JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jwear (Offline)
New to JF

Jwear Seeking Translator and meeting reserver. - 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

The postition is filled, thank you very much for all the replys.

Last edited by Jwear : 02-17-2010 at 10:45 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-28-2010, 12:54 PM

An interpreter is not a hobby, but a professional job.

A professional business does not solicit a $100 an hour job for free.

The only people who would accept this offer are not qualified to do it.

If you are planning a business trip to Japan to meet with suppliers and do not speak Japanese, then you need to budget in the cost of professional interpretation.

Just as you don't give away the clothes you sell, and interpreter does not give away the years spent studying to reach that level of expertise.

Please replan your trip accordingly.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jwear (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2010, 09:54 PM

Photographer, models and interns from different jobs do not get any fees at first job, thus this is an apportunity to show theyre skills.

Our budget is limited at the moment and thus cannot spare any money up front. You have to see this through our situation, what would you do?

In any case this is the way it works in europe, how does the cutsoms in japan work, are they differnet? We are necesserly not looking for any proffesional, if any proffesional stumbles on this and might want to lend a hand its a great opportunity for us and highly appriciated. Also keep in mind the person that takes this offer gets connections in sweden and we will recomend them forward. This is an opportuniy for uppcoming interperters to have their chance to get future jobs.

anyway thank you for youre advice, if our budget makes it possible for a smal fee then conciderd. Thank you very much for replying.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-28-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwear View Post
Photographer, models and interns from different jobs do not get any fees at first job, thus this is an apportunity to show theyre skills.
The difference is that one can monitor their work and choose based upon performance. I very much doubt you would send a new intern out to represent your company - but you would do this with an interpreter?

Your company will only appear to be as good as the person who interprets for you. If they are a poor interpreter, your company will not look good at all and the chances of you acquiring the connections you want in Japan will be very low. An interpreter who is not a professional will become the face of your company - making it look very unprofessional and hurting business.

I am not familiar with customs regarding interpretation in Europe, but in Japan a poor translation will cause problems and do nothing but hurt your chances to find suppliers and make connections. If you want to succeed as a company, I think it is important that you realize this.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 01-29-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: typo
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2010, 12:37 AM

I agree with Nyororin. The voice and face of the company will be the person you hire for interpretation. You say you are not looking for a professional, but you want a native Japanese speaker who is fluent and experienced in business English.

Not only do you want them to interpret your meetings, but you want them to make the contacts and book and schedule the meetings as well? For free? That could take days of phone calls and emails.

I can understand a model or photographer spending a couple hours on a shoot to get experience and meet with potential employers, but do you also not pay the light rental company, studio, craft services, etc? Interpretation does not fall into the same category as photog or model.

The level of person you are looking for is not trying to "break into" the business...he or she is already a pro. You don't want to risk your business on anyone less than a professional, unless you can afford to lose ties with Japanese clothing makers.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I agree with Nyororin. The voice and face of the company will be the person you hire for interpretation. You say you are not looking for a professional, but you want a native Japanese speaker who is fluent and experienced in business English.

Not only do you want them to interpret your meetings, but you want them to make the contacts and book and schedule the meetings as well? For free? That could take days of phone calls and emails.

I can understand a model or photographer spending a couple hours on a shoot to get experience and meet with potential employers, but do you also not pay the light rental company, studio, craft services, etc? Interpretation does not fall into the same category as photog or model.

The level of person you are looking for is not trying to "break into" the business...he or she is already a pro. You don't want to risk your business on anyone less than a professional, unless you can afford to lose ties with Japanese clothing makers.
I totally agree, if you want a pro you are going to have to work it into your budget, no professional is going to waste their time with you working for cookies. But seeing as how you are a new business and taking chances, perhaps you need to lower your standards and take a chance on someone that is trying to break into the profession. They might not be perfect, but beggars can't be choosers, and you sound like beggars right now.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Jwear (Offline)
New to JF

Postition filled - 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM

The postition is filled, thank you very much for all the replys.