JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#541 (permalink))
Old
Shigatsuhana (Offline)
New to JF

Kimono wearing - 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM

Wow! No one has written here for years!

I think with the invention of the internet and the world-wide networking, more non-Japanese are trying to wear kimono, and the right way! I have been wearing kimono for over 4 years now. I've had kimono for many years but didn't know how to actually wear them. You can view my pictures here of myself and friends in kimono: Kimono - a set on Flickr

"If you only read what everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." ~Haruki Murakami
(#542 (permalink))
Old
Shizu (Offline)
JF Regular

07-06-2010, 02:39 PM

in my opinion, to buy online a kimono or a yukata, an asian people is much easier than for a western people. Because for example I love traditional Japanese clothes but I'm much taller than an average Japanese woman. So those kimonos and yukatas are usually to short for me. :/

With my friend we usually sew kimono and yukata for ourselves. In that case, it's true they're not made of japanese silk, but I love them because I made them, so they exactly look like what I wanted.
(#543 (permalink))
Old
Shigatsuhana (Offline)
New to JF

04-13-2011, 01:49 PM

There are so many places to buy kimono online. And it's just as easy for Western people to buy kimono as it is for Japanese. Many sites are in English and ordering is simple. Not all Western people are tall, therefore we can wear many kimono.
The rule of wearing/buying kimono is to have one as long as you are tall. I can find many kimono to fit me because I'm only 160cm. If the kimono is shorter we can adjust ohashori. If the kimono is vintage, then it's almost expected to be short and it's ok for no ohashori.
There is a whole forum called Immortal Geisha where people all over the world discuss kitsuke and kimono. Many westerners are skilled at wearing kimono.

"If you only read what everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." ~Haruki Murakami
(#544 (permalink))
Old
Thunderstorm (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Ok, maybe someone will reply to my question here so I don't have to open a new thread.

I have a question regarding male traditional clothing.

Basically, the difference between a male and female Yukata is that male Yukatas dont have the fancy colors and a smaller Obi? How would a man in Yukata sit down on the floor? Sitting with your feet cross-legged doesn't look like its gonna work.

My other question is: As a man you can wear a Hakama with any type of kimono except for Yukata? What other types of kimono are there? Is a Haori and an under Kimono always needed? I read that the ones with the stripes are usually worn at very formal events. ...So far I have only seen male versions in black, white, grey and navy blue. The only time I have seen fancy colors was when a J-rock band was performing on stage. So..., are any other colors actually available( if you decide not to make it yourself) or accepted?
(#545 (permalink))
Old
Queenie (Offline)
New to JF

04-20-2011, 01:14 AM

I actually bough an antique set of kimono (with all the extras and everything) while I was in kyoto for a really good deal, but i don't really have any occasion to wear it haha. Funny thing is antique kimonos are cheaper in japan as opposed to more expensive compared to the antique stuff here xD