JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
adamante (Offline)
New to JF

Chubby Lolita and Visual Kei? - 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM

I have a question, but first I think I need to express clearly that I do not want to bash anyone, nor do I want the replies to contain any bashing ...I just want clean answers and opinions without insulting anyone.

Now, on to my question(s).

It's the same with any fashion - some people look good in a certain item of clothing, others don't. Some people's personality suits a certain style - others look awkward in it. Some people have no awareness of either and they might end up not looking so good.

In this way, it's possible that, for example, a "chubbier" girl (generalized: US size 16 and up, but it also depends on height of course) might look bad in Lolita (any of them; Sweet, Gothic, etc.) fashion, because sometimes ruffles and petticoats can optically add to the width of a person. Does everyone agree with that?

Now, my question is: in the case of a chubby girl that happens to be fashion-conscious, so she knows what looks good on her and what doesn't.. if she makes the right fashion-decisions about how to wear Lolita; as in: chooses a flattering dress in a colour that suits her with shoes that don't make her look dumpy and so on, and basically looks stunning.... <3 Do you think it is a MUST that a Lolita is skinny? Or can chubbyness actually add to the cuteness of the look?

The same goes for Visual Kei ...Gackt, Mana, Miyavi, etc, are all very skinny Asian men, but if you take care to style yourself well, is it possible for you to be Visual Kei if you're a chubby girl? Or do you find it ridiculous?

Or should anyone who loves the Japanese fashion styles at least attempt to lose weight?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by adamante : 07-20-2010 at 02:18 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-20-2010, 02:34 PM

I think a lot of your questions were addressed previously here: Do you think overweight girls or thinner girls...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
adamante (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2010, 02:53 PM

true, true. Maybe the discussion can be continued about Visual Kei in this thread, though, as the other one's mainly about Lolita... and I find that maybe there are actually more problems with VK, because Lolita works with female shape already (some boobs, small waits, froofy bottom) whereas VK is mostly male and androgynous, IE no boobs and no hips. I'd like to know if people also think that this can be made to work for big-ish girls, or not.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
crossline (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

i think you're not striking the perfect tone here. i believe it's not the size that really brings out the fashion, it's how beautiful the person is. let's face it, we wear "fashionable" clothes to look and feel prettier. admit it or not, the pretty girl always wears the crown.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2010, 08:07 AM

In terms of the aesthetic look of the VK style, it really seems to be tailored to look best on thin people. True of 99% of the world's fashion really.

If you can pick out things that work for you and you feel confident wearing it then you should be able to pull it off.

And personally I think there is nothing wrong with losing weight just to be able to fit into and feel good in the clothing you admire. I'm doing that myself right now. Hell, it's good for you and it's much easier to start new health habits, lose weight and rock an awesome look while you are young! And it's not like you have to aim too small. Just aim for one size down and see how you feel!

I've managed to go from an 18 to almost a 12 in the last two years and it really is great. Good luck!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2010, 10:04 AM

I am a size UK16 and still wear some visukei things and other crazy alternative fashions and get told I don't look too bad in them! Gotta dress to your shape though and not squeeze into stuff that doesn't fit.

On that topic I made a post of where to get larger size VK/J-Rock clothes

Japanese Fashion Store List

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
colovegirl (Offline)
New to JF

10-07-2010, 08:50 AM

I think there is no right to deprive of lolita hobby for fat girl.

Enjoy

My

Lolita Blog
(#8 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
10-07-2010, 10:18 AM

eh... besides medical conditions... there really is no reason for anyone to be excessively obese~
there are those out there with larger bone structures and are just naturally fat or gain weight easily.

I've seen a few "fat" people that I could personally call beautiful
and plenty of 'thin' people that are just hideous.

really i think that all people should strive to be 'fit' and not so much thin or fat.

though admittedly, the larger person is aesthetically less pleasing to the eyes than the thin >.>"'

to address the op's question regarding clothing...
for vk and lolita, i don't think 'thin' is the really the appropriate word.
being fit and toned is more attractive to me, personally, than an excessively thin person.

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Natsumi713 (Offline)
New to JF

10-11-2010, 03:15 PM

If larger girls/boys weren't meant to wear it, then they wouldn't make sizes that large. But they do. Even going up as to size 4x! I know it's been said many times already but it's true that if you are comfortable enough with yourself and your body, then wear whatever you want. Most people are too consumed in their own thoughts and lives to really care about what someone else on the street passing by is wearing. Sure they may look at it for a moment, they may even judge you a little either about what it is you're wearing or what you look like to begin with, but they move on! You don't have to look good for anyone but yourself. I know this for a fact. I'm a bigger girl and no one ever says anything about what I wear or the way I look.

Do what feels good.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

10-11-2010, 08:19 PM

It's up to the individual, because there are going to be insults, I'm not going to lie.

If you have thick skin and feel good about your style. Go for it. If not, it can be very very difficult and I wouldn't encourage my friends to do it.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"