JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shiyuu (Offline)
New to JF

Lolita Age Limit? - 12-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Hi! I'm new to JF, obviously...But I decided to join, and this shall be my first question to you, er, veterans out there.
^-^;

I'm fourteen now, and I am thinking of working my way into the Lolita fashion by the time I'm sixteen. Would that be a good time to start, or is it too early...?
And, as I was contemplating my decisions, I started thinking: is there an age when one should stop being involved in the lolita lifestyle/fashion? I imagine that there aren't 50-year old lolita men/women bouncing around.
So, is there an age cap? Thirty? Fourty? Just curious, is all~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
12-28-2009, 11:31 PM

I don't see why there would be any time that you *should* start lolita? How about...now? And I kind of doubt you'll want to dress lolita at thirty/fourty. I would assume it'd be like the generation before mine, wanting to still dress like hair bands (poison kind of thing), or wear elephants. You'll probably think it looks ridiculous when you're fourty.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-28-2009, 11:33 PM

I don't think there is a right or wrong time to start or stop.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-29-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't think there is a right or wrong time to start or stop.
I disagree.

The wrong time to "start" is when you choose to start.

Why do you want to dress a certain way, anyway? Aside the way you already dress, of course.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#5 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-29-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
I disagree.

The wrong time to "start" is when you choose to start.

Why do you want to dress a certain way, anyway? Aside the way you already dress, of course.
Isn't the way one already dresses a certain way to dress?

Some people have an interest in fashion and expression. You may not have a problem with wearing three dollar shirts from WalMart every single day, but not everyone is as careless with this type of expression as you seem to be.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sakamae (Offline)
JF Regular

12-29-2009, 06:57 AM

Frist things frist Ignore those who try to discouage you. & do what you want to do falow your heart. I bet your really good at.

I Like You... When The World is Mine, Your Death Shall Be Quick And Painless.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-29-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
Isn't the way one already dresses a certain way to dress?

Some people have an interest in fashion and expression. You may not have a problem with wearing three dollar shirts from WalMart every single day, but not everyone is as careless with this type of expression as you seem to be.
Yes, it's all about "me".

"What outfit expresses who I am best? Me, as an individual."

Fuck me...

I like my clothes. They came naturally to me. I just seemed to acquire them over time. It does not mean they were cheap or poorly made.

But then, is someone who views a fashion and believes it represents them, are they really correct? Or are they a try-hard?

Fashion (or, style, as I'd put it) is an acknowledgement of self, not an attempt at something else. An attempt at something else, however, is pure self obsession and arrogance.

To ask the appropriations of wearing certain dresses clearly states you're not the one to wear them. A self assured individual already knows these things, and never has to try determindly...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…

Last edited by Tenchu : 12-29-2009 at 10:14 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakamae View Post
Frist things frist Ignore those who try to discouage you. & do what you want to do falow your heart.
That's just the problem; is it the inner-self commanding this individual, or external influences?

Yes, follow your heart, not others.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-29-2009, 10:16 AM

You certainly find interesting venues to choose your battles, Tenchu.

Obviously a young girl this age is still finding herself and finding how she wants to express herself, so there is nothing wrong with the question she is asking.

You are taking it to a completely different philosophical level, which has its place, but don't disparage the OP for asking the question.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiyuu View Post
Hi! I'm new to JF, obviously...But I decided to join, and this shall be my first question to you, er, veterans out there.

^-^;

I'm fourteen now, and I am thinking of working my way into the Lolita fashion by the time I'm sixteen. Would that be a good time to start, or is it too early...?
And, as I was contemplating my decisions, I started thinking: is there an age when one should stop being involved in the lolita lifestyle/fashion? I imagine that there aren't 50-year old lolita men/women bouncing around.

So, is there an age cap? Thirty? Fourty? Just curious, is all~
14 seems like a good time for experimentation. It not like you have a career to worry about yet or a fiance/husband to judge you. Parents are often afflicted by the choices in attire of their teenage offspring, so that's a given.

And working your way into a style, whether for fun or some sort of personal statement is a good way to manage the expenditures, and more importantly adapt the style to your own specific personality and preferences. Being a total copy of something in a picture is less creative and expressive than assembling a look piece by piece as you find what you like.

As for too old - now that hits home here. On one hand, yes, there is a point where you are too old for some styles - especially something like Lolita that specifically references an age range that you obviously don't fit at 50 (or more LOL). On the other, if it is just for fun and it is in a controlled environment (less judgemental than public), it can't hurt if you want to try an pull it off. In my case, it would probably look like some horror flick if I were to dress up a la Lolita. But lace, ruffles, and flounce didn't look well on me at age 8 either. I used to wear lots of leather and PVC, but these days I can't carry off the look quite the same. Its a matter of taste and good judgement. So I wear it at events and parties where others my age do also, but I don't go to bars dressed that way anymore. It would look ridiculous.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.