JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Silver/grey hair? - 10-02-2010, 06:07 PM

http://razberry-maori.blog.so-net.ne...i/10336698.jpg

Does anyone know how to get this type of hair :S?

I bet it would need a load of bleaching...

Wonder has anyone done this before.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2010, 11:39 PM

I've seen dye for it, but it was for an asian hair type so if you've got fine, non-black hair, it'd probably do horrible things to it. And yes, probably takes a hell of a lot of bleaching. Often the extreme colour off-the-counter dyes in japan are designed for pre-bleached hair, so I'd consult a hairdressers if I were you. They do carry silver/grey dye for people with S&P hair who choose to go grey rather than revert to brown or whatever, and they'd be able to adjust it to your hair specifically or at least keep the damage down more than you doing it yourself with an imported homekit. Just expect a lot of "Really, are you sure?" type questions and a lot of hesitancy. It's not exactly a common request.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I've seen dye for it, but it was for an asian hair type so if you've got fine, non-black hair, it'd probably do horrible things to it. And yes, probably takes a hell of a lot of bleaching. Often the extreme colour off-the-counter dyes in japan are designed for pre-bleached hair, so I'd consult a hairdressers if I were you. They do carry silver/grey dye for people with S&P hair who choose to go grey rather than revert to brown or whatever, and they'd be able to adjust it to your hair specifically or at least keep the damage down more than you doing it yourself with an imported homekit. Just expect a lot of "Really, are you sure?" type questions and a lot of hesitancy. It's not exactly a common request.
I got Asian hair... (or at least I'm sure it's asian :S.) Yeah... I'm afraid I'd have to bleach it.

I guess I should ask a hairdresser.

I'll go search for some dye first!

S&P?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I suggest you don't do it, because in my opinion it looks awful. For some reason, the new trend here is for girls to dye their hair in this way and it's terribly unflattering - it makes you look pale, tired and washed out.

It looks nice and shiny in pictures but in real life it looks awful, mainly because dying hair this colour damages it so badly at the end you just get a frizzy grey puffy mess that would look good on no-one.
That's what I'm worried about!

Maybe... I'll just leave it to the professionals...

Teru's hair looks awesome though! and perfectly straight! (it could be fake though)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Marygirl (Offline)
New to JF

10-04-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I've seen dye for it, but it was for an asian hair type so if you've got fine, non-black hair, it'd probably do horrible things to it. And yes, probably takes a hell of a lot of bleaching. Often the extreme colour off-the-counter dyes in japan are designed for pre-bleached hair, so I'd consult a hairdressers if I were you. They do carry silver/grey dye for people with S&P hair sexy lingerie who choose to go grey rather than revert to brown or whatever, and they'd be able to adjust it to your hair specifically or at least keep the damage down more than you doing it yourself with an imported homekit. Just expect a lot of "Really, are you sure?" type questions and a lot of hesitancy. It's not exactly a common request.
I once tried to bleach my hair silver white, It didn't take too
much but took a lot of time and it didn't turn out like that
either. But was still cool!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM

DO NOT attempt this yourself; especially the first time!

The darker your hair, the longer it will take to bleach the color out. And for the silvery white you have to get ALL the color out first, then add the dye. Unfortunately, the longer the bleach is in contact with your hair, the more damage there will be to the cuticle (texture). Its unavoidable, but up to a certain point it is repairable. Find a professional in the best salon you can afford and specify you want someone skilled with drastic coloring. Interview the salon and/or hairdresser in person and take a color picture with you.

After they do it the first time you will have a better idea of the process, if you have to maintain it yourself because of the expense of the professionals.

I have those two shades naturally thanks to time, but periodically I get stupid and try to bleach more of it out to the silver. I have regretted it almost every time because of the process and the upkeep; or the look if you get if you don't keep it up. My silver streak since high school is finally the major color of my roots now, but I can't wait for a bit more length to just add that metallic touch.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-04-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
DO NOT attempt this yourself; especially the first time!

The darker your hair, the longer it will take to bleach the color out. And for the silvery white you have to get ALL the color out first, then add the dye. Unfortunately, the longer the bleach is in contact with your hair, the more damage there will be to the cuticle (texture). Its unavoidable, but up to a certain point it is repairable. Find a professional in the best salon you can afford and specify you want someone skilled with drastic coloring. Interview the salon and/or hairdresser in person and take a color picture with you.

After they do it the first time you will have a better idea of the process, if you have to maintain it yourself because of the expense of the professionals.

I have those two shades naturally thanks to time, but periodically I get stupid and try to bleach more of it out to the silver. I have regretted it almost every time because of the process and the upkeep; or the look if you get if you don't keep it up. My silver streak since high school is finally the major color of my roots now, but I can't wait for a bit more length to just add that metallic touch.
This is my first time... and I'm not planning to dye it all the way to the roots.
It won't damage the hair the grows later right?

I'm still looking for one, I'm going to find the best I can for sure!

Thanks for the advice!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
10-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Uhm, that guy seems to have only dyed the top layers of his hair (as you can see some of his dark hair sticking out in the back).. But yeah, it takes a LOT of bleaching and it'll mostly take you over a month to get hair like this. Bleaching takes out a LOT of nutrients and life from your hair, which is why you need to probably bleach it once, wait 1-2 weeks, bleach it again - wait about a month and then bleach it again.. IF even that regularly. It's horrible to your hair.

The texture of that guy's hair looks horrible either way. Not healthy.. Ugh

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-04-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
Uhm, that guy seems to have only dyed the top layers of his hair (as you can see some of his dark hair sticking out in the back).. But yeah, it takes a LOT of bleaching and it'll mostly take you over a month to get hair like this. Bleaching takes out a LOT of nutrients and life from your hair, which is why you need to probably bleach it once, wait 1-2 weeks, bleach it again - wait about a month and then bleach it again.. IF even that regularly. It's horrible to your hair.

The texture of that guy's hair looks horrible either way. Not healthy.. Ugh
Yeah, I bet it feels like hay.

What I'm trying to do is... http://www.japanforum.com/gallery/sh...o=2785&cat=513

Yep... someone told me too! that it will be over time.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
10-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Ahhh, Miyavi style! Hell yeaaaaaahh! I like Miyavi's hair.. He's always so trendy, but trust me when I say that hair bleach REALLY fries the hair. Like.. FRIES it!

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast