JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
vanessaharris (Offline)
New to JF

Chie Imai Not Furry Friendly - 06-02-2009, 03:41 AM

I’m a big fan of eco-friendly fashion so when I saw that Japanese designer Chie Imai was making a range called Eco-Harmony I got pretty excited. But unfortunately Chie got it very wrong with this collection! She has used real chinchilla and mink fur to line her boleros, which is totally not eco-friendly, and definitely not animal friendly! I came across a website that shows how animals are killed for the fur trade http://action.petaasiapacific.com/ea...chpr~c=papcipr and it’s not pretty… It seems that PETA has done an investigation that shows some animals are even skinned alive. Fur is not glamorous or cool and definitely not in harmony with the Earth!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-02-2009, 08:10 AM

It's always good to see people doing things to stop the barbaric cruelty and slaughter of animals.

Letter sent!

Cheers - Oz
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

06-02-2009, 08:56 AM

I know, it is horrible.

It is not uncommon to see animals skinned alive (for meat) and sold whilst still gasping for air in Thailand. I don't go to poor Thai markets anymore, I get in fights with the monkeys, just don't want to get kicked out of Thailand for animal cruelty... LOL

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#4 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

06-02-2009, 10:45 AM

don't agree with animal fur, but
Don't flood this board with PETA posts. =)

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AyaLOVE (Offline)
New to JF

11-26-2010, 08:14 PM

I always wear faux fur, but I believe those PETA people go too far. If people want to wear real fur, then let them. You can't shove your beliefs down everyone's throat.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

11-26-2010, 08:34 PM

yes. support PETA you nut jobs!
lets join them and become arsenics! lets set on fire labs where humans test all kinds of things since it is what PETA does!
did you know that PETA is also responsible for animal slaughter? i think it was some 2 000 dogs they had killed.

so join me! lets set free all the animals and let them rampage on our streets biting off faces from your kids and spreading diseases !

WUUHU! go PETA
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessaharris View Post
I’m a big fan of eco-friendly fashion so when I saw that Japanese designer Chie Imai was making a range called Eco-Harmony I got pretty excited. But unfortunately Chie got it very wrong with this collection! She has used real chinchilla and mink fur to line her boleros, which is totally not eco-friendly, and definitely not animal friendly! I came across a website that shows how animals are killed for the fur trade PETA Asia Pacific and it’s not pretty… It seems that PETA has done an investigation that shows some animals are even skinned alive. Fur is not glamorous or cool and definitely not in harmony with the Earth!

I saw a programme a few years ago that horrified me. skinning cats and dogs alive-- putting all the animals in small cages and not caring how they handle the cages.

This was in China-- which makes me so angry that we do so much trade with that country whilst it continues to treat animals like that.

No doubt it goes on elsewhere too-- I saw something about the way Phillipinos hang animals up by their twisting their legs around their necks.

If these creatures could actually speak surely it would have to stop.

There is way too much cruelty to animals in this world.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-26-2010, 09:24 PM

That video is absolutely horrible! Even growing up in a third world country where people do about anything for money, I never saw anything that wrong!

Chie touts her designs as causing no pollution and says that fur "returns to the earth." But fur garments are treated with a cocktail of chemicals to keep them from decomposing, making fur a product that is definitely not biodegradable, not to mention the waste produced in the farming and treating process. The amount of energy needed to produce a real fur coat is approximately 15 to 20 times greater than that needed to produce a stylish faux alternative.

This paragraph however is wrong on so many levels... You DON'T need to use a cocktail of chemicals to keep fur from decomposing. Civilisations all over the world have used fur from animals for centuries without a single drop of chemical. In Algeria, when we kill Sheep, we keep their fur!

I think it should have been more specific. Maybe it's true for fur farms, where animals are bred for the sole reason of killing them for their fur. But if animals are bred for consumption, then used the fur for fashion, I see that as pretty green. Getting rid of the fur itself takes energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
This was in China-- which makes me so angry that we do so much trade with that country whilst it continues to treat animals like that.
I love how people ruin a valid point by mixing in a bit of hate of a country/people. What the heck do you expect China as a whole to do about this kinda thing? It has a lot more serious problems which take priority to taking away some poor idiots only way of making money (before someone goes nuts on me, I'm not justifying these actions)! Just because England has already gone through the development stage, it doesn't make you all high and mighty. Your ancestors done the same things and probably worse!
Now if this kinda thing was happening in France, or Germany or another developed country, it'd be understandable if you say something like this! But it's not the case! Most people in China are still below the poverty line!

Last edited by noodle : 11-26-2010 at 09:32 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyaLOVE View Post
I always wear faux fur, but I believe those PETA people go too far. If people want to wear real fur, then let them. You can't shove your beliefs down everyone's throat.
well we wear leather we eat meat-- but there should always be care in how the animals are treated and slaughtered. We know that does not always happen either. Poor cattle and sheep collected and put into trucks often for long journeys abroad before the terrifying procedure of slaughter.

Human vanity-- how would we like to be skinned alive? Kept in laborotories,

" Oh I love fur so I don't care one iota how I get it or how animals are slaughtered to satisfy my vanity." That attitude riles me. selfish human beings.

Factory farming, experiments on animals, confinement and so on.

we humans should be ashamed.

If it happened in front of our eyes maybe we would be more caring for these creatures who cannot speak for themselves.

sheep have wool not fur-- and they are sheared so do not have to be killed to obtain that wool
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-26-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
yes. support PETA you nut jobs!
lets join them and become arsenics! lets set on fire labs where humans test all kinds of things since it is what PETA does!
did you know that PETA is also responsible for animal slaughter? i think it was some 2 000 dogs they had killed.

so join me! lets set free all the animals and let them rampage on our streets biting off faces from your kids and spreading diseases !

WUUHU! go PETA
do tell me about PETA. do they go too far?