JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sanoga (Offline)
New to JF

Where to find cute Japanese things in New York? - 05-11-2009, 02:16 AM

I am going to New York in the summer and I want to find some cute Japanese knick-knacks. Not just the typical Hello Kitty *O-M-G-kawaii-desu* stuff.

On my last trip I went to the Elizabeth Street Mall but didn't get much of a chance to shop -- I was literally dragged past glowing displays of Rement and cell phone charms. I'm definitely hitting that place again, but where else can I go?

I know this is a tiny bit out of place, but I'm not really big into internet forums so I'm not sure where else to ask. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I am so grateful!

Also, is Flushing Mall any good? I know it is a Chinese mall, but I heard they have a purikura booth inside, as well as Japanese shops. Has anyone been there?

Last edited by sanoga : 05-11-2009 at 02:22 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TokyoKawaiiEtc (Offline)
New to JF

This is not in NY but... - 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Hi, this is my first participation to this forum. Actually my first forum experience, as well.
I don't know the answer to your question, but if you like cute charms and other cute stuff, but not as typical as Hello Kitty, what about checking out the following online shop?

Strapya World : Japanese Cell Phone Straps, Kawaii Charms and Otaku Gadget

They have cute stuff and you can shop from home.
It's a Japanese company exporting goods from Japan.

I like cute (kawaii) things, too.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
CyberPunkKitty (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to CyberPunkKitty Send a message via MSN to CyberPunkKitty
05-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Hey, well, i'm from that area, and you pretty much got it covered. Elizebeth Center is a def, and Flushing Mall, its on Main St. in flushing. Its great but the only problem is that usualy they don't speak english so it'd be wise to have a translator. ^_^;; and there's Queens Crossing which more Korean. I recomend Magic Castle, its Korean but it has some of the cutest things. And of course there's Canal street in Manhattan. There, you can just go wild. Try going down Mott street and that surrounding area, they have some tiny shops that are wicked awesome. The purikura booth is near Northern Blvd in flushing and its called Toto's but bring some extra cash cuz its purty pricing. Also in manhattan on 10th ave and West 49th Street. tis a giant Japanese bookstore with tons of friggin stuff in it. So yeah, tis good. Hope thi helped!

~Come on, live a little, breath a little, feel a little more..~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DJnohara (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Kinokuniya is a great place to fine a lot of Japan realted things in NYC!