JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-05-2009, 12:25 PM

On the tv show Japanorama (youtube) Jonathan Ross states there are cafe's/bars in Japan where women who don't feel confident talking to men, can go and have dinner with women dressed as men to build up their confidence and social skills. All those "men" had drawn on facial hair so it can't be that bad?

If you think about it, business men in western culture get frowned upon for not having a shave. My boss gives me dirty looks if i have a bit of stubble!

Saying that, if i dont shave for more than 2 days I become a monkey..

I'm working on the source for my first paragraph, ill edit it in here later.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 01:54 PM

well I have a beard, if they don't like it... they can do 1. Cos it's not going anywhere.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Obviously it does come down to personal preference... But I would say the view of a beard as "dirty" is true. That doesn`t necessarily mean it`s a bad thing, as some people prefer "dirty". But it doesn`t make you look like you`re successful, as companies tend not to like facial hair.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Obviously it does come down to personal preference... But I would say the view of a beard as "dirty" is true. That doesn`t necessarily mean it`s a bad thing, as some people prefer "dirty". But it doesn`t make you look like you`re successful, as companies tend not to like facial hair.
My beard is neat and well kept, it does not have stubble and I comb it regularly. I am British and I was born in the UK, but my family is from a south asian background. In our culture, a beard symbolizes integrity and honesty.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouichisan View Post
In our culture, a beard symbolizes integrity and honesty.
I like that. gives me a sense of.. security?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Fooflowers (Offline)
ETiD

Send a message via MSN to Fooflowers Send a message via Skype™ to Fooflowers
01-05-2009, 02:38 PM

i tend to rock the homeless look alot, i dont intend on changing anytime soon untill ppl either A) run away screaming or B)start throwing change at my feet

its down to personal preference EVERYWHERE, girls(& guys) are all diferent, sure "companies" might not like it but thats a whole different story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin
But it doesn`t make you look like you`re successful
some of the richest ppl on the planet have beards, steve jobs, dave grohl, george clooney, bradd pitt has had some crazy beards, so i dont see how thats the general view on beards

/shoot to thrill
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooflowers View Post
[color="Black"]some of the richest ppl on the planet have beards, steve jobs, dave grohl, george clooney, bradd pitt has had some crazy beards, so i dont see how thats the general view on beards
But we`re not talking about the world. We`re talking about Japan. Everything leans toward being clean shaved as reflecting on you as properly managing your life and self. Of course there are exceptions, but the general image is more favorable toward being clean faced.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 01-05-2009 at 04:18 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
But we`re not talking about the world. We`re talking about Japan. Everything leans toward being clean shaved as reflecting on you as properly managing your life and self. Of course there are exceptions, but the general image is more favorable toward being clean faced.
That's for sure. I don't know the statistics but I'd estimate that only 1% of the guys I saw in Japan had facial hair.

Perhaps it's acceptable on western men but being of Japanese descent, I definitely made sure I was clean shaven before I stepped outside.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
HIalchemist (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2009, 09:14 PM

It doesn't really matter many people in Okinawa old & young adults had facial hair, and they we respected. Although some do think of at as dirty. I didnt.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIalchemist View Post
It doesn't really matter many people in Okinawa old & young adults had facial hair, and they we respected. Although some do think of at as dirty. I didnt.
Okinawan people have different attitudes about a lot of things compared to the rest of Japan.