JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   Serious Help! My Hair is Hard 2 Mess With! T-T (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/29056-serious-help-my-hair-hard-2-mess-t-t.html)

Zenzen 12-01-2009 04:09 PM

Serious Help! My Hair is Hard 2 Mess With! T-T

Yeah. I have dreadlocks, but I love street fashion. I try to buy wigs mostly, but the wigs around here expensive and most aren't VK/Decora/OK/KK material and trying to find good hairspray for dreads is like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack: near impossible to do and very painful. What should I do?

Salvanas 12-01-2009 04:14 PM

You won't be able to do anything with dreadlocks. Keep it as it is, or shave it off and let your hair grow again.

Mortry 12-01-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 786057)
You won't be able to do anything with dreadlocks. Keep it as it is, or shave it off and let your hair grow again.

Haha, the hard truth:p

MilKyXxdreamXx 12-02-2009 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenzen (Post 786056)
Yeah. I have dreadlocks, but I love street fashion. I try to buy wigs mostly, but the wigs around here expensive and most aren't VK/Decora/OK/KK material and trying to find good hairspray for dreads is like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack: near impossible to do and very painful. What should I do?

couldn't you straighten it in the salon?

while having dreadlocks you can try street fashion it by cutting your hair short (if it isn't already) and tie it up (almost like a snappy braid) to style it. i find it nice for most people.

Zenzen 12-02-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 786057)

Well...I can't just cut it off. It's a part of one of my six heritages.....

smbx33 12-02-2009 06:08 PM

get ready for ur arms to fall off...

YouTube - SO YOU CAN TAKE OUT DREADLOCKS?

The easiest way to remove dreads is to soak
them in a really good professional conditioner.
This way you can attempt to comb them out .
Try to get the conditioner into the body of the dread
to the inside and work your way toward the roots.

If you wish to keep your long hair be sure
to cut off only a little of the dreads.

If you don't mind short hair cut half the dread away
before you begin the conditioning process.

If this fails you may have to cut closer to the roots.
If you are unsure ask a professional stylist
especially one who is familiar with dreadlocks.

Salvanas 12-02-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenzen (Post 786302)

When you say heritage, do you mean a Rastafarian background? Or just a cultural thing?

Either way, if you want a VK haircut, you're not going to be able to do anything with dreadlocks. My statement still stands. Dreadlocks and the style you're trying to do are completely opposite. Choose one or the other.

Cakes 12-06-2009 06:44 PM

I've got to agree with Salvanas. The two don't really reconcile. I'd tend to say, either dreads or VK.

On the other hand, I've definitely seen some VK artists do cool things with dreads. I'm afraid I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. Those I saw, though, were only with nagoya kei as a rule, or at the least very grungy kinds of looks.

Then again, you could create a whole interesting new look with decora dreads! Could weave beads around them or something. ^^''

What kinds of dreads are they? Big thick long ones or little thinner ones? Bleached or dyed in any way?

darksyndrem 12-06-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenzen (Post 786302)

In this case, you're just stuck with dreads =/
But either way, JF is not the place to find advice about dreads.

Zenzen 12-08-2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbx33 (Post 786326)
get ready for ur arms to fall off...

YouTube - SO YOU CAN TAKE OUT DREADLOCKS?

The easiest way to remove dreads is to soak
them in a really good professional conditioner.
This way you can attempt to comb them out .
Try to get the conditioner into the body of the dread
to the inside and work your way toward the roots.

If you wish to keep your long hair be sure
to cut off only a little of the dreads.

If you don't mind short hair cut half the dread away
before you begin the conditioning process.

If this fails you may have to cut closer to the roots.
If you are unsure ask a professional stylist
especially one who is familiar with dreadlocks.

yeah....ouch........I don't get mine professionally done, I've had them for 16 years.

Zenzen 12-08-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes (Post 787014)
I've got to agree with Salvanas. The two don't really reconcile. I'd tend to say, either dreads or VK.

On the other hand, I've definitely seen some VK artists do cool things with dreads. I'm afraid I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. Those I saw, though, were only with nagoya kei as a rule, or at the least very grungy kinds of looks.

Then again, you could create a whole interesting new look with decora dreads! Could weave beads around them or something. ^^''

What kinds of dreads are they? Big thick long ones or little thinner ones? Bleached or dyed in any way?

I dyed light brown them while trying to dye it blue (epic fail....LOL). But my dreads are mid (leaning more towards the thinner part, but still semi-thick)

Zenzen 12-08-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 786340)

When you say heritage, do you mean a Rastafarian background? Or just a cultural thing?

Either way, if you want a VK haircut, you're not going to be able to do anything with dreadlocks. My statement still stands. Dreadlocks and the style you're trying to do are completely opposite. Choose one or the other.

My dad's a rasta and I have Jamacian in myself. Plus, having known only having dreads since you were a kid doesn't help in knowing what to do with it while ur still living under ur mom's roof at16....

Zenzen 12-08-2009 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksyndrem (Post 787018)

ah k. Just trying to find how to do Harajuku fashions with my hair type is all.

Eureka77 12-09-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortry (Post 786123)
Haha, the hard truth:p

(The truth always hurts.) :(

Good luck. :)

Cakes 12-10-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenzen (Post 787272)
I dyed light brown them while trying to dye it blue (epic fail....LOL). But my dreads are mid (leaning more towards the thinner part, but still semi-thick)

Could try for a monochromatic kind of look? Light brown's not too bad for that, being such a neutral colour.

Maybe dress them up with some sophisticated EGA and give a new spin to it? I can imagine how a creepy-gothic-Victorian look could work with it, especially if they're fairly short, shoulder-length or so. I know it's not what you were thinking of, but I can't really think how to work dreads and decora. D:

Salvanas 12-10-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes (Post 788031)
Could try for a monochromatic kind of look? Light brown's not too bad for that, being such a neutral colour.

Maybe dress them up with some sophisticated EGA and give a new spin to it? I can imagine how a creepy-gothic-Victorian look could work with it, especially if they're fairly short, shoulder-length or so. I know it's not what you were thinking of, but I can't really think how to work dreads and decora. D:

Actually, that brought up images of a person in a long Gothic, Victorian dress, with dreadlocks. It COULD work.

However, if you can't get it to work, don't fret on it.

A question, could you post a picture of your dreadlocks and your face, so we can see what it looks like?

NanteNa 12-12-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksyndrem (Post 787018)

He/she could always just chop it off and start over with a new style.

How could it not be? I'd say this forum is pretty open-minded and I think that a lot of the alternatives that are on here would relate well to dreads. (I used to consider getting dreads.. but that's a whole different story, lol)

ozkai 12-12-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenzen (Post 786056)

Crikey mate!

Go and take yourself to get a haircut..

Zenzen 12-13-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka77 (Post 787658)
(The truth always hurts.) :(

Good luck. :)

thank you....

Zenzen 12-13-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes (Post 788031)

Kay. Thank you!

Zenzen 12-13-2009 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 788033)

Actually, that brought up images of a person in a long Gothic, Victorian dress, with dreadlocks. It COULD work.

However, if you can't get it to work, don't fret on it.

A question, could you post a picture of your dreadlocks and your face, so we can see what it looks like?

Kay. Give me some time

Zenzen 12-13-2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanteNa (Post 788630)
He/she could always just chop it off and start over with a new style.

How could it not be? I'd say this forum is pretty open-minded and I think that a lot of the alternatives that are on here would relate well to dreads. (I used to consider getting dreads.. but that's a whole different story, lol)

LOL Thank you.

Zenzen 12-18-2009 05:39 PM

Here it is on my birthday.

Cakes 12-18-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenzen (Post 790645)
Here it is on my birthday.

Awww, sweetheart, you look really cute in that outfit! (Aren't face-masks fun?) Actually, that kind of style doesn't look bad with your hair, though I can imagine it'd be hard to go really all-out decora or to do something very different with it.

I think you could do almost any style you wanted! Possibly the trick might be, rather than trying to mess with the hair itself, trying instead to make it interesting by accessorising it with unusual little trinkets that matched your style on the day. That would be easier, and just as effective.

Your dreads probably have the advantage of being quite easy to fix things like corsages in-- I'd recommend trying to make intriguing contrasts of texture and/or colour between your hair and the things you wear in it, and balancing them in a pleasing manner, rather than looking to overwhelm it.

Sadly I don't honestly think the million-clips look would work, now I can see what your hair looks like. It could all too easily become an imbalance of texture, too-small pieces of contrast amongst the detailed texture of the dreads. Perhaps a medium-sized mini top hat or some such would look nice? Not a really little one, but still the kind of size that would fit on a tie-on ribbon or a few clips. Or perhaps a cute pastel-coloured rose corsage? There's masses of things like that on eBay, especially if you're willing to decorate plain bases.

Would you be interested in the kinds of aristo or Victorian looks that might suit you overall?

Zenzen 12-20-2009 04:24 AM

Yes. Very much thank you! *^-^* Also, yay! A nice person that didn't shoot me down!

Zenzen 12-22-2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshAussie (Post 790805)
Zenzen your dreads are fucking sweet, keep them!!!!!

LOL. Thank you!

Zenzen 12-27-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshAussie (Post 791116)
Did you see her picture? They are sexy, she should definitely keep them.

^-^ thanks you

IamKira 12-27-2009 08:44 AM

why do people get their hair done in ugly and oily styles as dread locks?

Salvanas 12-27-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamKira (Post 791721)

Cause if done right, they look awesome.

darksyndrem 12-27-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamKira (Post 791721)

Dread locks aren't necessarily oily =/

Nota 12-27-2009 08:15 PM

But they are ugly. ugh. I hate them.

BlackGreenTea 12-29-2009 01:32 AM

Ignore the people who obviously know nothing about dreads and are calling them oily and ugly. Your dreads are absolutely gorgeous! Keep rocking your heritage!
I've seen a lot of decora-style people dye the locks in different colors and pull them back in different ways. I also agree with the idea of an add-on here and there. Little bows are pretty easy to come by, and way cute.

PockyMePink 12-29-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nota (Post 791797)

Good thing you don't have them, then, cause that'd be a real problem ;)

Zenzen 01-04-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nota (Post 791797)

If u do, then u don't kno. Please don't be ignorant about one's heritage as it gets very offensive. So, if u don't like it don't post flamer comments. thank you.