JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   Kimonos/Furisode/Yukata (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/339-kimonos-furisode-yukata.html)

otakuchin1992 12-15-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 645093)
If you're not Asian, don't buy one. And Yukata are less formal than Kimono

Why shouldn't I buy either if I'm not Asian?

Keaton421 12-15-2008 02:20 AM

Put a white guy's face in here. That's why.

Just looks awful. Western traditional clothes were made to accentuate white girls' features. Same for Eastern ones and asian girls.

noruuxe 02-08-2009 07:13 PM

^^

Love kimonos :yhgirl:
is so kweelihh <6 ^^

nobora 03-28-2009 11:37 PM

Their really pretty!

alanX 03-28-2009 11:41 PM

Makes me realize how "cultureless" America is.

nobora 03-29-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 689642)

i know right. We dont have that many exciting things goin on. No festivals ,food stands, Religious holidays, Nothin >.<

Kenpachi11 03-29-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 689642)

i know! i bet canada is better than us!!

Koir 03-29-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 (Post 689656)

You're welcome, eh?

Kenpachi11 03-29-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 689658)
You're welcome, eh?

ok???? :confused:

alanX 03-29-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 (Post 689656)

Dude.....freaking iraq is better than us. At least they have some sort of interesting history.

America's history: French people went exploring. They found America. Hungout there for a little while. They somehow transformed into pirates and "Olde Englishmen"

The end. SWEET!

Kenpachi11 03-29-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 689660)
Dude.....freaking iraq is better than us. At least they have some sort of interesting history.

America's history: French people went exploring. They found America. Hungout there for a little while. They somehow transformed into pirates and "Olde Englishmen"

The end. SWEET!

LMAO!!! that is so true my friend ^^

nobora 03-29-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 689660)

The end. SWEET!

I think hawaii is has the most culture. You know Peark harbor,BOOM! next volcano BOOM! water, BOOM! Volcano BOOM!

Kenpachi11 03-29-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobora (Post 689662)
I think hawaii is has the most culture. You know Peark harbor,BOOM! next volcano BOOM! water, BOOM! Volcano BOOM!

i think they just have bad luck...lol

nobora 03-29-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 (Post 689663)
i think they just have bad luck...lol

yea but still more intresting than the rest of u.s

alanX 03-29-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobora (Post 689662)
I think hawaii is has the most culture.

True true true! Hawaii has more history/culture that anywhere else in America, even though it just became a state in 1952. Pretty sad. Don't get me wrong, there are some things I absolutely love about America.

But...it's not a very unique country in general. Take a look at my town (Wilmington, NC)

building, building, building, house, house, building, mcdonalds. Reapeat.

Kenpachi11 03-29-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 689667)
True true true! Hawaii has more history/culture that anywhere else in America, even though it just became a state in 1952. Pretty sad. Don't get me wrong, there are some things I absolutely love about America.

But...it's not a very unique country in general. Take a look at my town (Wilmington, NC)

lol take a look at mine toccoa, GA
Gas station, gas station, gas station, resturant. Repeat lol

nobora 03-29-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 689667)

LOL where I live we have sand,sand, tree ,tree State fair, sand ,tree,wind,the Balloon fiesta,asand,sand, PowWow (native american thing)some snow, -_- thats about it.

alanX 03-29-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobora (Post 689670)
LOL where I live we have sand,sand, tree ,tree State fair, sand ,tree,wind,the Balloon fiesta,asand,sand, PowWow (native american thing)some snow, -_- thats about it.

What state is this? LOL

@Jacob: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GA is exactly like that lol. But I'd still rather live in GA than NC hahaha XP

nobora 03-29-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 689671)
What state is this? LOL

@Jacob: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GA is exactly like that lol. But I'd still rather live in GA than NC hahaha XP

new Mexico LOL why?
Here's some pics.

STATE FAIR

POW WOW

BALLOON FIESTA

CyberPunkKitty 04-26-2009 05:57 AM

I think its the fact that American just has to many different cultures that it'd be offensive to just have a main one. And when you really tink about it, the natives that were here first still sorta retain their culture, its the guys from Britian and spain and whatnot that decided they didn't like the scenary and messed it all up *nods* But meh, back on topic (lol) i think kimono are beautiful and elegant. And I totaly disagree with people who aren't asian shouldn't wear them. its a type of dress, its like telling caucasians that they can't wear baggin clothes because it more prominemt among african americans (which i am) or that african americans can't listen to japanese music or asians can't wear punk outfits an such.

Shigatsuhana 07-06-2010 12:51 PM

Kimono wearing

Wow! No one has written here for years!

I think with the invention of the internet and the world-wide networking, more non-Japanese are trying to wear kimono, and the right way! I have been wearing kimono for over 4 years now. I've had kimono for many years but didn't know how to actually wear them. You can view my pictures here of myself and friends in kimono: Kimono - a set on Flickr

Shizu 07-06-2010 02:39 PM

in my opinion, to buy online a kimono or a yukata, an asian people is much easier than for a western people. Because for example I love traditional Japanese clothes but I'm much taller than an average Japanese woman. So those kimonos and yukatas are usually to short for me. :/

With my friend we usually sew kimono and yukata for ourselves. :D In that case, it's true they're not made of japanese silk, but I love them because I made them, so they exactly look like what I wanted. :D

Shigatsuhana 04-13-2011 01:49 PM

There are so many places to buy kimono online. And it's just as easy for Western people to buy kimono as it is for Japanese. Many sites are in English and ordering is simple. Not all Western people are tall, therefore we can wear many kimono.
The rule of wearing/buying kimono is to have one as long as you are tall. I can find many kimono to fit me because I'm only 160cm. If the kimono is shorter we can adjust ohashori. If the kimono is vintage, then it's almost expected to be short and it's ok for no ohashori.
There is a whole forum called Immortal Geisha where people all over the world discuss kitsuke and kimono. Many westerners are skilled at wearing kimono.

Thunderstorm 04-18-2011 10:07 AM

Ok, maybe someone will reply to my question here so I don't have to open a new thread.:)

I have a question regarding male traditional clothing.

Basically, the difference between a male and female Yukata is that male Yukatas dont have the fancy colors and a smaller Obi? How would a man in Yukata sit down on the floor? Sitting with your feet cross-legged doesn't look like its gonna work.

My other question is: As a man you can wear a Hakama with any type of kimono except for Yukata? What other types of kimono are there? Is a Haori and an under Kimono always needed? I read that the ones with the stripes are usually worn at very formal events. ...So far I have only seen male versions in black, white, grey and navy blue. The only time I have seen fancy colors was when a J-rock band was performing on stage. So..., are any other colors actually available( if you decide not to make it yourself) or accepted?

Queenie 04-20-2011 01:14 AM

I actually bough an antique set of kimono (with all the extras and everything) while I was in kyoto for a really good deal, but i don't really have any occasion to wear it haha. Funny thing is antique kimonos are cheaper in japan as opposed to more expensive compared to the antique stuff here xD