita even appropriate in a 7th grade setting?

Arikado 12-10-2008 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyuMyuBeriinoni (Post 642171)
I've tried once. I didn't get in any real trouble, really, at least not with the teachers.... But It was pretty hard to deal with everyone saying "OH-EMM-GEE, You're liek, so emo!" And all those sort of LOVELY comments. *sigh* So, after failing at Gothic Lolita, and not really wanting to try with Sweet Lolita... I figured I'd ask you guys. Do you think Lolita (Specifically Gothic, but any type is fine) is O.K. for a Middle School Setting?

To be honest, the Emo comment also wasn't the only... rude comment. There where many more, calling me a whore, etc. Yeah. That's another reason I wanted to ask you guys.... What do you think? Should I ignore them and try again? Or should I drop it at this? And over all, Is Lolita even appropriate in a 7th grade setting?

It's tough, but wait until you get to at least high school before dressing in unusual fashions. A lot of middle school kids these days have no respect. I've been called names by kids 5 and 6 years younger than me...wtf? Something is terribly wrong with that age group at this moment, so hold off for now, at least at school.

aznvogue 12-10-2008 05:50 AM

No...bad idea.

Grow up some more first.Too young for that. Hate to say that but doing that at such a young age.... I think it will only make you a target from older guys who are big time perverts and create unwanted attention from older guys.

TheUnknown 12-10-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arikado (Post 642177)
It's tough, but wait until you get to at least high school before dressing in unusual fashions. A lot of middle school kids these days have no respect. I've been called names by kids 5 and 6 years younger than me...wtf? Something is terribly wrong with that age group at this moment, so hold off for now, at least at school.

Ya, Agree. They Are Simply Not Ready. Is Like Giving a Car To a Little Kid; Not Ready For Such Things. Their Minds Are Simply Incapable Taking In New Ideas or Whatnot. So I guess 7th Grade Is Not a Good Idea Practicing Lolita BUT Just To Make This Clear, There Will Always Be Some That Simply Judge and Attempt To Degrade You. It Happens, Maybe In My Own Opinion 'Less' Would Do So. Hope That Helps.

yuujirou 12-10-2008 07:06 AM

unfortunately... i have to agree w/ all the other posters...

just keep in mind that it's not because 'you' fail
it's because everyone else fails >.>''

and i mean that in all seriousness

the typical middle schooler just isn't mature enough to know how to cope with things outside their 'comfort zone'

but, there is also the chance that you might find a fellow loli lover in your school and make a great friend....
but that's just a small chance x]

oh and point of post xD

don't give up on lolita
just lay low for a bit >.>''

MMM 12-10-2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyuMyuBeriinoni (Post 642171)

Your heart is in the right place, but the setting is not. If I were you I would practice sewing, learning lace and other fabrics and make some things.

Sadly, like everyone said, this isn't going to work in middle school. However, the difference between middle school and high school is GIGANTIC.

be patient and get yourself ready.

ThirdSight 12-10-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznvogue (Post 642183)
No...bad idea.

Grow up some more first.Too young for that. Hate to say that but doing that at such a young age.... I think it will only make you a target from older guys who are big time perverts and create unwanted attention from older guys.

^This.

Middle school kids are assholes, you're painting a target on the back of your head, and you could mentally experiment with other fashions whilst waiting to get into high school before donning Lolita attire.

MissMisa 12-10-2008 08:34 AM

Basically, this is the real world. There will be people who will never tolerate you. So either stop caring, or stop trying. I've been spat on, had bricks thrown at me, my mate got his head smashed through a glass door at school, and it all escalated by someone not liking our clothes. If your prepared to deal with it , by all means, but if you aren't then don't bother. If you can't deal with someone calling you an emo then you won't be able to deal with it further down the line.

MissHoneyBeeee 12-10-2008 03:44 PM

i agree with the posts about middle schoolers being rude about ppl's fashion choices. srsly. i'm in middle school >.<

high school is WAY more accepting, since my sister's going there and she wears CAT EARS and CAT TAILS whenever she wants, which i WANTED to do, but i could tell the day i joined middle school that it was a BAD idea for a pixie to do so >.<

i'd wait till u were in ur last year tho, cuz whenever the eight graders at my school do any crazy outfits, nobody is mean (accept for the ppl of the opposite gender just being goofballs lol)

or just u kno, wear it and tell them that they're just too closed-minded to comprehend the beauty of lolita :) EDIT: tho, that also might be bad to say that to them...

SHAD0W 12-10-2008 04:14 PM

Just think yourself lucky you dont live in England, once you even step out of line of "the norm" everyone stares at you and starts slinging abuse. I've even seen parents say to their 3 year old kids "call that girl an emo"