JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mab (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese fashion for blacks... - 08-02-2010, 04:59 AM

Tried to use the search function but the word "black" attracts lots of unwanted results.

So, I'm what you americans call brown, or mullato, mulatto, whatever. And am into japanese culture and fashion.
I'm really annoyed with this race issue so I'm gonna ask before making any actions (and wasting money).

First: can a tall, "mulatto" girl pull off a lolita style with some success? I know everything I thing about lolita fashion, but this.
I don't know what to think. Being tall kinda handcaps me, but having a cute enough face to constantly not being able to buy beer because people think I'm not 18 yet (I'm 20) may help. Maybe, lol.

Second: What if a light black goes for the ganguro look? Would it look nice? I mean, having a naturally dark skin and such may help... or not. I don't know if ganguro is supposed to be tanned skin, because on every fanart of "ganguro" girls I search on danbooru, they really have my skin color. So yeah, I got the idea "hey it might work" from danbooru.
I could try, but my hair is relaxed so I have to be sure of my decision because I spent sooo much money growing my hair and I don't want to fuck it up.

Is there any other japanese fashion trend that a "black" could follow?
Browsed the forums a lot, but no word about the issue... I guess japanese fashion is really for whities, eh?

Personal opinions are appreciated.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ayame90 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2010, 05:02 AM

First I can relate, second, what mixture are you?

The pic added goes to the ones whose ideas are in a box, to the ones who don't give respect to the one who doesn't fit in that box, stereotying one as I am. You'll soon learn your mistake in not getting the chance, because of Your Error to get to know as others have gotten to know, love, respect, and appreciate me for who I am and not for what you aim to make me.

あしゅり
のえる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Mab (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2010, 06:54 AM

Mixture? What a strange use of a word. I don't understand exactly what you're asking.
If you're asking about my parents... I'm adopted so I don't know for sure, but probably some asian and some brown.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2010, 06:55 AM

First decide which fashion you really want to wear. If you like one better than the other than that's the one you should go for.

I don't know why you couldn't wear a Lolita look if that is your first choice. I know a girl who is African/Japanese/Indian American and she looks fabulous in Lolita brands. Being tall could be a problem but I have seen employees of Baby the Stars Shine Bright wearing shorter skirts lately, several inches above the knee. I think a number of the shorter ones are from the Alice and The Pirates line. And fluffy boyish looks with short pants can look really good on a tall girl.

The last few times I was in Tokyo I saw some Lolita types but not a single girl I'd call Ganguro.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Mab (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
First decide which fashion you really want to wear. If you like one better than the other than that's the one you should go for.
Lolita is the first choice, but I just wanted to know if that would look too strange since I've never ever found a photo of a non white wearing lolita.
Ganguro's old, but I thought it would suit me better, so I made the thread to clear things up.

Thanks for the answer.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-03-2010, 02:21 AM

I'm no fashionista, so my words count for very little. Artistically speaking, however, I've noticed that dark skin tones go good with vibrant, dynamically bright colors (personally, yellow or cyan/light-blue). That could be something to capitalize on.

If you want a Lolita image, go for it.
But you should probably go for it with relative confidence.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2010, 03:51 PM

I would assume that wearing gothic lolita in the west is going to draw negative attention whatever colour or shape you are. If it is something you want to do, then do it right. Due to your height you will have to pay more to get a custom outfit, the care of the outfit will also cost allot.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Ganguro is probably not going to go over well in most places. It's not looked on that favorably in many places even for whites, but for blacks it may recall the history of "black-faced" whites in theatre with very negative reactions.

If your features are as soft as it sounds, being mulatto shouldn't be hinderance for getting a good Lolita look. It will be rather unique, though. The only black woman I know with an understanding of the style tried going in that direction subtly, but being part Japanese her features were too angular and sharp to look right (and it clashed with her personality).

Be careful with the color choices. What Jaydelart said is often true, but some mulattos have too much of a yellow undertone to their skin to wear some shades yellow well, especially bright ones. Take some fabric scraps and check how the look against your skin in sunlight and indoors before investing in a dress. If there is a color you really like, but doesn't look right, you can usually make it an accent or even have it in much of the fabric as long as it isn't too close to bare skin. There is whole range of yellows and pinks that make me look ill, but I can use them sparingly and away from my face.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Mab (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
I would assume that wearing gothic lolita in the west is going to draw negative attention whatever colour or shape you are. If it is something you want to do, then do it right. Due to your height you will have to pay more to get a custom outfit, the care of the outfit will also cost allot.
Yeah... I'm aware that I'll have to pay a good sewer for my dresses.
But anyway, gothic, punk, emo, whatever tribe you may mention, is very well accepted where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
I'm no fashionista, so my words count for very little. Artistically speaking, however, I've noticed that dark skin tones go good with vibrant, dynamically bright colors (personally, yellow or cyan/light-blue). That could be something to capitalize on.

If you want a Lolita image, go for it.
But you should probably go for it with relative confidence.
Oh, thanks. Never thought of wearing yellow, I thought I'd had to go gothic because it kinda makes you look smaller.
No prob about the confidence... to me it's just clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ganguro is probably not going to go over well in most places. It's not looked on that favorably in many places even for whites, but for blacks it may recall the history of "black-faced" whites in theatre with very negative reactions.

If your features are as soft as it sounds, being mulatto shouldn't be hinderance for getting a good Lolita look. It will be rather unique, though. The only black woman I know with an understanding of the style tried going in that direction subtly, but being part Japanese her features were too angular and sharp to look right (and it clashed with her personality).

Be careful with the color choices. What Jaydelart said is often true, but some mulattos have too much of a yellow undertone to their skin to wear some shades yellow well, especially bright ones. Take some fabric scraps and check how the look against your skin in sunlight and indoors before investing in a dress. If there is a color you really like, but doesn't look right, you can usually make it an accent or even have it in much of the fabric as long as it isn't too close to bare skin. There is whole range of yellows and pinks that make me look ill, but I can use them sparingly and away from my face.
Thanks for the input.

About my body, it worries me. It's all okay, but I have some unwanted shoulder lenght.
I wonder what I can do to "hide" it, if it's an hinderance?

Just to clear something that came up... I always thought that lolita = white dresses and accessories, and gothic lolita = black dresses with red/some other color details.
But by what you guys are saying, it can be of any color... just have to be, well, lolita.

Thanks, look like I knew nothing at all in the end.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
AyaLOVE (Offline)
New to JF

08-05-2010, 10:07 PM

I'm Black (well mostly anyway) and 5'8" and I love to wear vk inspired clothing.

Your skin color shouldn't be a factor in what style you wear. You can still wear lolita and make it suit you. Like other posters said, choose colors that compliment your skin tone and due to being tall you probably will have to go with custom made dresses.

If you really like the Lolita fashion then I say go for it. I've seen girls with skin tones ranging from very pale to dark skinned that pulled the look off extremely well.

As for the ganguro look, I say look into gyaru styles. I know tons of Black girls who wear gyaru styles. Ganguro is kinda outdated fashion of gyaru and not many wear it anymore. The updated version of it would be Manba. I don't know much about gyaru fashion but these sites can help you out:

Different types of gyaru fashion:
The Gyaru Handbook - Styles

Site and forum for those who wear gyaru:
Shibuya 109 at Ricoche.net

Hope this helped and sorry for the uber-long post xD