JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
clarke88 (Offline)
New to JF

Dissertation Questions - Your opinion! - 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM

I am a third year textile design student attending the University of Leeds writing a dissertation on How the Western Fashion Industry has Influenced Japanese Trends and Consumers Attitudes Towards Fashion.

It would be very much appreciated if you could take time to fill out this questionnaire. All answers will be confidential and will only be used for my dissertation. Thank you very much.

1. Where does your inspiration come from when putting an outfit together?
2. Why do you dress in Japanese street fashion? Does it express your personality/identity?
3. How long does it take you to put an outfit together?
4. Do other cultures such as the Western culture influence your fashion?
4. Is it important to keep Japanese culture and traditional costume within your designs?
5. In your opinion do you think Japanese fashion is becoming more westernised?
6. Is the internet influencing Japanese fashion?
7. Where do you see Japanese fashion going in the future? Do you think the traditional garments such as the kimono will no longer be made?

Thank you very much for your time
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-25-2010, 11:40 PM

1) Is it sartorial? Bold without being garish? If yes, I wear it. If not, I tone it down.
2) I don't dress in Japanese street fashion, by the definition westerners have of it. I do dress in Japanese labels and walk on Japanese streets. I photograph Japanese street fashion.
3) This depends on entirely too many factors. However long it takes to meet 1) for a given situation.
4-b) No, but given my location, I do not think I have much choice in being influenced by fashion in Japan.
4-a) I gain inspiration everywhere. National Geographic is inspirational.
5) That ship sailed in the Meiji era. The vast majority of Japanese clothing, and I mean pretty much all of it, flows directly from Western styles. Perhaps with Japanese accents, but a two button suit or skirt or jeans- they are Western pieces.
6) Yes. The Internet is influencing global fashion; see Tavi Gevinson.
7) This is two questions. I see Japanese fashion as continuing to take Western fashion and reconstructing it. Changing up the combinations or using Japanese prints and fabrics with Western cuts. As for traditional kimono, yukata, happi, etc, we will never see that disappear. To many holidays and special occasions call for those garments.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#3 (permalink))
Old
umeshuuu (Offline)
JF Regular

02-11-2010, 02:42 AM

1. Where does your inspiration come from when putting an outfit together?
> Often it's from photos I've seen on fashion websites. I love cute fashion in the style of Japanese and Korean girly fashion (Think AsiaJam.com) and whenever I see cute photos of the clothes and outfits on websites I get inspired to create something similar with my own clothes. And in fashion magazines of course, both UK and Japanese (but mostly Japanese). Also, I get inspiration from people I see in the street when I'm walking around both in the UK and Japan. And occasionally somewhat from outfits worn by Jpop artists I like, or from anime, although not much so nowadays.

2. Why do you dress in Japanese street fashion? Does it express your personality/identity?
Definitely. It expresses the things that I love- cute things, geeky things, and being girly. Lots of things I love come from Japan and so I like to dress in clothes from Japan or in Japanese style to show my interest to others.

3. How long does it take you to put an outfit together?
It depends on whether I'm in a rush or not. Usually about 10 minutes, although if I'm in the mood to create a new outfit at a random time of day, maybe more.

4. Do other cultures such as the Western culture influence your fashion?
Yes, I'm open to fashion from all cultures. If I find some aspect of fashion in the UK that I like then I'll incorporate that into my outfits as well.

4. Is it important to keep Japanese culture and traditional costume within your designs?
No, I tend to pick and choose what I like and mix and match with British/Western fashion as well.

5. In your opinion do you think Japanese fashion is becoming more westernised?
I think most areas of Japanese fashion have been copied from the West in their essence but then have evolved into something more Japanese. But I think definitely there's a strong Western influence in Japan as there always is, the fact is that Japanese people generally see the West as being very "cool" and fashion reflects this for the most part. I don't think it's becoming MORE westernised necessarily though, it's same as always.

6. Is the internet influencing Japanese fashion?
I'm not too sure about this, but there must surely be some influence because information about all kinds of fashion from anywhere which can inspire and influence designers is so readily available to everyone now. It must be having some kind of effect.

7. Where do you see Japanese fashion going in the future? Do you think the traditional garments such as the kimono will no longer be made?
The kimono will continue to be made I'm quite sure. As for how often and when it is worn, that might change with the generations, but actually, go to any traditional Japanese festival or cultural event and a surprising number of youth excitedly wear traditional dress. I think traditional clothes will always have their place, even though that place may be ever changing.

Hope this helps! Just my opinions of course, I'm not exactly well-read on the subject. XD

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
I'm Lisa! Nice to meetcha