(#1 (permalink))
Old
ichinikki (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to ichinikki
How to make a $5.38 yukata and a $3.00 obi - 10-08-2009, 03:41 AM

*i give you permission to scroll down really fast to see the pretty pictures*

The story:
We went to walmart, and i plundered into the cheap fabric which is usually about $1.50. I found a roll of about 3 1/2 yards of a blue fabric that i liked. The blue is cotton and the yellow I bought later(for $3.00) is polyester. It added up to $5.38 + tax.

Because i had a very small amount of fabric, I cut out a paper layout to make sure everything would add up. The scale was 1 foot=1 inch.

i WANTED big sleeves, so i had to cut the body length short, which i think makes it look cute(always wear tights or something underneath!)

The first picture is the lengths I cut out The body cloth is on the bottom left. the sleeves are top right and bottom left. the obi material is top right(yellow material.)

I cut and hand-sewed the main body first(I hand sewed the entire thing because I cannot afford a sewing machine) you can see the main body in the second and third picture below.

3.jpg

Then came the sleeves. That was the hardest part. i literally had to sew them on flipped inside out, so the shoulder seam wouldn't show. Even if I had taken a picture, it would have been hard to understand. If anyone's really interested, I can draw what i did.

I used a long strip (6 inches) folded over twice, so the collar is about 1 1/2 inches. Sewing all this takes FOREVER. i did it while studying for art history.

the obi is a simple long rectangle with holes at one end so a string can go through and be tied to the rest of the obi that is already wrapped around the body. or safety pins are always very good.

the bow is again simple rings of cloth. again, i can draw it for anyone who wants to know.

in the end, i was depressed after bombing a biology mid-term, so i finished the last details in one fell swoop. The bow is lower than I'd like it, so i'm going to fix that.
i finished it a day ago and i hope you like it!

01.jpg

2.jpg

now to make shoes...

ichinikki, one diary
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ichinikki (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to ichinikki
10-08-2009, 03:49 AM

by the way, i started it on the 9th of september, and finished the 6th of october, so it took about a month(I AM A COLLEGE STUDENT-FINDING TIME FOR SLEEP IS AMAZING.) anyway, it was worth it... now to wear it to class...

ichinikki, one diary
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Mortry (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2009, 05:21 AM

lol, you should post a picture of the receipt you got when you bought the fabric
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kushaba (Offline)
JF Regular

10-08-2009, 07:20 AM

Very nice! i would love to make a dark red Yukata for formal days and Scientology Raids with my fellow Annons. XD