JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   Thoughts about Kanji tattoos? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/23181-thoughts-about-kanji-tattoos.html)

alanX 02-15-2009 07:38 AM

Thoughts about Kanji tattoos?

I think if you speak Japanese, they're okay. But if you want to get one "just because you think it looks cool" then you're an idiot.

Thoughts?

Miyavifan 02-15-2009 07:51 AM

I agree with the part of getting one just cause of thinking it looks cool.

I don't actually speak Japanese, but I think it's ok to get a Kanji tattoo, so long as I know what it means, and has personal meaning.
so, I apply that to others as well.

alanX 02-15-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyavifan (Post 675347)
I agree with the part of getting one just cause of thinking it looks cool.

I don't actually speak Japanese, but I think it's ok to get a Kanji tattoo, so long as I know what it means, and has personal meaning.
so, I apply that to others as well.

I understand what you're saying. I just kind of think of it as an abuse of the language. Same thing with any non-roman characterized language.

Tsuwabuki 02-15-2009 08:03 AM

I think tattoos are bad ideas no matter what they are.

Until I can promise myself that tattoo will be something I will still want at 90, let alone, 30, then I will not get one.

Ningyou 02-15-2009 08:06 AM

I second what Miyavifan said. I don't think that getting a Kanji tattoo is bad as long as you actually know what it means and it's something special for you or signifies something for you. But just getting one to have one is a bit silly. I personally want tattoos in Japanese but that's just because I'm really into Japan and it would mean something to me. But that's just me :]

Miyavifan 02-15-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 675348)
I understand what you're saying. I just kind of think of it as an abuse of the language. Same thing with any non-roman characterized language.

I just can't say I agree. But I respect your feelings about it. :)

@ Ningyou

I just feel like thanking you.

I've thought about it off and on.. of one I'd like to get... on the back of my neck.

Ningyou 02-15-2009 08:45 AM

Oooh! I've thought of one there too. Well, almost. I've thought about getting one in between my shoulder blades :]

What do you want to get?

Miyavifan 02-15-2009 09:01 AM

Wicked.

Kyo's name...

I've thought of a butterfly to go with it.
But I can't decide if I want it there, or on my hip, near the bone area, on the left.

What would you get?

noodle 02-15-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 675341)
I think if you speak Japanese, they're okay. But if you want to get one "just because you think it looks cool" then you're an idiot.

Thoughts?

Wow... You think someone is an idiot simply because they want to have Chinese Chars tattooed on their body? No offense to you, but if I ever met someone that truely believed that, then I'd be obliged to think they're the idiot.

I haven't got any tattoos and I don't think I ever will, but I also don't care if others get tattoos for whatever reason. If "because it's cool" is a good enough reason for them, then so be it, it's their life and body. If you believe it's a mistake later on, then so what, you learn from your mistakes, and luckily in most cases, tattooes aren't life threatening. So it's not really a HUGE mistake!

Hatredcopter 02-15-2009 09:47 AM

It's silly regardless of whether or not you know Japanese/Chinese. They're the most cliched tattoo you can get. Often-times, kanji tattoos that may look or seem cool to a westerner will look rather silly to a native speaker of Japanese/Chinese. People treat kanji as if it's some cool, mystical language that no one understands - it's just a silly trend - and kanji is just an alphabet. Do yourself a favor and get some real artwork done if you want a tattoo.

Hanzi Smatter 一知半解 <-- go there and see the terrible mistakes people have made getting kanji tattoos.